GUIDE: Retro fitting OEM Satnav MFD2/MFD3

Pugbug88

i am so tempted to buy 1 of these but need to no about the bluetooth on the mfd , steering wheel controls and also the ipod dock under the drivers seat will they all sill work without out the need of coding

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Bluetooth and steering controls will work. The clock *may* be shifted so you can't see the minutes on the MFD - this is due to the version of the gateway. I don't know about the ipod dock - I assume it's a aux on the quadlock so you may have to move the connection as the aux is in a different position on the RNS510 (easy).

Pugbug88

Will all steering controls work and also will I be able to see the phonebook on the mfd as I heard ppl had problems with this and also the skip track buttons

iwcham1979

Jul 7, 2009
Guys, I want to buy one of these. Will it all work on 2007 Seat Altea 2.0Tdi with steering wheel controls and parking sensors? Are any glitches to be expected? Since I live in Serbia and have steering wheel on the left side, I guess it will be very simple to install. The thing about the removal of the A pillar cover worries me though, since I have an AirBag there? Tnx for help ;)

cila555

CiLA
Apr 2, 2010
Kosice - Slovakia
www.cila.sk
I have in my car Cupra R RNS510 with Dynaudio, Genesis and JL. All is working 100% and sound is amazing. As you can see with logo SEAT :)

1086_IMG_0428A.jpg

142_IMG_0438.jpg

993_DSC08915.JPG

992_DSC08917.JPG

971_DSC08626.JPG

matt_j

Hi Guys - just wondering if someone could help me after my recent efforts.

I have read this thread with interest so thank you to all who have contributed :)

I do a lot of work miles in my 2006 2l FR TDI but I love the car so I don't want to switch, buying an OEM unit seemed so much better than buying a tom tom for 150 quid but with that said (having just installed it) I'm wondering whether I made the right choice:

1. The sat nav seems to barely know any roads...
  2. The clock has moved across (expected but annoying)
  3. The DVD player works only when stopped and even then it seems clumsy in how it can play

I haven't been able to test the radio because there is a 2-1 connection needed which I seem to have overlooked.

I bought this item on ebay and so far the whole thing has cost me £465 - (dam I have posted less than 15 times) put item number 140607972348 into ebay...
I sacrificed an SD card input to get something a little more OEM - everything fitted fine.

As you can see from the description it's supposed to be all singing and dancing - I can't honestly say whether it's going to drain my battery or not, anyone know?

I can't seem to get satnav and film on at the same time (when stopped) perhaps I have a different version to what I thought I was getting....

The clock I can live with, I would happily donate a tin of pringles to whoever can reassure me that my satnav is much better and I have missed something somewhere by being an idiot.

I also need to be able to play films on the go, the missus is just asking far too many questions now and I need to distract her with other things - MFD3 was expected to do this....

Many thanks in advance.

Also - I mounted the gps on top of the vents behind the dash but can't see how many satellites I have got (am I missing something?)

:funk:

matt_j

Ok so some mild progress.

Did a chunk more reading - still almost wishing that I had gone and got a VW unit as the firmware upgrades are plentiful and the sat nav through post code seems much better. That said, maybe it would have ruined my steering wheel controls or forced battery drain...I still don't know if battery drain is still going to be a problem so I should find out in the next couple of days!

I picked up my fascia from seat today at 12 quid - happy with it until it didn't fit properly then read on here I should have ordered some clips...(sigh) so will be ordering thoise next week.

No radio at the moment because the standard cable is a single input and the unit requires a double input - found this on ebay (radio antenna adapter VW Fakra RCD510 310) and £13.50 later it should be on it's way to me this week.

Given I am on 996 firmware it seems there is an update from 2009 for the 1024 version - just downloaded it and installed - it works. Sat nav is much improved with road names and it is easier to find things but there is still no postcode functionality.

I'm getting convinced that I should have this from the supposed 2011 maps that the unit should have come with as advertised but it doesn't seem to have.

For post code search is it updated firmware or maps that will deliver this option??

Many thanks in advance - I'm happier but could really do witha postcode search and the option to see my clock again - will a change in CAN bus sort this out? I still have no idea what that is:banned:

matt_j

Turns out it does have a four digit post code search I just hadn't found it. Between using that and a listed road name and/or places of interest it's a very good tool but lacking the most recent of updates.

Antenna converter lead came today, perfect for the job and I have heard that the extra benefit of not mauling the original connector is that the traffic reports/sat nav info is received quicker & easier but I shall wait and see how it works next week when I'm out again.

Anybody have any suggestions as to exactly how I would find out what version of maps are stored on my MFD3? Please?

Starting to feel like I'm talking to myself a little bit here! :cry:

pubsinger

Jan 18, 2007
Latest map versions (nearly 12 months old now) are 7333 for Western Europe 7334 for Eastern Europe, to check your map and firmware version press and hold (for about 30 seconds) the setup button.

I'm on maps 7333 and FW 996 and only get 4/5 digit postcode search, not sure what FW 1024 provides but reading all sources won't provide full postcode seach so I don't think I'll bother. Apparently VW units have far more regular FW updates and do have full postcode search, they use the same maps so it's FW to blame.

All the best

Pub

matt_j

Latest map versions (nearly 12 months old now) are 7333 for Western Europe 7334 for Eastern Europe, to check your map and firmware version press and hold (for about 30 seconds) the setup button.

I'm on maps 7333 and FW 996 and only get 4/5 digit postcode search, not sure what FW 1024 provides but reading all sources won't provide full postcode seach so I don't think I'll bother. Apparently VW units have far more regular FW updates and do have full postcode search, they use the same maps so it's FW to blame.

All the best

Pub

Woh! Thanks pub, how do you know so much about firmware and map software release numbers?
I have tried holding down setup for a long time but no joy, this is with the stereo on and even tried it when off but no luck, am i being a div?

Also, since I got my aerial lead and connected it up my mfd3 keeps asking for the install code at random? What have I done now?

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Woh! Thanks pub, how do you know so much about firmware and map software release numbers?
I have tried holding down setup for a long time but no joy, this is with the stereo on and even tried it when off but no luck, am i being a div?

Also, since I got my aerial lead and connected it up my mfd3 keeps asking for the install code at random? What have I done now?

if its not in dans guide itll be in HERE.

keep reading matey.

pubsinger

Jan 18, 2007

This should work, you have to do it with no key in the ignition though. Now I can't remember if you press and hold the setup button with the unit on or off, but if one way doesn't work try the other.

There seems to be a later maps out now (haven't been keeping an eye on this)

Version 7.1 CD numbers cd_7476 West Europe and cd_7477 for East Europe.
Version 7.2 CD numbers cd_7551 West Europe and cd_7552 for East Europe.

All the best

Pub

Last edited:

pubsinger

Jan 18, 2007
Hmm, seems to be some conflicting info regarding version 7.1, the numbers above may be a custom version, looks like the originals are cd_7419/7420

All the best

Pub

alesi27

My other car's a Mustang!
May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
Just to update this thread with details of how you can change the "Welcome to VW" splash screen to the "SEAT Media System" splash screen.

I posted it elsewhere, but copied it here for anyone who has bought a VW RNS510 rather than a SEAT one.

I'm assuming that you have a VW unit and a PC with internet at home, and a dvd burner.
I use Firefox, this might be different on IE or other browsers.

Click on
http://www.netdata.be/iso/

go to the Volkswagen tab in the black bar across the top and click on it. This brings up a gallery of images. The OEM screen for the SEAT Media System is the second one down in the left hand column. (there are other Seat ones, but they are few and far between.)

Left click on the image and this brings it up on a pop-up window. Select Volkswagen RNS510 from the list under the large pic and then right-click on the large pic. From the list select "save image as" and save it to your PC, somewhere easy to find. It should save as a PNG image.

Now, go back to your internet and the netdata page you were on. Click on Home in the black bar across the top.
Step 1, select Volkswagen.
Step 2, click browse and select the PNG image file you just saved to your PC, and upload it.
Step 3, click create ISO file. This should convert it to an ISO file.
The next pop-up window should give you the option of what to do with this file. Select save file and store to your PC or open with and use your burning software. I use DVD Decrypter, they also suggest Nero.
I then burned the file to a DVD R.

Check out this video on http://www.netdata.be/iso/?action=howto or from the HowTo tab on the black bar. It's not english but shows the sequence of events. Most is automatically done by the unit itself.

Go to car. Turn on unit by power button, not with key in ignition. Press and hold the eject, the i or star button next to it and with another hand the setup button. The unit should go into setup mode. Insert the disc.
when you get the message Do you want to proceed press YES.
When you get the UPDATE SUCCESSFUL press eject and remove the disc, the unit should restart in normal mode. And you should have the lovely Seat Splash screen.
[B)]

Cheers,
Roy

May 7, 2011
North East, UK
Well I have just ordered MDF3 SEAT DVD Media System for my 2011 Seat Leon FR CR170.

Wish me luck on fitting over the weekend!! I will checkack and let you know how it goes!!

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Well I have just ordered MDF3 SEAT DVD Media System for my 2011 Seat Leon FR CR170.

Wish me luck on fitting over the weekend!! I will checkack and let you know how it goes!!

How much did you pay and where from?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.