DPF - how much? Really?

Aug 1, 2011
It might only be costing time, but what happens when you don't find any real evidence of the cause of the fault.?

Pressure sensors are very common on a 1.4tdi

TaDa

Jun 25, 2010
Barnstaple or thereabouts
For what its worth, I drove mine with the MIL light and flashing glowplugs for over a 1000 miles. The result of this was a > 90% blocked DPF.
I took it to a dealership and they said £400 to remove, clean and replace the DPF
or £800+ fitting (£300+) to replace the DPF with a new one.
It came down to this because the DPF was so blocked they could not do a forced regen (I believe there is a real risk of fire in this situation)

What I'm saying is, don't keep driving the car with those lights on - as you could end up breaking the DPF or at least costing more than you need.

If the pressure sensor is shot it will stop the engine from doing passive regens (at least that is what I think happened to me - I was driving long motorway journeys yet still took an empty filter to a full filter in 15 days!!!)
You can get a new sensor off ebay for about £25 quit - fitting it is easy (if you have the correct torx bit)
BTW Have you checked with an OBD tester whether you have a pressure sensor fault?

If you're skint, do this first and then set about clearing out the DPF - either by doing some more aggresive driving, adding a fuel additive or taking the DPF off and cleaning it yourself.

Good luck!

TaDa

Jun 25, 2010
Barnstaple or thereabouts
My pleasure!
The sensor is held in place with a torx head bolt (Not too sure what size - quite small).
This bolt is a pain to get to - I doubt a normal screwdriver will work - I used a 1/4" bit with a ratcheting spanner.
When they shoehorned the DPF into this car they made it _all_ very compact thats for sure!
Good luck!

steve_1017

Apr 22, 2008
Changed the sensor, the missus is out in it now. DPF light now permanently on along with glow plug and emissions lights. She is 25 miles away with nice fast roads though so we'll see what happens when she gets back.
I have 2 ibizas, a 12 year old mk2 and this 4 year old mk4. The mk2 has never had a warning light (family owned from new) serviced on time no expense spared (apart from now cos i canted be arsed with it anymore) and this new one we've had from 18 months old and had these dpf problems and the power steering packed up on it!!
Dont think i'll be buying another seat in future :drive2:

steve_1017

Apr 22, 2008
No joy! She took it for a long jaunt down the motorway, constant speeds etc but all three lights are on permanently now. Strange thing is, the car feels fine, its not in limp mode and its still behaving as well as it did prior to all these problems??!!
I'm at a loss, gonna book it in with the dealers and see whats going on

hooligan56

finally got my turbo back together after 5 months - (health and access problems - nothing to do with the car) - took it down the road and AAAAAAAAAGH it was exactly the same. Engine light on steady followed by flashing coil light after about 2 miles with a noticeable kick down in power followed by clouds of smoke with oil dripping from the exhaust pipe so it is burning considerable amount somehow. :cry::cry:. Anyone got any dynamite they dont need.....[:@]

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Hmm, clouds of smoke and puddles of oil everywhere out of the exhaust remind me of my old Octavia, I remember it well.

Removed the turbo to find knackered oil seals and the compressor (think that's what you call it!) had a huge amount of play in it... a new turbo and exhaust later it was sorted.

However, if you've fitted a new turbo and not changed the exhaust, that may be your issue, as oil will collect in the cat and the exhaust pipe, then as you drive it, it will continue to burn and cause smoke. Check your dipstick and see if the oil level is actually stable.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.