Will these LED DRL's work on the Exeo?

OrangePeel

Aug 23, 2008
Paisley
Please let me know how you get on... I must admit to being more than a little confused when it comes to all the LED lighting threads...

OP

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Update,

They work for about 5 mins and then once warm they throw up an error message. I guess that the extra resistance needed will be small. For 11 quid I may keep them and see if I can add a 5w5 bulb to up the resistance a bit.

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Another update,

I have come to a compromise, I didn't want to modify my lights/wiring permanently just in case I need to make a warranty claim on my xenons. I wanted some plug n play LED DRL's. I have come to realise that at the moment that isn't going to happen.

Here is what I have done, it's a slight modification in that there is a little bit of solder involved. The solder can be removed if need be. The resistance of these new LED DRL's is very close to what is required, I spotted this when I found that they only threw an error when they were warmed up (some will know that resistance changes with heat) Having already done this same mod to a previous set of LED DRL's and it failing I decided to have another go. I'll stop waffling on now and post some pics.

Solder a 5w5 bulb onto the OEM bulb holder on a 4 inch tail then fit the LED DRL.
Picture574.jpg

Insert the 5w5 bulb first and make sure it tucks in a corner, then clip the bulb holder in. As you can see when the DRL is off it looks like OEM.
Picture576.jpg

You can just make out the 5w5 bulb at night with the correct camera settings
Picture577.jpg

During the day or dusk the LED DRL totally overpowers the little 5w5 bulb and it's not really visible.
Picture578.jpg

Picture581.jpg

Picture580-1.jpg

I think you could pop the 5w5 bulb in the engine bay if you wanted to but this would be hard work and require slots cut out to allow the wiring.

I'm happy with this as it is.

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I've now changed down to 3w bulbs as extra resistance and still no errors. :D

I've had an idea about replacing the 3w bulbs with these clicky They will fit inside tucked in the corner the same as my 3w bulbs, make no light output and I know from using them before on my Leon that they don't get very hot. When I bought them for my Leon they were about a fiver though :rolleyes:

Oh well all together it works out the same price as the Carmod shop ones that would have needed big resistors and heat sinks and fans. These are brighter and simpler.

Last edited:

bencook

Apr 10, 2013
Hi Nath - I'm interested in soldering some resistors onto the DRL bulb holders, but your images aren't showing anymore. Any chance you could re-post them please?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.