Ibiza Cupra Sport 16V ABF help

Solus

Here is my sorry tale....

About 6 months ago, I changed the battery on my Ibiza and Since then, the car cuts out when you start it unless you keep your foot on the gas. When the engine is warm it ticks over but the revs are all over the place.

I've had to adjust the throttle cable to make the car driveable. I'm no expert on cars but this is what I've done so far -

• Replace the idle control valve
  • Checked/replaced the fuses
  • Replaced the coolant temperature sensor
  • Replace the small breather hoses

None of the above has cured the problem. Is a dodgy tick-over an MOT failure?

Also, should the idle control valve hum when you turn the ignition on? I had a diagnostics guy out to it and he couldn't find any faults.

I'm running out of ideas. Help..

Deleted member 32025

Hmm that is a strange one, I would have assumed the idle control valve would have fixed it.

What does it drive like?

Solus

Cheers guys.

Yes I also replaced the fuel pump relay - forgot to mention that ;)

The car drives ok but I've had to adjust the throttle so that it doesn't cut out. This means that the revs are high when the car is warm. Turns heads for all the wrong reasons!

Re: air-leaks. I took it to a garage and they replaced the small hoses but said they couldn't find any leaks in the larger ones so I'm scratching my head really.

I'm wondering if the idle control valve was a dud. Is it supposed to buzz when you turn on the ignition?

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
check the auto choke is out, see under the ht lead cover there is a cylindrical thing make sure thats properly in the inlet manifold with no leaks.

Solus

Thanks for that.

I decided to replace the idle control valve with a new one in case it was a dud. It doesn't cut out anymore but now the revs go up and down by themselves. If you touch the throttle the rev counter goes off the scale! WTF!!

It's only done 64K I do less than 3K mile a year. I think a might drive it off a cliff!

Solus

I replaced the small hose near the throttle. Sorry to be thick, which other hoses did you replace?

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
the breather hose that splits comes out of the engine block at the front and runs to the square plastic box before airbox

Solus

Is it the soft bendy one that come from the idle control valve and goes into the airbox? I have to admit that I haven't replaced that one.

They guys at the garage said that it wasn't leaking but I will replace it anyway. Where can a get a new one other than my useless local VAG dealer?

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
its the hall sensor in the dizzy the rev counter is clue, check the dizzy for oil inside

Solus

Cheers spud. I've decided, with regret, that I'm going to sell the car. I've started a new job so haven't got time to muck about with it anymore :cry:

GtiBoy

DubbedOut Owner
May 5, 2009
Botswana
www.dubbedoutclub.tk
Air leak. Straight up have the same problem with mine. Hose that comes out the side of the inlet by the throttle body i think. It looks fine but wehen you take it off an bend it slightly you see loads of hair line cracks. Cheap an easy fix.

simon_709

Baker
May 11, 2011
Norwich
The same thing happend on my girlfriends peugoet and that turned out to be the main temperature sensor, bought a new one for 5quid and its been fine since, we found this out by taking each sensor off one at a time while the engine was running.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise