Smaller Front Numberplate

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
Hi people, im after some advice. I'm looking to get a smaller front numberplate for my Ibiza. I just want it small enough so that it doesn't overhang the bottom of the bumper where it is fixed to. I dont want it so small that I will get pulled over by the police every time I drive it. Anyone know where abouts I can get one?

Paulie..

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
I bought one, but can't remember from where.... It was a bit small TBH so I soon removed it. This was only 12" by 3" I think. Places like ebay are a good place to start.

Well, got round to fitting my small plate today. Got some black vinyl and covered the old number plate recess first. Going to smooth the screw holes at some point (you can see them at the edge of the vinyl) Stuck new plate to the vinyl. We will see how long it is before I get pulled by the fuzz. Not sure if I like it yet. Might try it without the black vinyl 9but then you can see the screw holes!)

2a5fd114.jpg

b6fd52f3.jpg

5769759b.jpg

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
thanks, that is a very small plate lol, I was thinking about getting a circular saw out and trimming a bit off the top and bottom so that it sits flush in the recess in the middle of the bumper.

Paulie..

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
thanks, that is a very small plate lol, I was thinking about getting a circular saw out and trimming a bit off the top and bottom so that it sits flush in the recess in the middle of the bumper.

Paulie..

You could do that with standard plates. I think the law says you need 10mm between letters and the edge of the plate (but do check before doing it....)

jtonline

www.jtonline.info
Paulie, if you want to stay within the law:

• character height - 79 millimetres
• character width - 50 millimetres (except the figure 1 or letter I)
• character stroke - 14 millimetres
• space between characters - 11 millimetres
• space between groups - 33 millimetres
top, bottom and side margins - minimum 11 millimetres
• space between vertical lines - 19 millimetres

Hopefully you can trim the plate and stay within the regulations, that way you won't have a prob passing the MOT and the police can't fine you.

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
Paulie, if you want to stay within the law:

• character height - 79 millimetres
• character width - 50 millimetres (except the figure 1 or letter I)
• character stroke - 14 millimetres
• space between characters - 11 millimetres
• space between groups - 33 millimetres
top, bottom and side margins - minimum 11 millimetres
• space between vertical lines - 19 millimetres

Hopefully you can trim the plate and stay within the regulations, that way you won't have a prob passing the MOT and the police can't fine you.

Nice one matey, I'll have a shop around and see what I can find, although I think that the 'legal' ones will be slightly too big still.

Paulie..

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
I had a small plate on rear and my front plate is in the window got pulled for having small plate on rear but not done for my front plate in window 3 years this year the front plate been in window lol

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
The Police around Milton Keynes are very hot on number plates, one of my mates has his in his front window, gets pulled every time he goes into MK.. Hopefully I'll be ok ;)

Paulie..

jtonline

www.jtonline.info
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 - Part II Regulation 6
states:

6.—(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (5), a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3).

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—
(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,.
(b) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (4)..

(4) The diagonal length of the relevant area is—
(a) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,.
(b) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,.
(c) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres.

So, if I understand correctly, if it's vertical in the windscreen you should be within the regulations. However, stuff it behind the windscreen following the slope of the glass when you could otherwise have mounted it vertically, would be flouting the law so you could be pulled over.

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
The Police around Milton Keynes are very hot on number plates, one of my mates has his in his front window, gets pulled every time he goes into MK.. Hopefully I'll be ok ;)

Paulie..

If you are pulled just plead ignorance and agree to change it and hopefully get off ok.
Local cop asked me to change mine when I was pulled for suspected drink driving, wasnt given a producer or anything on paper so didnt change it and never been bothered again. Been in Aberdeen a few times, Edinburgh, Glasgow and passed traffic cops too with no bother and HID's too

Bover

May 7, 2009
Middlesex, London
If you were to trim your current numberplate at the bottom you will more than likely remove the BSAU and the supplier information that is legally required.

I assume this fancyplates makes showplates and not road legal plates. So if you can find a place that will provide these 3/4 plates with BSAU supplier information, it will be perfectly legal.
Platesforcars might be a good site to check out, they offer different plate sizes and also offer to add their manufacturer details.
Bit of common sense and I'm sure you could get something ideal here? :confused:

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Aye apprently its a legal requirement now to show the BS mark and a postcode for where the plates made. Iv never bothered to measure my 3/4 plate and see if its within size restrictions. My rear is standard size so least if their behind my they dont know whats on the front ;) only time they see the front is when their going the opposite direction

Dec 3, 2009
If you were to trim your current numberplate at the bottom you will more than likely remove the BSAU and the supplier information that is legally required.

I always/only buy pure plain numberplates that only have the registration number on, no borders, logos, or writing! Been running them for about 3 years, never been pulled over or had issues with an MOT, in my eyes I'm using the correct font, exactly how they want so why do I need a stupid postcode? haha :D

BUMP

wondering if anyone knew any places to get the smaller front plates?
for cheaper than £22 ea 0.o

J44APX

No Smoke - No Poke
Oct 31, 2011
Boston
£22
I Normally charge £10 for a set !!!
I could do them and send them out cheaper than £22 each :blink:
:whistle:

Dec 3, 2009
get into business haha!

is there any chance you could do a smaller front & normal rear?

J44APX

No Smoke - No Poke
Oct 31, 2011
Boston
Well on my old corsa i just cut the normal one down to suit the size i wanted
But i can litterally do anything on a standard number plate
Any Font
Anything at the bottom
Any logo at the bottom

If thats any help ?
:shrug:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise