EGR Clean

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Took my EGR off again last weekend (so much quicker second time!) as I had bought the adapted recirc pipe gasket from dealer.
The egr was very caked up again even after < 10K miles and an oil catch tank for 8k of those miles. Not has bad as first time but it still took 30 mins of intensive carb claener soak and tooth brush to get all the carp off. Suspect my flap motor is fubar. Can the cover be removed with out damaging it?

My home made EGR limiter gasket had completly corroded to a normal size hole from 4mm

Sir Monkfish

Look who's Torqueing
Apr 8, 2011
Sevenoaks, Kent
You can get the end cover off and crimp it back on again but be careful, it will be full of oil, and the rubber gasket will probably tear.

If it's like mine was (jammed open) then it will be teeth broken off the plastic 90 degree cog :(

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
If its jammed open, why will it increase mpg since it does not provide any restriction when open.

Could be a market for new cogs? Damnsight cheaper than £200 for new flap body!
Tempted to remove the butterfly flap altogether if it doesn't work - better airflow, better mpg? It has no other function than to stop engine. Mine stops perfectly well and quickly without it.

jjstiuk

Is your engine managment light on?? Mine is and the the mechanics code reader says, EGR Insufficent flow.

Gonna try a new EGR and throttle flap body.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members