Replacing cigarette lighter with engine start button?

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
Does anyone know if this has been done before? or how to do it? I'm not a smoker and it just annoys me having it there, so I'm thinking a start engine button would be nice, or has anyone other good ideas about what could be placed there instead?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Just need to figure out the wires from the ignition switch that power the solonoid on the starter, sounds like a cool idea.:)

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Not really, it's just the wires from the ignition switch that activate the solonoid for the starter, all you'd need to do was get to the ignition switch and work out which wires do what i.e. there'll be the ones that are connected when you switch the ignition on and then there'll be others that are connected when you turn the key the extra part to start the car.:)

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
yea should be a easy modifaction, just wondering if anyone had done it before to save me some time. I've got a few things to put right on my car first then I'll figure this one out and get a guide up
I cant be the only one thinking the cigarette lighter is a waste of space

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Well I'm a smoker and I don't use mine ( Yeh I know shoot me now), I might beat you to it lol, on a cordy vario tdi:D

FRozz

Oct 17, 2010
Romania
It may be a bit more difficult than you think. In short you will be creating a switch that effectively hotwires the car. I dont know alot about the wiring system but imagine it has some sort of security built in to prevent this.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The immo but I think you could just leave the existing wires in place and run another couple down to the lighter for a switch. Probably need some sort of cover so it doesn't get pressed while the engine's running though.:)

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I have had a starter button in various BMW's and they end up being more of a gimmick than practical but do look good and fun to use initially.

Only downside is you would loose you 12v feed that some use to power ipods/iphones and such like. You will still need to put the main key in to override the immobiliser before you could start the car.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
You would have to either still insert the key or have the immobilizer chip from the key permanatly fixed near the ignition barrel. The latter is obviously quite a security risk. If you go with the first option then why bother doing it? It would be more hassle putting in the keys, turning to "on" and then pressing the start button - might as well just turn it over!

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
It really is more of a gimmicky thing than a practical thought. My plan is to have the driver insert the key and turn, then press the button. Which is the method in a few cars I've been in, as you usually have to uslock the steering anyway.
My only hiccup at the minute is do I just give it the ability to start the engine and stop the engine, or just the former? As I could see myself leaning on the button, as I usually rest my arm there. Really depends on the button I guess.
Does any one have any idea of the wiring that it would require?

vt-marty

Manual is for Peasants
Nov 21, 2007
Marske by the Sea
dont forget the steering lock, key needed in ignition to avoid that jamming on when you turn the wheel...

back in my honda days its a common mod....people with integra's and civics trying to emmulate teh S2000 starter button. but you still need the key in to avoid teh mechanical steering lock...as you do in teh S2000 anyway afaik...

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Seems like a lot of work with high potential for issues/invalid warrenty etc for not a lot if you ask me. Plus resale time I'd certainly be put off if someone had fiddled with the ignition and so on on a car.

DanH

Jun 24, 2010
Warrington, Cheshire
As I have no warranty, I would be interested in jumping the switch off the ignition lead. Obviously still put the key in and turn it twice then instead of turning again to start simply push the button. The Audi A5 starter button fits in cig lighter place apparently.

If someone does a how-to then I will do it but don't fancy experimenting when I know nothing on the subject

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
Seems like a lot of work with high potential for issues/invalid warrenty etc for not a lot if you ask me. Plus resale time I'd certainly be put off if someone had fiddled with the ignition and so on on a car.

good point, I think I'll leave it for now as plan to upgrade next year. What could I have there instead?

I really dont like having the cigarette lighter there

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
You can maybe just get a 12v cover for it - your SEAT dealer should be able to sort you out with one relatively cheap.

I got the dealer to throw in the "smokers kit" when I bought my Ecomotive, because although I don't smoke, I much prefer the look of the proper lighter rather than the plasticky 12v flap you get by default, and the little ashtray that fits in the front drinks holder is useful for parking tokens etc.

Just goes to show: horses for courses an' all that! ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members