Considering selling my special baby... What's it worth ?

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
I read that yours is Dirty ! Yikes ! :scary:

Have you no sense of public shame ??? Lol ! :lol:

Cheers mate. ;)

Mate if it offends you, you are more than welcome to come and give it a wash lol!!! But in regards to your car I think you should just abandon the thread because it is just going round in circles lol. You did ask for peoples opinions and I'm not necessarily saying whether I agree with you or everyone else but I think you are doing the right thing by not giving in and that you will be selling it for what YOU want to sell it for.

Let us know how you get on.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Mate if it offends you, you are more than welcome to come and give it a wash lol!!! But in regards to your car I think you should just abandon the thread because it is just going round in circles lol. You did ask for peoples opinions and I'm not necessarily saying whether I agree with you or everyone else but I think you are doing the right thing by not giving in and that you will be selling it for what YOU want to sell it for.

^^^^^^
Agreed :yes:

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire

Yeah, Ok, but I do charge by the minute mate...! ;)

I think you are right though, and it is very likely that I may decide not to sell in the end, but I have now reduced to £13,995 and that is my final offer! :redface:

I will keep you posted...

Cheers for now, JM :)

Jedimaster65

Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
+1

I have it too. 5500 miles and not one chip / mark.

They used my car for photos on the site too :)

Your car looks stunning there mate. :)

The Leon must be one of the trickiest cars to film due to the complex curves around the front wings especially, but they do a truly remarkable bit of work with even edges all the way around.

Amazing. :D

Dude

1st UK MK2 LCR on here
Dec 10, 2009
Cheers buddy :)

They do an amazing job.

I would definitely get my next car done again, if brand new.

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
One of my local car dealers didn't even understand what it was until I showed him. Had no idea. :rolleyes: He never even heard of it, sigh.
(

Because no one actually gives a ****. You are trading a car in, he does not care what extras you have fitted or what you have done to it as it makes no diffrence to the value of the car.

Hell, even some factory fitted options make near enough no diff or very little difference to the trade in price.

You are expecting to be handed basically your money back for what you paid for the car brand new.

Honestly, wake up and smell the coffee!:blink:

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Because no one actually gives a ****. You are trading a car in, he does not care what extras you have fitted or what you have done to it as it makes no diffrence to the value of the car.

Hell, even some factory fitted options make near enough no diff or very little difference to the trade in price.

You are expecting to be handed basically your money back for what you paid for the car brand new.

Honestly, wake up and smell the coffee!:blink:

Some people just don't know when to shut up. this thread died ages ago, get over it instead of trying to antagonise the OP.

Jedimaster65

Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
OK...

I know a few of you are dying to know what happened, but I just wanted to close the thread on a really positive note...

I didn't get my £14k ... after more research it's clear that wasn't realistic.

Al / Poverty - you were about right with your valuation figures.

I am NOT going to reveal the price I did get only because the very delighted new owner uses this site and it's confidential between me and him, so it wouldn't be right to quote it here.

But I will say this:

Many of us are much too quick to accept the utter crap the dealers tell you on valuation.
When they have a car to sell they give a lot of spiel about warranty, vehicle checks and other blah-blah. They cite Glass guide, yet when you want to trade in a car they only quote CAP values.

This is a dealer con and if you genuinely have a car that is super clean and desireable, my advice is do not accept any silly low trade in value.

I had extensive negotiations with the dealer where I just bought my Honda S2000 and got him to increase his offer twice - but it was still derisory!

In the end I got a full £2k more by selling privately!

And before anyone suspects the buyer was a mug, think again. He knew he wanted a perfect example of the Cupra.
After at least one time waster (Who is on here and bought a much higher mileage and inferior car) a serious buyer came to view and immediately realised that my motor was something unique.
He even commented on how it still smells brand new on getting in.

His eyes nearly popped out on seeing the vehicle condition and said he was almost affraid to touch it! (Lol).
He instantly loved the car and after a detailed inspection and my heart-in-the-mouth qualifying lap ;) agreed to buy at my asking price, without hesitation.

In summary, book price of £10k was totally irrelevant as my car had 30k less miles and brand new alloys, tyres plus a list of options as long as your arm etc, etc... - I got a lot more than that!

The moral is be realistic (OK - I admit I had to tone down my initial expectations) but stick to you guns and be patient.
It will sell for what it's worth in the end - not what some idiot 20 year old dealer tells you it is worth... and avoid P/X...-it's cheaper to give to charity! :cartman:

I don't feel smug about this, - I am just really pleased that both buyer and seller are happy they got a great deal - the way it should always be! :)

I am signing off now, - but thanks for everyone's input.
Using this website has been incredibly helpful for my ownership of both my Leon Mk2's since 2005. Keep up the good work!
Bye & Cheers for now
JM.

Last edited:

Jedimaster65

Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Well done. :)

Thanks mate.

There is a PS though.

There is one problem with this sale however...

Now I know exactly what Jeremy Clarkson meant when he had to hand back the Bugatti Veyron, and said how sad it made him feel, knowing he would "never have that power in his life again"...

I will certainly always miss that viceral, raw Cupra acceleration and torque... :cry:

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2009
Midlands
I totally agree on the poor prices dealers try to fob you off with, I know I can get 2.5k more on the lowest offer and at least 1k more on the highest if I sell privately!

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
OK...

I know a few of you are dying to know what happened, but I just wanted to close the thread on a really positive note...

I am NOT going to reveal the price I did get only because the very delighted new owner uses this site and it's confidential between me and him, so it wouldn't be right to quote it here.

But I will say this:

Many of us are much too quick to accept the utter crap the dealers tell you on valuation.
When they have a car to sell they give a lot of spiel about warranty, vehicle checks and other blah-blah. They cite Glass guide, yet when you want to trade in a car they only quote CAP values.

This is a dealer con and if you genuinely have a car that is super clean and desireable, my advice is do not accept any silly low trade in value.

I had extensive negotiations with the dealer where I just bought my Honda S2000 and got him to increase his offer twice - but it was still derisory!

And before anyone suspects the buyer was a mug, think again. He knew he wanted a perfect example of the Cupra.
After at least one time waster (Who is on here and bought a much higher mileage and inferior car) a serious buyer came to view and immediately realised that my motor was something unique.
He even commented on how it still smells brand new on getting in.

His eyes nearly popped out on seeing the vehicle condition and said he was almost affraid to touch it! (Lol).
He instantly loved the car and after a detailed inspection and my heart-in-the-mouth qualifying lap ;) agreed to buy at my asking price, without hesitation.

In summary, book price of £10k was totally irrelevant as my car had 30k less miles and brand new alloys, tyres plus a list of options as long as your arm etc, etc... - I got a lot more than that!

The moral is be realistic (OK - I admit I had to tone down my initial expectations) but stick to you guns and be patient.
It will sell for what it's worth in the end - not what some idiot 20 year old dealer tells you it is worth... and avoid P/X...-it's cheaper to give to charity! :cartman:

I don't feel smug about this, - I am just really pleased that both buyer and seller are happy they got a great deal - the way it should always be! :)

I am signing off now, - but thanks for everyone's input.
Using this website has been incredibly helpful for my ownership of both my Leon Mk2's since 2005. Keep up the good work!
Bye & Cheers for now
JM.

Proper chuffed for you mate. Congratulations!!!!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
i have never traded in a car in my life and never will.
even though sometimes its the thought of handling a large sum of money , i would rather do that than have someone make a profit out of my loss.

i think dealing with car sales men rank up their with one of the most stressful things you can do !.

i hate dealing with them because of their jekyl and hide attitude , really nice when you want to part with your cash , but totally different story when there is a problem with the car you have bought from them.

any way sounds like you are happy with the deal and sounds like your car has gone to someone who will appreciate it.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
OK...

But I will say this:

JM.

Good on you I have made an extra 1-1.5K over the best dealer offer going privately on several occasions glad you got to an acceptable price.

Dealers seem to like to take your trousers have a rummage around and let you pull your own trousers up all without expecting you to say anything!!!

Jedimaster65

Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Congrats mate, sounds like your cupra has gone to a good home. Any pictures of the new car?

Thanks mate, - here you go...

P1040201.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

P1040208.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

DSCF3763.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.