My guide on fitting a cd player under your steering wheel.

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Cheers Ethan, Am i right in tinking that you just plug the speaker connector (brown) into the new headunit, then double up the black connector (split every wire into two to create two identical connectors) then one black connector goes to original unit and the other goes to the new aftermarket headunit?

Adamricko

MK3 1.4.cool/s
Jun 23, 2009
Manchester
Cheers Ethan, Am i right in tinking that you just plug the speaker connector (brown) into the new headunit, then double up the black connector (split every wire into two to create two identical connectors) then one black connector goes to original unit and the other goes to the new aftermarket headunit?

Couple of things, the speakers block goes straight in aslong as your new headunit is the same. I put a kenwood in mine and speakers block were same type.

Point 2. I only joined 3 wires from the other block to my new headunit. Unsure Wich ones at the mo but can check for you later. But I don't think it would be a problem doing the whole block.

I also needed an aerial adapter for mine as a different fitting, but the length was spot on.

Will put a pic up of the 3 wires needed later if wanted.

Ps. I used crimps over tape or soldering. saved time and easier than soldering, nice and clean too.

Last edited:

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Couple of things, the speakers block goes straight in aslong as your new headunit is the same. I put a kenwood in mine and speakers block were same type.

Point 2. I only joined 3 wires from the other block to my new headunit. Unsure Wich ones at the mo but can check for you later. But I don't think it would be a problem doing the whole block.

I also needed an aerial adapter for mine as a different fitting, but the length was spot on.

Will put a pic up of the 3 wires needed later if wanted.

Ps. I used crimps over tape or soldering. saved time and easier than soldering, nice and clean too.

Nice one Adamricko cheers for the reply! Im guessing the 3 wires would be Battery live, Ignition live and Ground? No idea which these are on the plug so if you could let me know that would be great! And yeah a picture would be even better, pictures tell 1000 words as they say.

Thanks again mate.
Greg

Adamricko

MK3 1.4.cool/s
Jun 23, 2009
Manchester
Nice one Adamricko cheers for the reply! Im guessing the 3 wires would be Battery live, Ignition live and Ground? No idea which these are on the plug so if you could let me know that would be great! And yeah a picture would be even better, pictures tell 1000 words as they say.

Thanks again mate.
Greg

Apologies, didn't get round to doing this last night. Will take pics today and upload when I get home.

Last edited:

Adamricko

MK3 1.4.cool/s
Jun 23, 2009
Manchester
Here we go.

Your after the red(looks abit orange on pic)/green blue/green and the brown.

I think the brown is the earth but im not honestly sure as my mate did this. Im sure somebody knows which is which or a search may find it. I do know that the ignition live im using keeps the radio on until the key is taken out of the ignition like the normal Head Unit.

DSC00146-1.jpg

DSC00147-1.jpg

DSC00148-1.jpg

Hope this helps

benwalllker

perfect!!! anyone wanting to do this and worried about the wiring, althought this is a great example and helped me do it reaaly well. wen u buy a new joining block/pin for the new cd player it has all the wires in it ready and all you do is connect the wires in the same places as the ones on the original block/pin. if that makes sense,
do you guys have to turn your standard tape players on to use your cd player??

greg

Aug 31, 2005
perfect!!! anyone wanting to do this and worried about the wiring, althought this is a great example and helped me do it reaaly well. wen u buy a new joining block/pin for the new cd player it has all the wires in it ready and all you do is connect the wires in the same places as the ones on the original block/pin. if that makes sense,
do you guys have to turn your standard tape players on to use your cd player??

No, because they are wired in parallel not series.

Finan

i went jap.. :O
Jan 18, 2009
Eíre
bebo.com
I've Put Mine In Glovebox, Fits like A Glove Altho, Not Safe To Change Cd While Driving :lol:

Pic: (not the best pic cus it was night, but govebox opens and closes properly)
091106_220527.jpg

smiffymk3

Jan 31, 2011
Aylesbury
I've Put Mine In Glovebox, Fits like A Glove

i see what you did there :cartman:

just dragging up an old thread, going to do this at the weekend, got decent speakers in my car already. is the old headunit really that bad though? i.e is it noticeably worse when compared to an aftermarket unit?

Finan

i went jap.. :O
Jan 18, 2009
Eíre
bebo.com
The standard unit is good..
except for the twitchy volume button :L

Sadly about 3days after this picture my car died :L
So.. i never really got time to compare them.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise