Fr tdi help with new purchase

jzr

Hi guys I am looking for a fr tdi. I have found one.for 6300 only problem is he milage is high 102k. What do you guys think, if I go look at it is there anything to look out for.

I have also found a red one with 86k for around 7k

My heads in the shed I don't know what to do, trouble is I live in south west Wales so I am miles from every bloody were,

Also how much is the cam belt an water pump.

An what do I need to look for with those dpf problems

Any help would be great thanks

jzr

Not to fused on the mk1, my self. The one with 100k has just had the dpf regend.

Dabbalz

Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
I'd pick the one with the best service history for a start. If they are both serviced well pick the one with less owners, if they are both the same, see if one was a dealer owned and dismiss that one. drive them both and see which feels the best. I'd be more tempted to go for the lower mileage one if they are both pretty much equal in servicing etc.
I wouldn't bother with the Mk1
£6k - £7k will get you a 2006 Cupra TDI with less than 70,000 miles, full service history etc.
Also I don't get what people are so bothered about DPF for, our lass had her last car for 3years and never had and issue with the DPF, my mother has the A3 1.9TDI and has had no issues with it

silverfox

Feb 19, 2004
far far away
Visit site
Not to fused on the mk1, my self. The one with 100k has just had the dpf regend.

that doesn't mean anything mate, if it's still on its original DPF, and it's needed a manual regen, it could mean DPF is coming to end of its life - £1200-£1500 for a replacement! That's almost 1/4 of what you bought the car for! I'd be looking for a 70-80k one for that sort of money.

I would have offered to sell you my 50k 57 plate for £7500 grand a couple of weeks ago but after forking out £1400 on a new DPF and £700 on a new ECU, i've decided i'll need to keep it for another couple of years. :cry:

silverfox

Feb 19, 2004
far far away
Visit site
Dabbalz;3581302 .......Also I don't get what people are so bothered about DPF for said:
Please refer to my previous post.......that's why people are bothered about DPF.....they're frickin expensive to replace. As far as i know the 1.9TDi doesnt have a DPF.

Green Mamba

Feb 22, 2008
Warwickshire
With the sort of budget you're talking about I would also consider a Mk 1 Cupra/FR TDI. I've owned both and imo the Mk 1 had a lot going for it....still a decent looking car, more economical than the Mk 2 and no dpf issues. You would get a relatively low mileage one for your budget.

Agreed, being an ex owner of a MK1 Cupra TDi and current owner of MK2 FR TDI, the MK1 is a fantastic car, even if you find one 7-9 years old. It's still quite modern looking and very understated which I loved about it.

Try to find one a long way before or after the cambelt change, a good service history.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members