What to Look out for.

Finan

i went jap.. :O
Jan 18, 2009
Eíre
bebo.com
Finally thinking of taking that step up to getting a GTi Ibiza.
Just wanted to know what i should be looking out for?
The Car has been laying up for a while with 101k on the clock.
its a 1999 Seat Ibiza GTi Cupra 8v.

What Should i Look out for?
Also whats the bhp on these models?
cheers :)

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
8vs were 115bhp in the book, but most are over when rolling roaded - more like 120ish (my old 8v gave 124bhp).

Usual stuff to look for that is Ibiza specific (i.e. above what you'd check anyway on a 12 year old car) would be rust in sills under front doors, rust on rear arches, pedal box.

JacketJ

Jul 13, 2008
Hampshire
The 8v was listed at 115bhp although some made more than that standard, seems Seat underrated them a bit.

Worth checking the pedal box to make sure that the clutch pedal bracket isn't breaking. You can do this by opening the driver glovebox under the steering wheel and looking at the box as you push the clutch pedal. You don't want to see any flex or hear any creaking/cracking noises.

Also check the rear arches arches for rust on the inside lip which can cause problems on these.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
8v's are relatively bullet proof to be honest. A good service to get everything free'd up and the fluids changed should be about what it needs. Check the tyres too

Check for rust and pedal box problems, also see if you can find a cambelt change in the history as thats supposed to be done at 60k. Just basic second hand car stuff after that.

Finan

i went jap.. :O
Jan 18, 2009
Eíre
bebo.com
thanks a lot, would you recommend the GTI?
also what mods would you recommend?
as the car i'm looking at is completly standard lol.

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
In my opinion, it is a lot, yes. (Just above average though) But if it's been well maintained all its life, reasonable condition, might be worth a punt?

Deleted member 32025

if its been serviced and looked after, and the person you're buying it off doesn't seem like a total idiot I wouldn't worry too much about that mileage. Its only when it doesn't get serviced regularly or the parts aren't replaced when needed and you carry on putting loads of miles on the clock when you have to start to worry.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.