Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Cheers!

I was looking at the butyl stuff on t'bay, at about half the price of the "real" thing from VAG. Will get some. As for the old foam stuff I assumed it would have some sort of adhesive backing to hold it in place during assembly - makes the job a million times easier if it doesn't have a backing.

DS :)

The standard stuff does have a backing, but as above, comes off very easily.

Joey2cool

Nov 14, 2007
Wiltshire
with the proper VAG stuff, would you guys who have used it recommend stretching it out a bit to reduce the outer diameter? Its thick stuff and dont want issues when screwing it all back together!

DubSteve68

Nov 4, 2010
Up North
It does have an adhesive backing but it comes off REALLY easy!

Cheers fella (LEE69 too!), I was worried about getting a decent seal if I couldn't shift the remnants of the old stuff. Fingers crossed, just hope I get a couple of decent days off work to get the job done...

DS :)

Rauer

I removed all the bolts, then you can slide the carrier down a bit( don't pull too hard cause the window is attatched to it

Joey2cool- I used the seat stuff , you just have to push the carrier back into place abit cause of the thickness

d3m0niTe

LCR 225
Jun 21, 2010
Bromley, Kent
I’m about to order some sort of seal cord for my front two doors but I’m unsure which one to get.

Seal cord (AKD 497 010 04R10)

Or VW seal cord alternative (AKL 450 005 05)

Or some of the ebay butyl strip that’s available http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUTYL-SEALANT...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa5e5542b

Has anyone had any experience with the ebay butyl strip or the VW seal cord alternative (AKL 450 005 05)? Can’t imagine they’ll be much difference

LCR-225

Sorry if this has already been asked, but am I right in thinking this is the same fix for the rear doors aswell??

Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
Jan 21, 2005
The Blackcountry
Right. I've done three out the four doors on the old banger today (ran out of light in the end) and here's what I've learned - sorry if any of this has been said before ;)

1. The 10mm butyl strip you can get off ebay works just fine so save yourself enough for several halves of ale and buy that rather than line the dealers' pocket.

2. Ditto the VAG door clips you can get off there too.

3. I've done the lower half of the frame on each door rather than the lot and if you do that, you'll get away with one roll of the stuff so that'll save you even more. Just make sure you go past the midway point either side and just past the nearest bolt holding the carrier tray thing in as this holds the sticky stuff nice and tight.

4. as has been said, if you take all the bolts out with the exception of the top row then, take these out one at a time and then put them back in a couple of turns, it gives you enough clearance to feed the stuff in without flattening it.

5. I made sure there was about a third of the rope stuff visible outside the edge of the carrier tray thing and then if you gently press the tray against the door inner you get the bolt started.

6. Do this all the way round then tighten finger tight, then tighten each one right up.

7. You'll end up with a nice bit oosed out all the way round, but dont cut it off!

8. The back doors dont have any torx screws at the bottom but have 7 (I think) plastic clips instead. I took a picture of this (which I'll post up tommorow hangover pending) so you can locate them, as if you lever it off randomly, you likley break them (I broke three on the off side rear, but only one on the nearside once I new where they were.)

9. The light at the foot of the door is easier to disconect if you pop it out towards the inside of the car, rather than fart around from the back.

10. I'm boring myself now so I'm off to the pub, but if you want any more info, ask away.

Cheers

B ;)

Rip_Uk

Did you put any of the strip tape around the speaker or did you use silicone? I have done my O/S/R door with silicone but I have ordered one of these rolls for the other doors. Waiting for a dry weekend as its dark when I leave the house and dark when I get in any other day :(

I reccomend at least sealing around the speaker housing as this is where I had leaks.

Rauer

I didn't seal my speaker , make sure you clear the drain holes, the amount of crap I got out!

ajmally100

Oct 11, 2009
Edinburgh
It's been about 3 weeks since I've sealed my doors for the second time. I used the SEAT seal cord and it seems to have done the trick. :D

I hope that I haven't jinxed it! :blink:

Rauer

Mines dry as a bone too! Not my dogs bone tho he's slobberd all over that!

richardj5

Nov 21, 2010
Wish I'd found this forum earlier! Steamy windows and pollen filter

Hi

As the title says, I had trouble with condensation and steamy windows on my 2001 1.9 Tdi, got the windscrenn relpaced and had the air con re-charged before I found this forum, checked the pollen filter this evening, soaking wet!

Just ordered a new one, and will re fit soon, in the mean time I have removed the old one, will this do any harm in the short term (Or indeed in the long term? could I leave it out forever!).

Regards

Richard

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
Ive found another leak in my car in the boot but dont think its the rear washer as there is no smell of screenwash from the water. How do i go about sealing the rear lights? Its the only other place i can think of that the water could be getting in!