Winter tyres

Mancseat

Feb 23, 2011
Treated myself to a set of TS830s in early August, shipped direct from Germany.

They're already £40 a tyre more expensive than I paid, on several online tyre sites.
Well worth buying out of season if you can afford to.
A bit late with the advice though.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Several new variants of winter tyre by the bigger brands are available this year.

The first couple of 2011 Winter Tyre Tests have taken place too:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-ACE-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm (205/55/16 tested)
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Auto-Zeitung-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm (205/55/16 tested)

So far, it's looking like the Goodyear Ultragrip 8 is the one to beat (if it's available in the size you need).

Results of another Winter Tyre Test:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Auto-Bild-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm (225/45/17 tested)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002

I'd treat those results with some caution though, as they're just the subjective opinions of a small number of drivers. In the Nokian's case just 2 reviews.
I suspect what happens is that the first time anyone tries a set of winter tyres - whatever make/model - they find them such an improvement over summer tyres that they give them really good ratings.
But that doesn't help differentiate between which individual makes/models of winter tyres are better.

That's where the independent tyre tests come in, testing a range of models in controlled conditions against a prescribed set of tests, to give a good comparison. I personally put more faith in those test results.

That said, Nokian have been making winter tyres for 75 years, and we had good performance from the previous WRG2s, so I expect their latest models will be pretty capable.
I couldn't work out what the differences between the WRA3 and WRD3 were though....

Would be nice to see a few more winter test results to see which are consistently good performers, but I'm not risking leaving it any longer before buying in case the prices fly up (there's a massive surge in interest in them this year on a few forums that I've seen, and Conti are advertising them on mainstream telly now).

Just ordered 6 x Goodyear Ultragrip 8.
4 for our Mondeo's first fitment, and 2 to replace a worn pair of Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds on my Passat.
Ordered them from Camskill this morning and they're already out for delivery tomorrow morning.

Fishy

May 16, 2005
OK just where to get some winter rubber at a good price? Anyone got any idea's?

Fish

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
had new Dunlop Wintersport 3D's for last winter, probably still got 6mm all round so still got those for this year ;)

the Mrs' Leon is due a set of treads for the fronts......just wondering whether to put 2 winter tyres of the fronts, but these would be on for all year round use :think: or should i just stick on a pair of quality all season tyres?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Fitted my winters yesterday :D

But not because I think winter is on it's way - the cheapy tyres that were on the set of alloys I bought recently were so downright dangerous in the wet, I figured I'd stick my winters on and wear out the last couple of mm on the fronts (Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds) before fitting the new GY UG8s - which are now in the boot waiting for the first sign of impending winter to get fitted !
Even with only 2mm of tread and temps of 15ºC or more today, the worn-out Wintersports were far grippier than the shitty Prestivos that were on there previously. Shockingly bad.

FRozz

Oct 17, 2010
Romania
Anyone tried Falken HS439s. £109 a corner and rated highly. I have read some bad reviews of them but these are from testing in thick snow and ice, I would rather tyres that perform well on cold wet roads as when it does actually snow it is impossible to drive over 30, stuck behind 20 other cars trundling along.

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
My first ever set of winters arrived today. Buy them now while they're still cheap!!! Prices will be doubling in a few months. Don't know when to put them on yet, its still very warm!

Fishy

May 16, 2005
225/45/17's, but just picked up some Kleber Quadraxer's for £109 in all per corner.

Fish

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Sadly I had a day off and was bored so spent a bit if time phoning the usual/locals, but even at the price I got was £25 better than where I usually go to. Plus you're a bit too far up north to go for some rubber.

Thanks though
Fish

matt l

Jan 28, 2008
had mine fitted yesterday (nankang sv2's) read some good reviews on them was a bit dubious has i know their summer tyres are called ditchfinders :lol: but so far so good.

realised how hard my normal tyres (bridgestone re050a's) are as the road noise/bumpyness has reduced dramatically, probably doesnt help that the rears that were on the car were apparently out of shape :|

will give a proper review when the colder weather starts to come in, although i have nothing to compare it too really as its my first winter in an auto + leon :lol: last year my ibiza with prestive summer tyres was unstoppable :lol:

scottym

Diesel Powered
Sep 19, 2007
Ashford, KENT
Here is my story

Placed an order for 4x16" steelies and Goodyear Ultragrip 8s's with mytyres on 10/10/11.

They were showing stock OK at the time, total bill including postage £640.

They said they didnt receive my order until the 17/10/11, kept me waiting and waiting, after several phone calls, they said "they will be with you in a week", this happened THREE TIMES.

After Friday last week went past, nothing came. Today I get an email shown below....

Delticom Limited
Business sector www.mytyres.co.uk

Dear Mr. Modha,

We are sorry to inform you that the order RD 1232****
listed in your order dated 17.10.2011 will be cancelled, because the items are unavailable for delivery.

WHAT COMPLETE AND UTTER ****!

This is the WORST company I have had the displeasure of dealing with via the internet, and I will never ever reccommend them to friends or family, or anybody on the internet!

Needless to say I am pissed off, to make matters worse, they have said it takes 3 days to refund me via paypal.

ANGRY is an understatement, now I am left without winter tyres and steelies and the price has more than likely gone up by at least 25% in that time!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.