Is this guy on here? IHI Ibiza Cupra

Jun 21, 2008
Wolverhampton
that thread put me off IHI a while ago. It seems a good power solution, but maybe the Mk4 just isnt up for it. Or maybe rash's car was unlucky.

JoeCav

Jan 3, 2011
Leeds
I think Rash's car suffered from certain things that could have been avoided from what I read.

Richard07

could anyone contact rash and ask him about internals for me? Are these engines strong can they take alot?

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Im 99% sure he didnt mate. The 19mm wrist pin engines can take about 300ftlb's torque max, id personally be bricking driving one with 300ftlbs without upgrading the rods.

The 20mm wrist pin engines like the BAM code in the LCR are supposed to be stronger, though we have had them in at work with a rod out the side with 300ftlbs torque.

Richard07

so has anyone never had like 400bhp without internals before? is this the first one with over 300 and not doing internals? it must not be that bad if its lasted this long, i know it doesnt mean its not gonna go soon just depends, what breaks this rod bolts or the gudgeon pin?

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Plenty of people have had over 300 out the 1.8 20vt engines on standard internals, just not in the mk4 Ibiza. It seems it does have it's problems though as Rash had plenty after it was done and now it keeps getting sold on.

And the rods themselves tend to snap, not the bolts or the pins.

Richard07

shouldnt make any difference apart from the ibiza gearbox cos the engines the same, im going to check the car over very closely and check it top to bottom and if i find anything i wont touch it, i know what you are saying it is quite big bhp for std internals, it has full service history i think it has been well looked after i just dont know why its been passed on so many times

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
There are lots of different engine codes. It's the BAM ones that are stronger standard.

It seems pretty obvious why it has been passed on so many times but you seem pretty set on buying it. It's a bargain buy for the kit that is on it, just needs someone to take it to the next stage and sort any other issues out if there are any. Like any car that modded like that, it won't simply be a car that you buy and will have smooth trouble free ownership. Maybe the other lads have been drawn in by the figures and not realised how much looking after it will need, like any other big turbo car.

Richard07

i guess no one has had the power of rashs car yet tho to find out ha

Richard07

hahaha, im going to see the car in 3weeks if he still has it so i will keep you guys updated with condition and what its like

Jan 13, 2010
UK
he will still have it, he had it up for 9000, 8700, 8500,8000 now 7500 aint it?

trust me i have had a forged 400 + mk3 gt30 and that had its problems all the time!

standard engine with that power not good!

it will be a money pitt!

Jun 21, 2008
Wolverhampton
you could buy the car, bang some rods in and you'll still be quids in over building your own Big turbo'd car.
IIRC, rash's had problems with gearbox related things.
i have seen mk4's on here with over 300lb/ft but the people in the know suggest that you'd be running a risk.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
Hi :wave: thought id check in and say hi lol aint been on here for ages, my old ibiza has had a hell of alot of work done to it only thing that needed doing was the intetnals but the internals for a fact are safe for 350 bhp these engines are tough reliable lumps, id happily own the car again only reason i sold was i wanted to move on as id taken it as far as i wanted, i had the car origionaly mapped to 349bhp but was runnin very rich and kept blowing turbo gaskets so had it remapped to a reasonable 325ish bhp the list of mods in my build thread should be up to date, i douubt its in the same condition i kept it but it is sad to see it being sold around, people dont understand what it takes to look after and maintain these big turbo cars, thats why i moved onto bike cheaper faster and more reliable even my italian bike lol, the only probkems i ever had with the car were

1. Turbo gaskets
Cured by adding flexies inmhzhe exhaust and added a engine strut damper to stop engine twiat

2. Engine mounts ripping to shreds
Cured by having custom hard mounts installed

these were the only probkems i haabmthe post above with me quoting waste of time the rattle wasnt in the gear box it was actually the new engine mount rattling was sorted easily. May of had a few lil issues but nothing i can remember,

I was always told internals didnt need changing untill i wanted to take it to the next level, it is well worth 7.5k imo ithe bodywork and wheels has been looked after!

When running right it was a true animal i had it reliable and mint when i sold it what its like now i dont know.

So suprised no1 else has dome big turbo on these cupras yet they are as light as a shoe and ive done all the leg work finding out what needs to be done,

willox

Hi guys, i am Kyle Willox just like to say firstly Richard i think you may have been the only serious buyer, if i remeber correctly you had a fiesta? I have had the car for sale for a long time now and haven't had any viewings (maybe as am in the north of scotland). Rash you will like to know the body work is still MINT although the wheels are abit scabby and need a refurb. Only reason i have dropped the price is as i think it is a car that is being put to waste and im not taxing it as i spend all my money on karting. The car still is for sale at £6500 without tax and mot. Still has no problems and runs fine i have only done 1500 miles with the car as i only used it at weekends. Hope this is of some use :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.