Changing rear discs

Cos

20VT, bitches!
Aug 27, 2010
Brighton
I'm in the process of fitting new discs and pads on the car, just having a little trouble trying to remove the carriers

I can't get my head round to see what type of tool is needed to remove the bolts. I'm certain it's a splined bolt with a torx head, but does anyone know the proper size? I don't want to round them more than I have already.

Thanks

PS: Car is a 2006 1.8T FR

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
I don't think it's splined, I thought it was just an allen key required. It has been quite some time since I changed my own rear discs though.

Cos

20VT, bitches!
Aug 27, 2010
Brighton
Tried 6, too small, tried 8, too big, tried 7, slightly too small :S

I fear I may have chewed the head to bits trying different types of tool, and may just have to drill them out

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Tried 6, too small, tried 8, too big, tried 7, slightly too small :S

I fear I may have chewed the head to bits trying different types of tool, and may just have to drill them out

I had to hammer an 8pm in because they had rusted. It's definitely 8mm though because I bought new ones

bisto48

May 8, 2010
Oxford
why do you need to remove the carriers? I just removed the caliper from the sliders and removed the screw from the disc and a couple of belts with a hammer and the disc came off

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
why do you need to remove the carriers? I just removed the caliper from the sliders and removed the screw from the disc and a couple of belts with a hammer and the disc came off

I was thinking that,been 4 years since i changed my rear discs and pads but i don't remember needing a allen key but it could just be my memory going:D

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley

I've changed the discs on a couple of cars with this caliper and not had to remove the carrier. If the disc won't pass, try turning it snd trying again

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
Calipers are 13mm bolt 15mm nut to loosen and the carriers are 8mm hex head.

I had the same problem with mine i thought it was a torx bit originally because it felt like there was alot of play in there !

i had to use a bar about 60cm and wd40 to break them because they were on so bloody tight i though i was going the wrong way at a point.

This will do it

But i bought a 3/8 drive hex set as they're hand to have around
This one

Cos

20VT, bitches!
Aug 27, 2010
Brighton
I managed to get the old ones off without removing the carriers, but the new ones are a tad thicker, and I don't want to scratch them up.

I was using a torx bit at first Lew, but it seems to have chewed it up a tad. Might have to hammer the 8mm bit in

Thanks for your help all

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
I managed to get the old ones off without removing the carriers, but the new ones are a tad thicker, and I don't want to scratch them up.

I was using a torx bit at first Lew, but it seems to have chewed it up a tad. Might have to hammer the 8mm bit in

Thanks for your help all

I did the exact same i think i was using a T55 or maybe T50 as it seemed to "bite".

Gave up in fear of rounding the nut off (which it had started todo) I hammered in my 8mm allen (hex) just to make sure it was in as far as possible - I think youll be ok mate just replace it with a new bolt after. Other guys recommended using thread lock when replacing so I did that too.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

Thanks for your help all

I agree with you, having rusted away quite a lot of material, the old ones come off easily enough, but if buying the correct quality of new discs, then you will normally find that they will not slip in without removing the carriers - I'm sure lots of bodgers do hammer them in, but what's the point in that when using new parts.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members