average mpg - 2.0tdi sport

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
I'm on 18's now,and do notice about 3mpg less. but 245 tyres are moohasive chrispdust,so that my sap a bit more! :)

Joec1

Feb 9, 2010
Wiltshire
day to day im getting around 48 ish from mine (bog standard on the standard 17's) according to my trip computer,

i have managed 51 a few times but never (no matter how much i drive steady and draft lorries on the mway for my commute) in the higher 50's (54-60) and have just put it down to the wheel size... although using millers (or STP) seems to help a little...

Mao

Apr 27, 2010
Birmingham
I'm averaging about 44. I do need my intake manifold flap replaced though. Not sure if that's detrimental to the mpg.

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
I do an 8 mile urban commute that is pretty congested on the way home and I average mid 40s.

On a run doing 75-80mph, I can see low to mid 50s, but going slower makes my consumption worse.

These figures are off the car and I know they are flattering. Real mpg is worse that indicated.

The car is totally stock and runs 16" wheels.

Those getting 60mpg are either fibbers or an annoyance to other road users ;-0

Mxms

Your MPG will improve the warmer it gets.

In my old 2005 2.0TDi I got 60.2 doing sensible speeds going to the NEC from Blackpool. This was when it was mapped though, before that I could never get much more than 55, bring on the warmer weather and watch the MPG go through the roof!

No such MPG on the A5 but 45 from a 3.0 is nice ;)

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
fully loaded 6 hour run back from cornwall with the climate running, dash said 39.6 with average speed of 45 mph , is that good or bad ? much better than my old petrol golf for sure

mm

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
fully loaded 6 hour run back from cornwall with the climate running, dash said 39.6 with average speed of 45 mph , is that good or bad ? much better than my old petrol golf for sure

mm

I reckon that's about right. The cruise isn't the best way to get decent economy in my opinion as it can't feather the throttle like a human can. On our way to and from Cornwall last month we managed just about 50mpg. We tend not to bother with the climate control too much, so that improves things a little. Suffering a 1.8 petrol Insignia at the moment while my Altea is getting repaired. 30mpg hurts like a kick in the gonads especially when the performance is so poor. Just got some 18" rims to go on it, so it'll be interesting to see how the mpg's fare when they're on.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
I had a Golf Mk6 TDI hire car on holiday. It seemed to have a 77kw engine whatever that is 1.6?
The power was abysmal, no grunt whatsover at any speed/revs. Its taken me 2 days to get use to the Altea power delivery - wife keeps telling ne to stop being boyracer.
However the mpg was a different story. Did a 280 mile trip x2 to Barcelaona. 90% motorway, all clear (including climb over pyranees) - did 51mpg at a steady 80 (averaged 65).
The car was clearly setup to cruise at this speed and mapped accordingly - the mpg was no better at 70 or 65, but dropped quite a bit over 85.
Far cry from 2.0 disappointing mpg but I'd rather have the power.... :)

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
OK so I reloaded the OE map and set off for in-laws 70 mile motorway run - maintained steady true 75 and got 41.5 mpg - brilliant me thinks so its the remap guzzeling fuel. Coming back I only got 35mpg in exactly the same run - except going I had a strong tail wind, retrun was a strong headwind.
So still only 38 mpg.
What else could be causing this low mpg?
I've checked all air inlet ducting, maf is less than 2 years old (so it could be this), all filters are new within past 5000 miles.
My EGR flap is knackered but since its stuck open and disconnected I don't know how this could affect mpg.
Confused

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.