Is it worth changing from a Cupra to a Cupra R or a Focus RS

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
XDS is good for what it is and better than not having one, a good idea from a manufaturer that wasn't ever going to put a mechanical diff in as standard but... its never going to be as good as a mechanical diff.

BMW would be a nice choice, the twin turbo engines are meant to be awesome

Answer to the original question - Cupra to Cupra R, dont see the point unless you have money to burn, Cupra to RS - its a change I suppose...

Evsi

Aug 28, 2011
Tenby, Pembs
I do like the Focus RS, but to me, i think it's an insult to the RS name. It's basically a Volvo C30 that's been played with and if i ever bought one, that's all i'd see it as.

As for the Megane - It's French and will almost certainly be unable to stand the test of time

I was very impressed with the 335i, although the lack of lsd and high tax band did put me off a bit. The Evo's are probably more impressive in terms of handling and adrenalin factor, but my god your wallet will know about it when it goes wrong!

What about RS4's? I'd imagine they're dropping in value now? :drool:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
RS4 is a non entity in my book. Not that fast for what it is and V8 thirst, high runing costs and a hefty price tag, and very expensive to fix when it all goes wrong.

On that note, the S5 with loads less ponies is even more of a non entity.

Regarding the comment on XDS above having had a MK2 Leon Cupra with no XDS then a Wavetrac LSD and then a FL Cupra with XDS, I can confirm that XDS is nothing more than 3 letters. I am willing to bet that a standard Pre FL and FL Cupra are all but identical to drive other than the fake speaker thing in the Facelift model.

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
fake speaker thing in the Facelift model.

Oh yeah, that thing that's supposed to make the car sound more aggressive? Pha! that's a really lame thing to have. A speaker that makes your car sound better installed by the manufactures themselves. Kind of embarrassing.

Evsi

Aug 28, 2011
Tenby, Pembs
RS4 is a non entity in my book. Not that fast for what it is and V8 thirst, high runing costs and a hefty price tag, and very expensive to fix when it all goes wrong.

On that note, the S5 with loads less ponies is even more of a non entity.

Regarding the comment on XDS above having had a MK2 Leon Cupra with no XDS then a Wavetrac LSD and then a FL Cupra with XDS, I can confirm that XDS is nothing more than 3 letters. I am willing to bet that a standard Pre FL and FL Cupra are all but identical to drive other than the fake speaker thing in the Facelift model.

Not that fast? :confused: As a package, it's one of the greatest and most reliable sports saloons you can buy.

Ryan20

Sep 28, 2009
Hampshire
Or a VW Scirocco R DSG? I would defo choose a DSG if that were an option on the Cupra.

i was think of that and the fact that it's a lot cheaper then a Golf R is really tempting knowing that it has a Golf chassis underneath the body but i belive them to be FWD not 4WD like the Golf R

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
i was think of that and the fact that it's a lot cheaper then a Golf R is really tempting knowing that it has a Golf chassis underneath the body but i belive them to be FWD not 4WD like the Golf R

Yeah that's right, they're FWD only. Still pretty expensive second hand though, about £25k from an approved dealer. Looks brilliant though, and more head room in the back than an Audi A5/S5, plus same engine and performance as an S3 so relatively modest to run. I've taken one for a spin with the DSG, I fell in love with that gear box, it really is something else, it’s a masterpiece.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Not that fast? :confused: As a package, it's one of the greatest and most reliable sports saloons you can buy.

An Evo FQ400 would destroy the more powerful RS4. I would hardly call it one of the greatest as its uninvolving to drive, it hardly has razor sharp handling and it looks its age now with the new model A4 being 3 years in.

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
An Evo FQ400 would destroy the more powerful RS4. I would hardly call it one of the greatest as its uninvolving to drive, it hardly has razor sharp handling and it looks its age now with the new model A4 being 3 years in.

Yeh but then you would have to service it while the RS4 keeps going :D

Just kidding, not the cheapest to run the Evo's though - I know the RS4 isnt either but couldnt resisit.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I don't think either car would be top of anyone's list for cheap cars to run - rs4 and evo that is. Remember the evo x is 10k service intervals bs the short intervals for the older models though.

Deleted member 53697

RS4 is a ****ing cool car end of. It also has the added benefit of not depreciating much more over the next couple of years... Can't think of a much more iconic car for £20k...