Cupra Depreciation

Dude

1st UK MK2 LCR on here
Dec 10, 2009
It’s all-relative, if you plan to keep your car for a while, and not change it every year.

Weren’t you asking 14k + for yours last month? :):cartman:

Dude

1st UK MK2 LCR on here
Dec 10, 2009
he he, i was pulling your leg :)

The thing is, VW is seen a premium brand and more desirable, so it will hold its money more.
BMW, Audi etc are the same.

Would be interesting to see what the Skodas are like.

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
he he, i was pulling your leg :)

The thing is, VW is seen a premium brand and more desirable, so it will hold its money more.
BMW, Audi etc are the same.

Would be interesting to see what the Skodas are like.

Yeah, but you added the Cartman, that's nasty! Lol

I just tried it with Octavia VRS 170.

It is actually slightly better than Cupra though you are right, it's not great.

Last edited:

Dude

1st UK MK2 LCR on here
Dec 10, 2009
Dude, I quite like your Blue one... shall we say £12k ? ;)

Sod it, why not ;)

I know what you mean though, massive depreciation is worrying. Been looking at a new M3 and dread to think what I’d get for mine if I chopped it in.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Ironic that you post this up :cartman:. An LCR depreciates by £10k in 1 year, but your LC depreciated by £6k in 3 years :lol:

Using that link, if you check the new FR+ vs the LCR, they both depreciate to exactly the same amount on year 1 onward. Not sure how accurate this thing is.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Three words... O M G !!!

10 x Cupra R depreciation !!! (OK, 5 times).

Shocking really. Then again, maybe the people who can afford them in the first place aren't bothered.

Buying new pretty much guarantees you'll lose money in most cases.

Used car for me next time. Some crackers out there for under 20k. :)

andyccr

FR CR
Jul 19, 2002
Essex
It's all badge snobbery again!!!! I'm afraid the Golfs leave me so so bored and every rep has one if he can't quite afford a 318d !!!
I've had all of the VAG group cars including a Golf Mk4 (the world most boring car 1.9SDi !!), Octavia vRS Mk1 and a Fabia, plus an Audi A4 cabriolet. Yes the Audi was built brilliantly but was £30k brand new.
It's a shame people who work out the depreciation figures don't actually ever drive the cars they try and 'value' !!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
They say an RS3 looses 9k in the first year!!

I looked at that earlier. Would be a good buy at 1 year old, but I think the fact that the new A3 is close will mean year 2 on them will be pretty hard too.

indyr

May 2, 2011
I don't think it’s totally accurate tbh... suppose its dependent on the basics such as condition, mileage, colour etc!

I just checked an Audi S3 (as quoted above Audi/BMW and so on are a premium brands)... That S3 as an e.g. loses 9-10k after year one as well - I don’t believe that, check out piston heads and dealership prices there in the late 20k's not 22k as quoted on the site.

I think that Cupra R would prob be around 18K+ after year one, but the used ones show around 20k atm which isn’t too bad; hence showing residuals are fairly decent.

This is the problem with performance cars, you'll always lose money but then they are for a niche market.

Jan 15, 2009
Kent
I looked at that earlier. Would be a good buy at 1 year old, but I think the fact that the new A3 is close will mean year 2 on them will be pretty hard too.

I had the dealer call me today saying I had a slot for one if I wanted it, but have to deside this weekend!! Hard as they don't get the demo car until next week and wanted to test drive one first... And looking at that's it's put a downer on it, thought they might hold better due to the limited number

OldNick

Apr 13, 2005
Gee whiz. 10k depreciation in the first year! I think I'm going to go back to plan A and get a second hand Focus RS. A year old 10 plate should be about 23k and I bet that would be worth more than 13k in a years time!
If I get a decent low mileage one with all the lux packs and possibly Mountune for 23k then the person who bought it new has taken at least a 6 or 7k hit

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Ford RS models do tend to hold value better than most hot hatches for sure.

I looked at the Evo X earlier too and see it is only just slightly worse than the RS3. Was surprised at that too.