Anyone run with a set of 4 Toyo R888's on a Cupra?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
If so, interested to know outright grip difference on the bends over any other tyre experienced.

Ta,

Al

NigelCupra

May 31, 2011
Warsash, South Coast
I have ran 888's on other cars and the level of grip in the dry over other traditional road tyres is outstanding. No good in the wet and will wear out very quickly too :)

gazbcupra

Jan 20, 2011
+1 i had a set on my clio 197 and they were awesome! they were alot better than i imagined in damp conditions but my god stay away from puddles!!

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
A you meaning on the track versus other track tyres?

Recently fitted 4 R1R's which are the same compound as the 888's. On the road with standard suspension they are good and have a great feel to them but outright grip over the Bridgestone RE050A's they replaced is not hugely better. Grip is good but not signifficantly better

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
A you meaning on the track versus other track tyres?

Recently fitted 4 R1R's which are the same compound as the 888's. On the road with standard suspension they are good and have a great feel to them but outright grip over the Bridgestone RE050A's they replaced is not hugely better. Grip is good but not signifficantly better

Don't want to hijack, how long did the R1Rs last? Thinking about them next. Would you buy them again? Tried the T1Rs?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Cheers. I have just put 4 R888's on my Pro Race 1.2 wheels to try out as everything I have ever read on any car has said outstanding - still better than anything else out there :). Just never read anyone with them on a Leon.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
TFSI Mike had them on iirc.

I have R1R's on at the min and think there deffinatly an improvment over normal road tyres, you do need to get heat into them though. There wearing pretty well aswell, about the same as the pilot sport 2's i had on previously.

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Aye he has KW V3's too. Hope he pops on as keen to know.

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
Reply to invisible kid RE R1R's:

They seem to be lasting better than i expected. they are treadwear 140 which is the same as the Potenza's.

I would buy them again yes, but the best everyday performance tyres are getting better all the time (F1 2's, PS3's, supersposts etc) on a warm day the grip from the latest potenza's is not so far away from these. Maybe i was extecting too much from the toyo R1R's. They are great tyres and the feel is good, grip is excellent but i'm not sure if they are better enough to justify the price tag and wear rates.
They are also not to be used in freezing temperatures as they can crack so are warm weather use only

I had T1r's about 4 years ago on my mk1 Leon. They were terrible then and tyres have come on a long way since then. Its an old design there are much better tyres available than T1R's

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Had a set on my Mk2, awesome grip, sold them to a guy in Scotland............

Yeah I think that was Willie. I drove his MK1 LCR with 888's at Knockhill in the dry and wet and was surprised by how good they were in the wet.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
He only had front ones on though I think. Very keen to see how the car performs in bends with 4 fitted :)

Poverty

I had r1rs not the r888's.

If its track use only r888's all the way, if its road and track supersports all the way. Im going to be doing some timed track days soon, so will see how they stand up to some serious abuse!

tehguy

Sep 9, 2010
If you have a lot of money and you're doing a track day then R888's are the only thing you should be thinking about. Absolutely fantastic things, and I believe the slickest road legal tyres you can get. **** in the wet and wear very quickly but you cannot get a better tyre for track.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Will see how they are - maybe get them on the car this coming weekend for a tester. I had two previously but only on the rear and Kumho track tyres up front which were garbage.

I have the GG compound all round too which will hopefully be a good grip and wear compromise.

Poverty

If you have a lot of money and you're doing a track day then R888's are the only thing you should be thinking about. Absolutely fantastic things, and I believe the slickest road legal tyres you can get. **** in the wet and wear very quickly but you cannot get a better tyre for track.

Dunlop Direzzas are better but r888s are more readily available

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
The Direzzas are mega expensive. They have a rep of lasting a lot longer on the track tho so are around the same value for money as the 888's . . . . if you can afford to buy them in the first place :lol:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise