Cupra 2008 grinding noise

Flagman1971

My 2008 Cupra makes a grinding noise when turning to the right at low speeds (not when stopped). I notice this when driving down sweeping ramps in the underground carpark at work. If the clutch is up it makes this noise but stops if I press the clutch down. Absolutely nothing when stopped.

If it was a clutch issue then surely it would make this noise by pressing the clutch or releasing it when stopped but it doesn't, only when driving and turning right with the clutch pedal up.

CV joint, bushes, clutch bearing ????

Any advice would be appreciated.

uncle

Apr 18, 2010
Sound like a CV joint or wheel bearing to me, the reason you will not hear it with the clutch in is that the engine is no longer putting a strain on the transmission.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
This might be a long shot but my FR had a similar noise for which the dealer replaced my steering rack and gearbox mount and still didn't fix it.
Anyway what the noise was, if you open your bonnet and look in front of the battery you will see a black plastic housing that the cables run through, ie behind lh headlamp.
If you wiggled mine it creaked like hell on top of the chassis leg. I greased mine up and its been quiet since.
In the car it sounded very noisy for a 2 minute check its worth a look.

Flagman1971

thanks for this info. The warrenty ends in September so want it sorted soon in case its something serious.

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Have you got wider wheels fitted? Mine did the same with 245's on, not rubbing on anything but upset the geometry on full lock, sounded like a cv joint gone but was the tyre "skipping", went when I put std wheels/tyres back on.......

Flagman1971

Car is totally standard which I bought from Seat dealer and previously owned by Seat UK. 6k miles and 2 years old when I bought it.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Have you got wider wheels fitted? Mine did the same with 245's on, not rubbing on anything but upset the geometry on full lock, sounded like a cv joint gone but was the tyre "skipping", went when I put std wheels/tyres back on.......

Hi Ken ,
thought you got rid of your cupra?
what you driving now?

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Hi Rob, just snooping around on here! Yeh, p/exed the Cupra for an Evo X paddle-shift in a mad moment! Guess I got tired of traction issues with the fwd..... Can't complain of that now! The car takes the p!ss from a standing start and haven't come close to the limit on the road yet! Tweaked it already to ~ 400bhp, feels about as quick as the Cupra now:happy:, more to come with a bigger intercooler but will need uprated clutch pack to cope.... Way different to drive in a mostly positive way, lot dearer to run, average 20 mpg and £460 road tax:cry:
Still, can't take it with you:D
A pic:
Combe2011-1081.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.