Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

Isabel7

:)I am pleased I found this post. I have had a problem with water leak into the footwell. repaired once but has recurred. it seems like there is a design fault. will take it up with seat dealer in shoreham.

holli

if your car under warranty take it to shoreham but if not they will charge alot to fix.a friend did mine all ok now,check the pollen filter as well though as when car serviced they dont always put them in right.i am not far from there should you need any help, although i can only offer advice as not as good with cars as some people on this site,hope you resolve the problem,there is loads of info on this site for all sorts of seat issues its been really helpfull to me.

Isabel7

Hi thanks for responding. I will be taking the car to shoreham seat soon.

cjp

Jan 5, 2004
Visit site
I have this problem also, water on the sill under the speaker. The drivers carpet is a little squelchy.
I have booked it into JKM in Portsmouth and they say they may need it overnight and pull up the carpet.
With it being summer, has anyone managed to dry out the carpet without dismantling the inside of the car too much? If I wanted to lift it just a bit, where is the best place to start?

bicbiro

i managed to take the plastic trim off the sill and up and roundabout the door pillar etc,was able to lift the carpet a bit,we have had some hot days recently and my carpets the dryest it been since i got it,under the carpet was still damp tho,but dried out now,we also had a the weekend some torrential downpours which when looking out the window i dreaded going into car,to my surprise nout has got in which is strange,i get most of mine wet when there is rain but also wind

emile_b

I have this problem also, water on the sill under the speaker. The drivers carpet is a little squelchy.
I have booked it into JKM in Portsmouth and they say they may need it overnight and pull up the carpet.
With it being summer, has anyone managed to dry out the carpet without dismantling the inside of the car too much? If I wanted to lift it just a bit, where is the best place to start?

I took the back seat off (easy) and took off the trim on the front seat rails, then pushed some small flower pots under the carpet at the back, and held back the carpet on the back seats.

Took about 4 weeks, but seems to be dry now, not sure what its like at the very front, but hopfully most of the water has drained back.

Had to fix the front doors, and pollen filter.

Would post a picture but says I need 15 posts.

sef

This brings back memories... I bought a new 04 plate Leon and it had this issue. It was two weeks old and one morning after it had chucked it down all night, my son said it's a bit wet in the front... I thought he was joking... 1 inch of water. Thankfully the dealer sorted it all out and it never happened again. I hope this problem doesn't exist on the mk2 Leon.

FortCupraR225

Mate both the front and back passenger footwells were soaked in my car, i took off the plastic trim and peeled back the carpet as far as i could without going too far if you know what i mean and then i fed a bath towel in and just carefully pushed it under the carpet as far as it would go then i put the carpet back down on top of the towel and pressed down on it with my feet and after 2 or 3 decent sized towels it soaked up most of the water, then i just got the heaters blasting and left the windows slightly open when i could, (rains alot up here in Scotland, i'm sure you've heard!) Dried up in no time and there is no damp smell left over either! [B)]

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
did the Drivers door as that was the only one leaking, will do others when needed i got the clips but when i took the door card off none broke lol, you no if i did not get the clips some would of broke, but there good for the other doors.

FortCupraR225

did the Drivers door as that was the only one leaking, will do others when needed i got the clips but when i took the door card off none broke lol, you no if i did not get the clips some would of broke, but there good for the other doors.

I would just do them all, now that one has started leaking the others are sure to follow, 2 of my doors were letting in water so i just resealed all the doors and the other 2 weren't too far from going either, saved a job later on!

Plus it means you'll have to go through drying your carpets out again which was a pain in the ar*e for me!

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
I would just do them all, now that one has started leaking the others are sure to follow, 2 of my doors were letting in water so i just resealed all the doors and the other 2 weren't too far from going either, saved a job later on!

Plus it means you'll have to go through drying your carpets out again which was a pain in the ar*e for me!

i will do them, but i did check the others and there not even leaking at all my drivers door was leaking but not to the point of flooding in. i was surprised how easy the job was as well.

FortCupraR225

i will do them, but i did check the others and there not even leaking at all my drivers door was leaking but not to the point of flooding in. i was surprised how easy the job was as well.

Yeah the guide through it helped tons, took me about an hour or so to do all 4 doors i think, took me about a week to dry out the carpets though, the front especially was the hardest to get dry!

NickBWB

Hi,

I recently replaced the foam strip around the door carrier panel as i had wet rubber door seals and water running out when opening the door after it had been raining.

I used some 6mm round butyl sealant tape when replacing the old foam rubbish and thought all was well as nothing leaked when pouring water on the windows afterwards.

However, we had heavy rain for the first time last night since i replaced the seals and opened the doors this morning to find wet rubber seals and water pouring over my feet as before. I have tried searching the forum but nothing has really come up.

I have some of the 10mm x 5mm tape seat use in the garage and was thinking of completely removing the carrier panel and trying again.

Has anyone got any other ideas to try before going through replacing the seal again as i can see it being a right nightmare this time.

Cheers

Nick

jaf2212

Apr 27, 2011
Chesham, Bucks
Hi,

I recently replaced the foam strip around the door carrier panel as i had wet rubber door seals and water running out when opening the door after it had been raining.

I used some 6mm round butyl sealant tape when replacing the old foam rubbish and thought all was well as nothing leaked when pouring water on the windows afterwards.

However, we had heavy rain for the first time last night since i replaced the seals and opened the doors this morning to find wet rubber seals and water pouring over my feet as before. I have tried searching the forum but nothing has really come up.

I have some of the 10mm x 5mm tape seat use in the garage and was thinking of completely removing the carrier panel and trying again.

Has anyone got any other ideas to try before going through replacing the seal again as i can see it being a right nightmare this time.

Cheers

Nick

Take the butyl off and replace with silicone, works 1st time with no problems

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.