Accelerator pedal question...

Valver

Absolute Member
Oct 25, 2002
Hertford
OK, I took a mate for a burn in my Leon Cupra R today and he was looking round making comments on bits he liked and things he wasnt so keen on...

Anyhow he said "Oh I see you've still got the 'running in' block under the pedal..." and pointed to a little grey tube that's on the floor directly under the accelerator pedal.

Now I thought this was just a bit of plastic to act as a bump stop for the pedal or something, but he *swears* it's supposed to be removed. He's a bit of a wind-up merchant so I'm taking his comment with a big pinch of salt, but is he right?

He *claims* its there on all VAG models and is removed at the first service. But seeing as thats at 10K miles, I just cant beleive that.

Anyone know what that tube really is??! Its supposed to stay there right? :)

Slight puzzled of Welwyn :confused:

Valver

FinCupra

Sep 6, 2002
Fun..erm..Finland
Visit site
Originally posted by Valver
OK, I took a mate for a burn in my Leon Cupra R today and he was looking round making comments on bits he liked and things he wasnt so keen on...

Anyhow he said "Oh I see you've still got the 'running in' block under the pedal..." and pointed to a little grey tube that's on the floor directly under the accelerator pedal.

Now I thought this was just a bit of plastic to act as a bump stop for the pedal or something, but he *swears* it's supposed to be removed. He's a bit of a wind-up merchant so I'm taking his comment with a big pinch of salt, but is he right?

He *claims* its there on all VAG models and is removed at the first service. But seeing as thats at 10K miles, I just cant beleive that.

Anyone know what that tube really is??! Its supposed to stay there right? :)

Slight puzzled of Welwyn :confused:

Valver

It's just a normal stopper.. It's supposed to stay there

Balls

A lot of cars have them and its not just seat or vw, hes winding you up :p

cuprarsam

Jun 18, 2011
i used to own a 1.8t bora before my lcr and definately found a difference when i took it off. car was alot faster when on full throttle without the stopper than with it. also achieved higher motorway speeds without the stopper and achieved higher speeds quicker than with the stopper.
just realised this is an ancient post :p

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Hehe, I do love these random reminders of my motoring past :D oh, and have a
htrb.jpg

Byard

Just found this last night. Any point in removing it so the pedal goes down further?

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Just found this last night. Any point in removing it so the pedal goes down further?

Answered your own question... The only point in removing it is if you want the pedal to go down further!

LCRs are Drive by wire and the throttle position sensor sends a reading of 100% with the pedal on the stopper. Remove the stopper and if you're lucky you won't break the TPS by taking it past the end of its travel and will still be able to drive the car :D

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
As above, the throttle pedal is electronic ("drive by wire") so it has a "map" in the ECU to correlate the pedal position with the throttle body valve position. Pedal on the stop means the throttle valve is open as far as it will go so no point removing the stop. It's there to provide a natural-feeling "full throttle" position and protect the pedal mechanism and carpet.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.