Audi S3 IHI PE1820 build.

welly.

Badger 5 Edition
Oct 4, 2010
Stroud, Gloucestershire
Another milestone on the road to completion yesterday - the head.

I'm a bit nervous of the 20V heads due to their tightness on the inlet side, so enlisted the help of a friend who has got some reasonable experience with them....

Tufftybloke!

All his work on the head, stem seals and cam seals have all been replaced. The stem seals were a bit weepy and the cam seals were completely shot and leaking. So hopefully no more leakyness now.

Photos:

tuffty1.jpg

tuffty2.jpg

tuffty3.jpg

Head is now back with me at home after collecting yesterday.

Big thanks to Tuffty for doing this - a lot of skill, work and time went into it to complete it. Thanks dude.

Awaiting oil and coolant line's completion tomorrow and we should be good to go on building back up...

Also trial fitted the TIP to see how it fits - well is the answer....

35.jpg

welly.

Badger 5 Edition
Oct 4, 2010
Stroud, Gloucestershire
OK, so had a night on it tonight.

Initially concerned that the turbo oil return hose was a little short - however it turned out to be fine.

Many thanks to Bill for grabbing them for me today :).

So... here they are:

36.jpg

Score. Total cost of £136.96 wasn't the cheapest, however they are made out of PTFA internal braided hose - so should be pretty heat proof.

I have also heat wrapped (two layer, firstly with exhaust wrap, and then with silver foil tape followed by SS wrap straps) the two pipes that will run underneath the manifold.

37.jpg

Thats done, it was time to start rebuilding..... Started by fitting the exhaust mani to the head, and then the head to the car. Only mocking at this point.

Fitted the oil lines to the turbo and then the coolant lines. Basically I followed my normal rebuild procedure... lol. Torqued the head, fitted turbo, fitted remaining coolant lines, etc etc etc.

Have finished up the night in this state by close of play tonight...

38.jpg

Engine bay as is.

39.jpg

Coolant return pipe coming out of the turbo and winding it's way around the bay to the original coolant K04 return feed.

40.jpg

Here, Bill has welded the 007P directly the the TIP 76mm joiner. This is purely a space saving measure as it means less hosing in the engine bay.

41.jpg

Oil return, coolant feed and oil feed pipes visible along the bottom of the head/turbo area.

So, all in all a good night. Spent a little while standing back admiring it.... lol. (sad...)

On a side note, the funny story from the evening is as follows.

Get home, start fitting the oil return line and the gasket falls down somewhere in the engine bay. Arse. It's grey so finding it in a black engine bay is next to impossible.

Spend an hour or so poking around looking for it. Nowhere to be seen. Stopped briefly as Dane came to pick up the hybrid from my yard, then eventually found it luring down on one of the heat shields.

Now, we have a new (and bonkers) labradoodle puppy, who has taken to sitting under my car (as she's up in the air). I suspect she has actually eaten some missing bolts that were under there - and aren't now.

I manage to poke the gasket out from where it was, and it dropped to the deck.

At which point the puppy promptly saw, and ate it (it was only a paper gasket). Amused I was not. In fact I went absolutely bonkers having spent an hour looking for the damn thing.

Then had to go to Bill's to get another suitable gasket.

Bloody dog! :mad:

welly.

Badger 5 Edition
Oct 4, 2010
Stroud, Gloucestershire
Looking good, you do know that relay box against the silicone elbow is easy to remove and relocate the relays? Will give you more room.

No need mate - there is clearance there so why mate it more difficult than it need to be? The ABS pipework will all still be there anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :thumbup:

welly.

Badger 5 Edition
Oct 4, 2010
Stroud, Gloucestershire
Another long night spent in the garage last night, however it did bear some fruit....

It's done - a few odds and sods aside at least. Awaiting delivery of a few pipes and fittings, however, the bulk of the work is now completed.

Usual stuff done last night, timed the engine, fitted the timing belt covers, inlet manifold etc etc etc.

So, will finish up tonight, and then it's ready to roll up to Bill's at the weekend - which is nice.

Photos:

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
laggier.. pulls max from 5krpm... more torque more power, less low end, but brutal top end..
kind of the opposite of the hybrid (which personally I thought worked superbly on wellys)

its more drivable on the PE, as its not as On off as the hybrid was.. which was tiring to stop it just wanting to like like stink everytime you breathed on the throttle.. economy is marginally improved with the pe also.. (cost of the above I think)

wellys the best guy to comment.. he may pass by this thread

welly.

Badger 5 Edition
Oct 4, 2010
Stroud, Gloucestershire
laggier.. pulls max from 5krpm... more torque more power, less low end, but brutal top end..
kind of the opposite of the hybrid (which personally I thought worked superbly on wellys)

its more drivable on the PE, as its not as On off as the hybrid was.. which was tiring to stop it just wanting to like like stink everytime you breathed on the throttle.. economy is marginally improved with the pe also.. (cost of the above I think)

wellys the best guy to comment.. he may pass by this thread

I did pass by eventually....

The PE was definitely a slow old girl to get going, BUT this is a symptom of only running it on a 1.8 engine with a large tubular manifold IMHO. Bigger displacement would have given better lower down oomph.

On the road, the drive was very different. As Bill said it was far far more drivable than the hybrid set up, as it didn't just want to go all the time.

Top end power was evil which was nice, and once you battled through the lag, the turbo performed very well.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.