seat recliner!

hussain1.2

hello, im not too sure if this is a common problem but i have a 3 door ibiza and both of the seat reclinders broke, so people cannot get into the back without me moving the seat forward and spinning the little circle thing to make the seat go right forward, is this fixable? all of my friends are over 6 foot and this is becoming annoying, has anyone had this problem and fixed it? please let me know:rolleyes:

hussain1.2

i checked for a coin but there isnt anything there, i looked very closley and when i pull the lever, only the right side of the seat reclines untill it cant anymore because of the left side being stuck, so frustraiting coz if i want to sell the car, i must take it to the dealer and get ripped off

Ac2709

Mar 31, 2011
Blackpool
I just went and had a proper look at it mate. It seems like the little wire that pulls up the lock when you lift up the black handle only works on one side. The wire seems like its too loose.

If you get the chance go and stick your hands under both seats and see if one of the wires feel too loose. If you pull the wire towards you and pull the handle on the seat it will pop forward. However, after this i have no idea how to fix this. :S

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
I had exactly the same problem and i had a proper good look, turns out it was a pen which got stuck in the mechanism, really struggled to get it out

ukreddevil

Jul 20, 2009
Hove
I got the same problem just out of warranty and now I can't get my son into his car seat!! I rolled up to seat cover so I could see left side the catch is working the right side isn't but wire is loose how the hell do I fix it without breaking it?

hussain1.2

ive checked loads of times for a coin, i found a coin but it wasnt near the mechanisim, both of the seats cant go back...i found the little wire/string but i duno how to fix it, has anybody fixed it at the main dealer? i mean this isnt that much of a big problem but the worst thing is to sell it, whos going to buy a car when the seats dont recline.:cry:

hussain1.2

still the same problem, its a great car but materials are pathetic, my drinks holder has now also broken

hussain1.2

mate did u fix it in the end? mine are still broken, its embarrasing, my friends got a banged up 106 and his seats work and mine dont

Rawsharc

My passenger one went a few weeks ago and it can be quite a simple fix.

To start with sit in the back seat with the front seat in its driving position. reach down under the seatand find the locking mechanism that keeps the seat back locked (from memory they are located on the inner sides of the seat next to the transmission tunnel). You can access them by putting your hand under the seat from the back and feeling for the cable, if you give it a pull the catch should release and the seat back will pivot forward as it should when it was working!!

Now to fix the problem, if you look at the bottom of the folded forward seat back there is a join where the front fabric and back fabric of the seat meet. unfold the fabric so you can get your hand inside and give yourself some room. if possible slide the back of the seat up as high as you can but warn you this isnt easy due to two springs that keep the shape of the seat backs!!

if you reach up and find the cable that runs from the handle down, then back up, then down again in an S shape on its side. this cable needs to be kept tight in this shape for the mechanism to work. If it becomes detached or a clip breaks and you end up with a too loose cable it wont release the catch.

the fix i did used two heavy duty cable ties, the 3/4mm wide ones, not the really thin ones as it needs to be capable under a slight load. If you grab the cable as it comes down from the release handle and pull it down as far as you can until you get a nice tensioned curve before it goes back up tothe top of the seat on the opposite side. at the bottom of the curve you have created cable tie it to one of the holes in the seat back frame. I used 2 ties as the distance was quite large but also gave more adjustment. You will have to experiment a bit with how tight the ties need to be for optimum release of the mechanism.

Apologies for my drawing, best i can do right now! :ban: anyway the red is the route the release cable takes. the green is where you need to put the cable ties to put the tension back and create the shape again. As i said above i used a hole in the seat frame that was there to cable tie to, you could use the springy frame foam supports but i didnt think they would be strong enough long term!
8QdElnnf

since i did the fix ive had no problems!!

hope that helps

ukreddevil

Jul 20, 2009
Hove
still the same problem, its a great car but materials are pathetic, my drinks holder has now also broken

I can go one better than that, before I got round to fixing the seat, I was driving the missus to work and the oil pump blew up, broke the con rod putting a hole in the block straight through and out the sump too, took it too frosts who after much arguing with them and seat about the problems I have had with a car that is only 3 and half years old they gave me a quote of £6437 to fix it by replacing the whole engine, which they only replaced half of under warranty at the beginning of year........its taken me 6 weeks to right this I have been so angry! :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

hussain1.2

I can go one better than that, before I got round to fixing the seat, I was driving the missus to work and the oil pump blew up, broke the con rod putting a hole in the block straight through and out the sump too, took it too frosts who after much arguing with them and seat about the problems I have had with a car that is only 3 and half years old they gave me a quote of £6437 to fix it by replacing the whole engine, which they only replaced half of under warranty at the beginning of year........its taken me 6 weeks to right this I have been so angry! :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:
i feel sorry for you, i pray to god nothing happens to my car, its my first car and i had really really bad luck for a month, then everything was perfect, put a kandn panel filter in it, put some wheels on, sounds good and loooks good, then the seats broke, engine managment light is on, powersteerings gone all heavy and its due for a service AND now i need new tires.......someone give me strength

dErZ

Jan 29, 2008
Surrey
When mine went, I bought a new cable from Seat. I stripped the seat which involved taking the round knob adjuster and teh circlip behind it, knocking that bar through and then moving the seat cover upto the handle and then hooking the new one in. Was a pig to do...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.