Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Washed my car yesterday and found hardly any brake dust on the front wheels from the Yellowstuff pads. The old Tarox pads used to leave the front wheels caked in dust! The more I use my car the better these new pads seem to get, as the brake-in coating wears off the bite just gets better and better!

Just fitted the yellow stuff pads with badger5's 330mm discs and agree with you Rob they are very good now let alone bedded in.

Washed my car yesterday and found hardly any brake dust on the front wheels from the Yellowstuff pads. The old Tarox pads used to leave the front wheels caked in dust! The more I use my car the better these new pads seem to get, as the brake-in coating wears off the bite just gets better and better!

Ironically believe tarox have voided the warranty on their discs when used in conjunction with ebc pads.

I was considering a set of the yellows though, theres a disc and pad deal on the bay.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Thought I'd post an update on the yellowstuff pads. Covered 450 miles on them so far, low speeds and cold bite is very good, but above say 50mph and I am struggling to stop. I found myself struggling to stop at Crail at the end of the 1/4 mile, I almost didn't!!!

I have asked EBC about this and they said it can take up to 1500 miles to fully bed the pads in! It will take me 6 months to do 1500 miles!

Not wanting to pay £160 for new Tarox pads - I was fortunate enough to find a new set of Tarox Corsa pads on ebay for only £50, so I bought them. I will buy a set of new OE rear pads and pull the yellowstuff and replace them. If they had been fully bedded in after 2-300 miles they would have been spot on, but 1500 miles ... c'mon eh.

robertj

weight is the enemy
That's odd Rob? I'm just about to order my 3rd set of yellow stuff pads. I admit they are not as good as Ds2500s but last a little longer and with out the huge amounts of brake dust.

I wonder if the disc materials is having an effect?

cuprak04

Stage 3 Mk3 Cupra 280
Sep 11, 2007
glasgow
Long time no hear rob. I just fitted a new set of ferrodo ds2500's to the cupra r this is my 2nd set. They are great for stopping.

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
The original Tarox pads I had were awesome, huge braking power with the 6-pots but quite dusty.

Never used Yellowstuff pads before, many love them but alot of people don't like them either for various reasons. It's very un-nerving knowing that for the next 6 months I wouldn't be able to stop properly, especially in an emergency situation or on the bypass/motorway.

I would have just stuck with the Yellowstuff had I not found the new set of Tarox pads for £50 (they are normally £160 for a set of pads!!!).

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Been doing that for 450 miles, still not bedded in or enough braking force yet! Doing 100mph at the end of the Crail 1/4 mile I was really struggling to stop in time, only did 2 runs and called it quits as I really thought that I would not be able to stop on the 3rd run!

Last edited:

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Ouch, that's nasty my mate who had a Astra VXR used Yellows and found that they required loads of warming up before he was able to stop at lower speeds, which seems to be the opposite of your problem. Not sure if it's the disc/ pad combo? £160 for pads isn't what you want to spend to test that theory though.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Not riding the brakes no, checked the pads are they are not glazed, discs are grooved so shouldn't be glazing anyway. EBC said that if they are still not effective after 1000 miles to let them know, but that's in another 550 miles.

vw-aj

Jun 9, 2011
Wow, just read through about 70% of this. Epic car given me loads of inspiration :D

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Rob if your going to change these pads anyway it would be worth trying to rebed these in as race spec pads.

5 x 60-10 heavy braking with 1-3 mins cooling in between

30 mins cooling time

5 x 80-10 heavy braking with 1-3 mins cooling in between

This always sorted out my set up when the wife had been driving the car for a while and in prepartions for a track day abuse.
Infact the last time I changed my pads from DS2500 to DS3000 I pretty much did a track day the day after I fitted these with minimal bedding in, Loving the DS300's :D

RobDon

Pro Detailer
New Tarox pads arrived:

tarox1.jpg

tarox2.jpg

£160 pads for £55 posted ... thank you ebay! :D

I also picked up a 42DD vacuum manifold kit from Awesome:

42dd.jpg

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=32882&xSec=349

Status
Not open for further replies.