Winter tyres

McDubber1

Jun 29, 2007
East Lothian
Camskill have Pirelli sottozero's in 205/55/16 for £88.40 each which is what i used last winter and found them excellent but it's the first time i've used winter tyres so can't compare them to anything else other than running summer tyres in the winter. I'd reccommend them, never got stuck once! and grip was really good!

They're michelin alpin a4's are £103.50 for the same size.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I'm going to stick with Conti TS830s for now though. I liked the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3s and they were a tad quieter than the Contis, but weren't quite as good in snow as the TS830s.
I'm sticking with TS830s too, they were simply awesome last winter, best I've used yet.

Had a look on mytyres a couple of weeks back and the selection of winter tyre was very small and very expensive, guess stocks are low in middle of summer.

TheDean

Aug 17, 2010
I'm sticking with TS830s too, they were simply awesome last winter, best I've used yet.

Had a look on mytyres a couple of weeks back and the selection of winter tyre was very small and very expensive, guess stocks are low in middle of summer.

I deffo want to to get some TS830s with some steelies, but they are pretty expensive at the moment! Bloke from Camskill said most Continental stock will be arriving in September.

I deffo want to to get some TS830s with some steelies, but they are pretty expensive at the moment! Bloke from Camskill said most Continental stock will be arriving in September.

When I bought my winter tyres last year, the tyre dealer advised me to wait until September as theey're hard to get before. It's all about timimng, too early or too late and it gets £££.

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
I need some new ones this year after changing cars, only trouble is that 19" winter tyres are bloody expensive & second hand Ford Kuga alloys are a lot harder to find than SEAT alloys!

Needs a bit of looking into I think, would get another set of Wintrac Xtremes though as they performed very well on the Altea. Will have the advantage of 4WD this year as well:D

I need some new ones this year after changing cars, only trouble is that 19" winter tyres are bloody expensive & second hand Ford Kuga alloys are a lot harder to find than SEAT alloys!

Needs a bit of looking into I think, would get another set of Wintrac Xtremes though as they performed very well on the Altea. Will have the advantage of 4WD this year as well:D

Can you not downsize and use steels?

4WD with decent winter tyres should go pretty much anywhere.

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Can you not downsize and use steels?

Looking at downsizing to 17" but would prefer alloys (They look nicer than steel:whistle:) Just struggling to find any without having to pay dealer prices as I would prefer OEM ones rather than aftermarket.

I have a bit of time yet before they are needed so hopefully something will turn up.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Just been looking round at prices as I want to buy a set of TS830s for the Mondeo we bought recently. Think it will need 215/55/16 (haven't found any wheels yet though!).
Definitely reckon there will be an ideal period to buy - overpriced due to lack of stock at the moment (not surprising), then when the weather hits prices will go through the roof again.
Although I felt there was noticeably more interest in winter tyres last winter than ever before - so perhaps the tyre companies will hold more stocks this year ?

Useful to know that September is when the stocks start arriving :thumbup:

AND be able stop and go round corners too ;)

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
I have some brand new ready to be fitted goodyear ultragrip 8's for the wife's Beetle as she's out in all weathers so nice to see them top rated:)

Those Goodyears must be something special as I thought my TS830s were amazing in the snow last year and they seem to score quite a bit lower than the Ultragrip 8s do... :confused:

On a related note, what's the consensus view on when (i.e. what thread depth) to replace winter tyres?

My understanding is that performance tails off gradually with wear (after the initial scrub-in of course), but then snow/ice performance drops off dramatically below 4 or 5 mm of tread. Is that about right? I would always personally err on the side of safety over cost but it can't be good for the environment (or wallet) getting rid of tyres too early.
I'm trying to predict whether I'll need to buy a pair this winter or not - if so I might as well get them now while they're still vaguely affordable...

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
That is about bang on what I understand it. Things is at 4-5mm on winter tyres is going to be still a massive improve over summers.

I understand your concern over the tail off in effectiveness but do the same rules apply to you and your summer tyres in relation to water dispersal? i.e. ditching them at 4mm (probably when they should go on this basis?).

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
I had set of part-worn winters last year 5-4mm all round and they were immense in snow. Very very good grip. As they were 17" I sold them on with 15% loss over purchase price before winter so made a good deal. For this winter I got separate set of 16" Audi alloys and 4 new Dunlops Winter Sports 3D with 8mm of brand spanking new thread so I'm hoping for heavy snowfalls in October ;-)

Good point about the same being applied to summers (or not). TBH though I'm using Michelin Energy Savers and they don't seem to be wearing at all from what I can tell... at this rate they won't need replacing (whether at 4mm or below) until I'm ready to swap the car anyway. :lol:

I think I'll check the tread on my winters and take a view. Sounds like they're still effective around 4-5mm so unless I'm already close to that tread depth, they're probably fine for this season. :)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Those Goodyears must be something special as I thought my TS830s were amazing in the snow last year and they seem to score quite a bit lower than the Ultragrip 8s do... :confused:
That was my thought too.

Would be nice to see a few more of the European winter tyre tests completed, see if the results are consistent.
The Semperit was a surprise, second in both tests !
Also surprising was the Michelin Alpins coming a fair way down the list.

Last edited:

FRozz

Oct 17, 2010
Romania
Decided Im gonna take the plunge and get some winter tyres this year after reading through this thread. Didnt have many problems last year, the roads here barely moved above 30mph, usually a 4x4 holding everyone up! but I did get a few frights where I lost grip and would hate to have even a slow(ish) smash. As has been mentioned it isnt really costing more as it will extend my summer tyres by about the same and hoping to get cheap wheels.

So, have decided Im gonna get some used 16" alloys and new rubber, not totally decided yet but looking like the vredestein snowtrac. Ive found a few wheels on ebay but not confident I have all the sizes correct. Here goes....

I have 57 Leon FR TDI, completely standard, currently on the standard 17" alloys.
Looking for 16", 5 stud, 112mm stud diameter wheels (fairly sure this is correct). Been looking at Audi, Seat, VW and Skoda wheels.

Rim width? Does this matter (will buy tyres to match) some I found have 7J, is this ok for the car?

Is there anything else I have to look for?

Thanks for any advice

I just searched for my old FR TFSI wheels and the mytyres site said I need
"6½ x 16**5 x 112.00 x 57.00 ET: 50.00 5-hole steel wheel (9915)" so I'm pretty sure that's what you need too.

Good choice opting for winter tyres... It's really night and day difference when there's snow on the roads. It's been 29 degrees C today though! Madness! :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members