This is what a stage 2 1.4TSI truthfully makes

Mar 13, 2010
Down from what companies claim but still decent figures, thing is tho the engine doesnt need much over 200 ponies to make it really shift, the 1/4 times on some of the bocs are really good for a little 1.4.

But an interesting read to be honest.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
We will see what my 1/4 mile times are next week-end at inters. I will however have no seats in the rear or spare wheel hehehehehhee

yea_good_1

LOVIN THE BOC
Sep 24, 2010
Jason what you need to do is to go on amds rollers see what theirs say mine made 236 on there so we can get a comparison of the two dynos

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Ive got the plots for the revo graphs but it looks to me like they have edited them together in a excel graph plotter, as these are not proper dyno graphs.
h

I have the originals off the dyno, not the marketing ones

lukeyyyyy

Jul 4, 2010
Worsley
Slightly off topic,

What does stage 1 achieve in terms of 0-60?

I know the stated times for a stock cupra is down as 7.2, but I can't see that being right?

yea_good_1

LOVIN THE BOC
Sep 24, 2010
Yea I emailed the graph to you didn't I lol would he interesting to see the difference coz I have intercooler and ITG don't I can't see it making that much difference surely!

Sep 2, 2010
Leeds
Interesting thread here. Do you think its down to different dyno's or Revo just exaggerating their figures? Could maybe post this in the Revo section and hear what they have to say on the matter. Im sure Revo claim their stage 2 Cupra has 247bhp?

May 4, 2009
Leeds
Interesting thread here. Do you think its down to different dyno's or Revo just exaggerating their figures? Could maybe post this in the Revo section and hear what they have to say on the matter. Im sure Revo claim their stage 2 Cupra has 247bhp?

dont dispute that, i mean they claim a stock 1.4tsi has 196hp when they dont.

revo.png

Sep 2, 2010
Leeds
Must be the dyno's that Revo use are very generous then? Which is misleading as I thought my car with stage 1 has 215bhp but in reality it's probably around 200bhp.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
It is what we were running last year at inters mate. Myself and Mardon both went stage 1 on the day and we were both getting those figures.

Revo Kev

www.onlyrevo.com
Feb 24, 2003
www.onlyrevo.com
As M0rk mentioned this is what Bill would refer to as the 'dyno lottery'. No dyno is the be all end all when it comes to figures, the only way to see the output of your car is by running it before and after making sure it's seeing the same load values it would do on the road and making sure the car has adapted to it's new settings (not the conditions). It doesn't matter what other cars make on the same dyno same day unless you have all the data showing that the load, inlet temps, cylinder temps and fuel quality are all the same.

Settings on Revo MED17:

Performance Mode A - this is for 95ron and is detuned so it can be run in poor quality conditions
Performance Mode B - this is for a decent quality fuel 98ron or similar, but isn't tuned to the full potential
Performance Mode C - this will make a good 5-10bhp more than B and an increase in torque throughout the rev range. If you want to make the most power you need to run this mode!

You can see the full picture of the peak power on the chart posted above, on the three dynos we originally tested on all the 1.4TSI cars made more than stock quoted power. These cars really suffer from heatsoak, which means there is a tendency to see even more difference between cars on a dyno day.

To make really good power out of these engines you need a decent intercooler.

Dyno days are a waste of time if you're going to take the figures seriously...

...all of this is a waste of time really as you're only looking at peak figures. Peak figures do not tell you how the car drives, its the 'area under the curve' that's important!

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
As M0rk mentioned this is what Bill would refer to as the 'dyno lottery'. No dyno is the be all end all when it comes to figures, the only way to see the output of your car is by running it before and after making sure it's seeing the same load values it would do on the road and making sure the car has adapted to it's new settings (not the conditions). It doesn't matter what other cars make on the same dyno same day unless you have all the data showing that the load, inlet temps, cylinder temps and fuel quality are all the same.

Settings on Revo MED17:

Performance Mode A - this is for 95ron and is detuned so it can be run in poor quality conditions
Performance Mode B - this is for a decent quality fuel 98ron or similar, but isn't tuned to the full potential
Performance Mode C - this will make a good 5-10bhp more than B and an increase in torque throughout the rev range. If you want to make the most power you need to run this mode!

You can see the full picture of the peak power on the chart posted above, on the three dynos we originally tested on all the 1.4TSI cars made more than stock quoted power. These cars really suffer from heatsoak, which means there is a tendency to see even more difference between cars on a dyno day.

To make really good power out of these engines you need a decent intercooler.

Dyno days are a waste of time if you're going to take the figures seriously...

...all of this is a waste of time really as you're only looking at peak figures. Peak figures do not tell you how the car drives, its the 'area under the curve' that's important!

thanks for that Kev. This was what I was also eventually getting at. the fact that i did not make your claimed figures did surprise me innitially and as I really know nothing about dynos i was perplexed. That said however you will see I have not been slamming the map in the least as I am very happy with the performance of the car and compared to the figures vRSy got i am not concerned at all as he is running the same with an induction kit. I agree that figures mean nothing in essence as long as the performance is right and maintained which on the boc does appear to be the case. You can see on the feuling side too there are no issues which means the car is fueling well and does not appear to be misfiring either (which makes me very happy) so Sunday will be interesting at inters. Will come over and have a chat with you guys too.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
One word of caution I'd add to these kinds of thread are that whilst manufacturing tolerances are MUCH better than they used to be, no 2 cars are going to put down like for like figures, even with the same engine type as:

1) Each car may be adapted to it's own daily drive style
2) Engines are not blue-printed, hence will have differences in real world performance. I had two LCR225's from new, and they felt different power wise (nearly 10% from bum dyno). I always felt the first car was never 100%, but revisions in part numbers and state of 'run in' can all affect the numbers, as can the state of yor hardware (coil packs wearing for instance!)
3) Even over a 10k service life cycle you can see a reduction in performance at the tail end of the service cycle compared to a recently serviced car. Bad fuel can accentuate this.

Also I've never been a great believer that dyno numbers translate to a great drive. Whilst they are a useful tool to support the process of defining the effectiveness of your modification upgrade path, or to diagnose / healthcheck your car, once you put the car back on the road under 'normal' operating conditions these figures are almost 'by the by'.

A driver who has advanced skills and decent training or track experience can drive around the odd few bhp of difference.

Lets be clear, at 225bhp, even if the figures are out by 10bhp, that is less than 5%, and it's questionnable you are going to feel that through the seat of your pants unless your sister was the princess featured in the book 'The Princess and the Pea'!

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise