Do I or Don’t I ??

csrob1

Hi,

A few months ago I got a Leon FR diesel and I can’t believe how nice the car drives and how quite it is…The problem I have now is do I replace my Honda Type R for a Leon Cupra

I haven’t had a chance to test drive a Cupra and would like to know how it compares to the FR, road noise and is the ride a similar feel. I don’t want anything as stiff as the Type R.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Craig

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Hi,

A few months ago I got a Leon FR diesel and I can’t believe how nice the car drives and how quite it is…The problem I have now is do I replace my Honda Type R for a Leon Cupra

I haven’t had a chance to test drive a Cupra and would like to know how it compares to the FR, road noise and is the ride a similar feel. I don’t want anything as stiff as the Type R.

Thanks,
Craig

You are one lucky c**t lol.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Hi,

Thanks,
Craig

They are pretty similar to drive road noise is the same, steering feels lighter and turn in is quicker due to less weight over the front wheels. Brakes are sharper and the ride overall is not that different maybe the Cupra is slightly more compliant, think you would have to drive one in anger to really notice the difference.

I had an FR TDi now an FR TSi and there is a little less engine noise but more of spooling noise from the turbo in my FR TSi. Also engine is more responsive and smoother compared to the TDi lump which is not exactly unrefined or smooth itself. You will loose the VTEC kick of your type R though as all engines have a smooth power delivery.

Lattronmatic

I've just changed from a Leon FR TDI (PD) to a Cupra (60 plate). The ride quality is much better, a lot smoother and less 'crashy' over the potholes. I used to get fed up with the hard ride in the FR. Also the Cupra grips the road brilliantly on the Pirelli's. The Cupra is a lot more fun to drive as well especially in 3rd and 4th at higher revs. Obviously the fuel consumption isn't as good but you don't buy a 2ltr turbocharged petrol for that. It still gets high 20's / low 30's so not that bad. Overall I'm very happy with the Cupra.

veralynn

YES, replace the ctr with the cupra.
Not a lot of difference in speed tbh but you don't have to wring the cupras neck to get a semi.
I did just this 2 weeks ago and haven't looked back
Ctr is fun but cupra is luxury fun IMO.

csrob1

Thank you all for your feedback...really helped me decide! Cupra it is!

@betty_swollox LMAO :)

Craig

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
I have had an 07 FR TDI previously to buying my current 07 CUPRA.

I would say the drive is similar in terms of handling and steering etc but the brakes are better, the ride is nicer, not as jiggly and the extra power is FAR better.

Also if you get one, remap it as soon as possible it is then in a different league to the FR or any Type R.

My friend has had both the EP3 and FN2 Type R and he drove my car and prefers the CUPRA to both.

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Will a stage 1 remap improve fuel efficiency then?
I'll put that evidence to the missus.
More torque means you can leave it in a higher gear and so mpg can be increased, of course the temptation to change down anyway and give it a boot has also increased!

Jan 3, 2011
Lol hard luck with the Tyne derby maybe at our place you'll beat us haha it had to be said, lol I know I do throw few Sunderland jibes out there, tb fair the previous u had no come bk from a loss in big game helped our season a treat !!!

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Lol hard luck with the Tyne derby maybe at our place you'll beat us haha it had to be said, lol I know I do throw few Sunderland jibes out there, tb fair the previous u had no come bk from a loss in big game helped our season a treat !!!

Lol we never do well against you, our players have no bottle man!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread by the way :rolleyes:

csrob1

Deposit paid and all being well I hope to pick the car up next weekend...can't wait :)

So how much is this stage 1 remap and where do I go?

@FR_Flavoured...the ctr is a 09 and has been a great car but after driving the FR I knew I wanted something with a softer and quieter drive but still had performance...

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
Rob, you're looking at around £500 for Stage One REVO. GIAC is about the same. Both will give you circa 300BHP. P-Torque is a little cheaper I believe.

I'd see how the car is running and perhaps have a good service before mapping it.

Where are you based?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise