DSG reliability ?

May 6, 2011
stoke on trent
as everyone probably knows ive had major dsg gearbox problems in my 2 day old boc lol but i just wanted no how many miles has your DSG done with no problems, and if it has had problems what was wrong ? ? ?

Cupra Curn

Aug 30, 2010
Swindon
14000 miles and all good here. It clunks when changing from 1st to second when first started up from cold though

Deleted member 49882

17500 miles and no problems. Car is running smoother than ever at the moment. Got this new fuel additive and I believe I can feel a difference.

HyBrId-FR

If it makes you feel any better, I've just had a full engine block replacement (under warranty) where my car had to be in for 2 weeks and I was given an Ibiza ST SE Copa 1.4 as a courtesy car.. Was due to using too much oil, as many have had problem with. The dealer sent off test results and details to Seat in Spain and the engine, it appears, had a manufacturing fault with a problem in one of the pistons and a couple of valves I believe.. My old engine had just done 4,400 miles and been back over 5 times (in 6 months, dealer only a mile away though) for topups and testing and what not.. But now I have what appears to be a lovely new engine sent over from Germany to run in - not sure whether they differ or not from the ones in Seats, but it at least has a new heat shield on the turbo inlet pipe covering in between it and the oil filter..

Anyway back on topic - my dsg sounds a little clunky sometimes although like has been mentioned, this is usally when cold. It also sometimes makes juddery sounds and clunks if in manual and in too high a gear for the speed you're going at, so say 30mph in 7th gear.. Other than that it has been fine for over 4,500 miles and 6 months now - so it would appear that you have just had some very rotten luck with your dsg control unit..

harban

Bought Ibiza 2010 1600CC - DSG "Stylence" 7 months ago, did 17K KM - started with strange sounds like clunck when changing from D to N or R to N, noises "vooooo" from the motor bay when going on low speed with A/C on, went to check up under warranty, they said everything is ok, 3 weeks ago, when switch on the ignition at early morning, very noisy motor and a bit of vibration, u feel like u got an old gaz motor with RPM 1200, once motor is heated in few minutes, RPM is back to 800, no sound, noticed later juggling and vibrating sounds when changing from 1st to 2nd, happened mostly when car is cold, went to warranty, as usual, everything is perfect, 2 days later, getting crazy, went there, some ugly words, they kept it for 3 days, sent reports to spain, came back with changing the cylnder interface, on phone, i was informed that they changed only the oil injection valves "this is what i understood", shall pick it up tomorrow, still doubtful about thig juggling was sorted out, but reading the DSG problems on the net shows that symptoms are very different than viberating, also noticed that having the ECU problem or changing the gearbox totally has nothing to do with how many kilo it did, it s a bit of luck when will you get it,
can anyone tell us the symptoms of a damaged DSG?

May 6, 2011
stoke on trent
If it makes you feel any better, I've just had a full engine block replacement (under warranty) where my car had to be in for 2 weeks and I was given an Ibiza ST SE Copa 1.4 as a courtesy car.. Was due to using too much oil, as many have had problem with. The dealer sent off test results and details to Seat in Spain and the engine, it appears, had a manufacturing fault with a problem in one of the pistons and a couple of valves I believe.. My old engine had just done 4,400 miles and been back over 5 times (in 6 months, dealer only a mile away though) for topups and testing and what not.. But now I have what appears to be a lovely new engine sent over from Germany to run in - not sure whether they differ or not from the ones in Seats, but it at least has a new heat shield on the turbo inlet pipe covering in between it and the oil filter..

Anyway back on topic - my dsg sounds a little clunky sometimes although like has been mentioned, this is usally when cold. It also sometimes makes juddery sounds and clunks if in manual and in too high a gear for the speed you're going at, so say 30mph in 7th gear.. Other than that it has been fine for over 4,500 miles and 6 months now - so it would appear that you have just had some very rotten luck with your dsg control unit..

2 weeks that isnt to bad, i dont no why its going to take them over 4 weeks to send tech report off to seat and then see what to do ?? this shouldnt take all that time should it really :/ like an engine using oil and replacing the engine thats a bigger job than replacing the gear box am i right ??? did you ring them and try rush it along or did you just sit back and wait for your car come back ??

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members