Will 16" wheels fit over std FR brakes?

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Hello all - long time no-post. :)

I have tried searching, but no luck. Trying to look for winter tyre options for my dad for his 57-plate FR. He doesn't fancy swapping tyres around every season on the same rims, so is considering another set of wheels - which obviously opens up the options for 16" - so long as they fit over the front brakes.

Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Lo Mik

I think that the Ibiza PCD is 5x100, vs Mk2 Leon 5x112 though, so they'll clear, but not bolt up

:shrug: Come to think of it, when I popped the MK4 Ibiza wheel on I didn't actually bolt it up. I was too interested in the caliper clearance and chipping my nice black Hammerite on my calipers.

Sorry, It seems as if I've made a fool of myself :rolleyes: I will go and stand in the corner for a bit :redface:

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Hey m0rkus. [B)]

Scratch this question - he's just ordered some 17" snow tyres..... so now to see if there are any cheap 17"'s going. I know many of the Audi 17" rims are 5x112 aren't they?

16" steel wheels with winter tyres fit perfectly fine over my FR :)
+1. I used the wheel selector on mytyres.co.uk and it recommended 16" steels for my FR TFSI, so I ordered them as a package with four 205/55 R16 tyres - downsizing from the default 225/45 R17s I had on my FR from new. There was barely any clearance over the (standard) brakes, but they did indeed fit fine.

Last year I used the same wheel/tyre combo on my Ecomotive without any problems. The Ecomotive came fitted with 205/55 R16 alloys anyway.

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
There was barely any clearance over the (standard) brakes, but they did indeed fit fine.

well I'd better check mine - I got some 16" Audi alloys and blindly assumed they would fit. I'll put them on tonight and check...

what's the minimum clearance required - simply no scrubbing?

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Good news. My experience is that anything OEM of reasonable size won't cause issues.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.