turbo flutter bad?

deanjb

hi guys, is turbo flutter bad on a recirculating diverter valve?

JoeCav

Jan 3, 2011
Leeds
yes, its basically air being pushed back through the turbo forcing the turbine wheel the wrong way

Apr 12, 2010
Various points of view on this, it never caused me any probs on previous cars I've had as mentioned its compressor stall caused by a moving body of air that can no longer move effectively slowing the compressor side of the turbo

FR3000

Feb 14, 2008
North East
Recirc valves dump air into the intake system and that's not the place I'd choose to send it.
Dumping the pressure reduces the tendency for the compressor on the turbo to be driven off the left side of the compressor flow map when going from engine under load to unloaded. This avoids what's referred to as 'Surge'. The 'flutter' or 'squirell mincing' noise you get is air being sheared by the compressor blades. Dumping pressure down the intake is a bit pointless although it may make the engine seem more responsive it reduces net compressor work so it makes little difference to the time it takes to reach maximum pressure again after a throttle close event. If you're running less than 2.0bar pressure simple answer is get rid of the valve since it's not really neccessary. In my experience the main failure location is turbine side; it takes much more stress so that's the one I'd be looking after.

D1x0n

Oct 18, 2010
bristol
ive just got a open cone air filter and i have all the cha cha chaaaa lol normal noise coming from DV but have that 90-10 closed so dont hear it. filter is loud enough :)

FR3000

Feb 14, 2008
North East
ive just got a open cone air filter and i have all the cha cha chaaaa lol normal noise coming from DV but have that 90-10 closed so dont hear it. filter is loud enough :)

From what you say I don't think you'll have problems with it - as long as the turbo doesn't shake around too much and sound like it's trying to escape from it's mountings then a bit of 'squirell mincing' is usually ok. An associate of mine does aerdynamics on turbos and runs nearly 2.5bar pressure on his Nissan 4-pot without any Dump/diverter valves. He isn't particularly concerned about it.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com

Sounds like you have a splitR DV on there which can be hard to set-up.
A cause of flutter with a recirc valve (like the Forge 007p) is a spring that is too stiff for the boost produced.... the DV doesn't let enough boost out which can cause the turbo to stall when lifting off on full boost!

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
I'm pretty sure that the Diesel system doesn't run with a Dump/Diverter valve.. if it does I havent managed to find it ;) I occasionally get a fluttering sound when I back off, a few of of my mates with Furby vRS' also have some crazy fluttering going on, never concerned any of us/affected our turbo's :D

Paulie..

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members