Wheel spacer removal? Longer wheel bolts.

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Hi all, just picked up a set of tt rims 7.5j 17", my car is currently on standard 16" cupra multispokes fitted with spacers up front by the previous owner: if I need to take the spacers off how do I do it? ( I have no experience with these!) and going from 7j to 7.5j will I need longer wheel bolts? Thanks for any advice, sorry for asking what may seem a daft question, thanks 20vroper.

r14rossi

May 18, 2010
uk
Hi all, just picked up a set of tt rims 7.5j 17", my car is currently on standard 16" cupra multispokes fitted with spacers up front by the previous owner: if I need to take the spacers off how do I do it? ( I have no experience with these!) and going from 7j to 7.5j will I need longer wheel bolts? Thanks for any advice, sorry for asking what may seem a daft question, thanks 20vroper.

try it mate, see if it fits! should be fine. good choice with the tt comps, i love them too, they fit to loads of cars, so it's worth a try!

Last edited by a moderator:

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
Wheel off > pull spacer off (unless they're bolted to the hub - so unscrew from hub) > Wheel back on

oldskool

you wont need longer wheel bolts mate . If the spacers are bolted to the hub then more than likely they will be standard wheel bolts which means you can use them on your tt wheels, if however the spacer is not bolted to hub then chances are the wheel bolts will be longer ones so you will need standard ones on there because they may bottom out or poke through the back and damage the abs ring. Just take one off and measure the length of it and im sure someone on here will know what the standard length is. I have a feeling its 25mm of thread.

Dec 19, 2006
Not sure if the standard wheel bolts can be used on all aftermarket rims due to the taper on the head of the bolt if iirc the standard bolts have a curved taper so you might need new bolts anyway. Check this before doing them up tight as something will end up getting damaged.

r14rossi

May 18, 2010
uk
they should be fine, just try them! chances are that if they're already longer bolts or that they fit fine to the hub depending on your spacers

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Thanks everyone, I picked these up after inters on Saturday, and tried one of them on the car on Sunday. I knew the 16s needed the spacers to clear the brembo's and a few weeks ago I took a front wheel off to clean the calliper up a bit and shat myself when the the spacer span because I thought how do I get the wheel back on after if it just spins! Anyway managed it no dramas, don't think the tt wheels I've got will need the spacers as they are obviously a larger rim. What I have noticed is the 16s are et 32 and the tt rims are et42. So as regards to taking the spacers off when I fit the tt rims I think they must be bolted to the hub, I've got no previous experience with spacers so I'll take another look. The tt rims seem to have a chamferred bolt hole on them which matches my bolts, the problem I had on trying to fit the rims was that the standard wheel brace is very unsuitable and basically no use due to the bolts being recessed so much on the tt rims, I'm going to need a proper cross type wheel brace. The tyres on the rims seem to have a legal amount of tread on them but I wouldn't be surprised if mr plod spotted something to his dis liking! I'll get some pics up hopefully of the rims fitted at weekend, thanks for Reading, 20vroper ps I'll be keeping the spacers I'm affraid as I may run the 16s in the winter if it's snowy with some winter tyres.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise