Helping out a friend - EGR valve on a 1.2

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
So my friend has been having a run of bad luck with her car recently and has had to spend a fair bit on repairs, and now she apparently needs a new EGR valve.

Being a student means money is lacking, so I thought I could remove it and give it a clean for her first.

Few questions:

1 - Will I need to vagcom it after cleaning & replacing like on the diesels?
2 - To clean I was going to soak in paraffin for a while and then wipe. Is this the best way?
3 - Long shot, but does anyone have a picture of where it is on the 1.2 as I've only seen it on a diesel.

Thanks for any help! :D

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
My experience is that you might as well save the hassle and buy a new one. And buy the pipe which connects to the engine also as they hardly ever come off. And it's down the right hand side of the engine as you look from the front.

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
How come? Is cleaning it out only a short term fix?
We're students in our final years so money is tight - thought it'd be worth cleaning for free before spending around £120ish quid for a new one...

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
How come? Is cleaning it out only a short term fix?
We're students in our final years so money is tight - thought it'd be worth cleaning for free before spending around £120ish quid for a new one...

Been there, took it off and couldn't move the pipe off it (there's a reason why specifications say the pipe must be changed with the EGR valve), cleaned it all out, refitted it, cleared the code, and 200 miles later it came back on again.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members