Hybrid Turbo Advice

scottym

Diesel Powered
Sep 19, 2007
Ashford, KENT
Good evening guys and gals

I am after some advice regarding a new turbo for my PD150 Cupra.

I went for a remap today, but was told that the turbo is on its last legs, over boosting and possibly sticky vanes.....

It has been making the classic police siren noise for over 30k now, and I guess its time to get it sorted.

I am thinking I should go hybrid, because it means getting a map done once, not twice, and in the long run will save me some cash.

Can anybody reccomend one for my setup?

Car has done 133k

Has recently had the sachs uprated organic clutch and new OEM flywheel
Custom boost pipework and K&N panel filter.
Turbo back exhaust including de cat and single box.

Any advice on where to go would be fantastic.

Cheers

scottym

Diesel Powered
Sep 19, 2007
Ashford, KENT
Say for example if I went for this one here

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop...urbo-for-vag-19tdi-150bhp-engines-p-2707.html

Will that marry up with my current pipework (I have the SFS aluminium billet connectors in the end of my hose that goes to the pancake pipe)

What sort of power will I see with a map?

If I went for this

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop...urbo-for-vag-19tdi-150bhp-engines-p-2709.html

Will I need to uprate injectors? and if so, how much are they likely to cost?

Scott

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com

I'd second the suggestion of CR turbos. Very nice people, very helpful and reasonable prices (stage 2 hybrid for the pd150 was roughly £1000 when I enquired recently which gives upto 240 bhp and crazy torque with the correct injector setup)

I'm also quite tempted to try out the darkside developments GTBVK60 Audi Q7 conversion for the 150 which includes a tubular manifold but at £2k it's not exactly cheap, considering you need larger injectors to achieve their claimed power output - that's another £800!

scottym

Diesel Powered
Sep 19, 2007
Ashford, KENT
MJ, I wasnt really considering stage 2, as I really need to keep the costs down, and not have to spend out on new injectors.

A friend has suggested sending my GT1749 Garrett off with a GT2256 to have them hybridised and it should produce a good amount of power, this is one option and costs about 350 for a GT2256, and I think somewhere between 3-400 quid for the hybridised part.

Can you reccomend anybody to do the mapping afterwards?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
MJ, I wasnt really considering stage 2, as I really need to keep the costs down, and not have to spend out on new injectors.

A friend has suggested sending my GT1749 Garrett off with a GT2256 to have them hybridised and it should produce a good amount of power, this is one option and costs about 350 for a GT2256, and I think somewhere between 3-400 quid for the hybridised part.

Can you reccomend anybody to do the mapping afterwards?
There is a lot of difference between a max peak bhp and a average bhp on a dyno map. The stage two turbo is a much better turbo as you will have a lot higher average bhp and a much more peak constant bhp. You don`t need uprated injectors for a stage two turbo plus you might feel like fitting bigger injectors later on anyway. RStuning seem to have a good reputation or you could just contact Joe at http://www.chippedire.com/ which is where RStuning does or did get there diesel maps from. Jabbasport is an option but i personally don`t like their maps. I get my maps from abroad and load them myself. It all comes down to how you want to do it really.

scottym

Diesel Powered
Sep 19, 2007
Ashford, KENT
Thanks for the advice, can someone tell me the model of turbo that is fitted to the pd150 as standard? I am looking at getting a second hand one first, to have sent off to CR turbos so I don't have my car off of the road too long, is it a GT1749va?

Cheers

Scotty

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
VA is the standard PD130 turbo. VB is the PD150/160 turbo.

Bores and comparisons

Garrett designated turbos--------- intake Bore-------------- Exhaust Bore

GT 1749 V (GT15) ------------------1.326" -------------------1.441"

GT 1749 VA-------------------------1.390"--------------------1.467"

GT 1749 VB (THE"17) ---------------1.459" -------------------1.505"

smiff

Jun 14, 2006
stoke on trent
Thanks for the advice, can someone tell me the model of turbo that is fitted to the pd150 as standard? I am looking at getting a second hand one first, to have sent off to CR turbos so I don't have my car off of the road too long, is it a GT1749va?

Cheers

Scotty

The pd 150's run the vb turbo mate how much are you looking to pay for a second hand one? I'm runing the turbo dynamics stage 2 hybrid on my ibiza and its absolutely mental loads of tourqe and and still getting the economy best thing ive done so far

scottym

Diesel Powered
Sep 19, 2007
Ashford, KENT
Ideally 150-200 for a second hand unit, although I may be completely out with that ball park figure.....

I am seriously looking forward to getting mine sorted now!! - Smiff - who did your mapping afterwards?

smiff

Jun 14, 2006
stoke on trent
BVR in stoke mate custom map the total cost of my hybrid conversion was £1140 for the turbo and £625 for fitting and maping as you know some companies charge that much for just a map

scottym

Diesel Powered
Sep 19, 2007
Ashford, KENT
Okay, I had my turbo sent off yesterday, CR rang today and said its 525+Vat for the hybrid work to be carried out. It will be Stage 2.

Just to get it back and get it on the car now.

Will it be okay to drive the 60 or so miles to AMD to have it mapped? I really didnt want to have to trailer it there to be honest?

Also, what sort of power/torque will I be looking at, and will my economy be the same whilst driving normally?

Scott

tdi_swedge

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Okay, I had my turbo sent off yesterday, CR rang today and said its 525+Vat for the hybrid work to be carried out. It will be Stage 2.

Just to get it back and get it on the car now.

Will it be okay to drive the 60 or so miles to AMD to have it mapped? I really didnt want to have to trailer it there to be honest?

Also, what sort of power/torque will I be looking at, and will my economy be the same whilst driving normally?

Scott

I drove around for a month or so with my hybrid before getting mapped up. So should be ok for the 60mile drive.

Ste

scottym

Diesel Powered
Sep 19, 2007
Ashford, KENT
Turbo was fitted fine on saturday afternoon.

All is well, it drives okay, just a bit laggy to be honest, nothing untoward and no limp mode.

What sort of power/torque should I be expecting when I get it mapped? any ideas guys?

scottym

Diesel Powered
Sep 19, 2007
Ashford, KENT
Mapped

So, I had the car mapped almost two weeks ago now.

Results were as follows

Standard power run - 163 bhp/217 ftlb @ 3444RPM

Power after AMD remap - 206 bhp 293 ftlb @ 3444RPM

Overall the car feels alot better through the gears, almost like a petrol car, and in gear acceleration is amazing!!

My car is on 136,000 miles today, so figures may seem a bit low to some people, Kenny at AMD said a new set of injectors would see me an extra 20 bhp but I cant be bothered spending that much extra for such a small gain.

I now have the fun of improving my boost hose situation, my Allard pancake pipe and SFS turbo outlet hose just arent up to the job, I really need to have a custom pipe made with a solid 90 degree outlet from the turbo, down to the silicone 45 degree bend at the intercooler. Until then, I am running my standard (but leaky) pancake pipe.

Any suggestions for designs or improvements are NEEDED PLEASE!!!!

Scott

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.