DIY Boost leak tester guide

s_purs

I'm in the Reigate area, if my tester works then your welcome to come down my way and use it. I won't be able to fix your issue though, this will only highlight where it is and then it's up to you to buy the necessary hose, gasket etc.

Thanks, are you around on the morning/lunch time of Saturday the 16th? If I cant find anybody else who has experience of fixing them too then that would be great. Dont spose you happen to have vag-com either do you? lol

Is there anybody else around the Reading area (or Hertfordshire/Barnet this weekend, or Guildford area next weekend) who has made this, knows how to fix the problems and fancies testing my car for me please?

I would happily drive to theirs and sort out some beer money/whatnot. Would really put my mind at rest on my leak.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamJay

California Bound
I may be, I will let you know if you PM me. I have VCDS too but depends on what you want to do on it.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but IF you do have a leak then it'll be up to you to purchase the hose that has likely broken and fit it, there is no magical roadside fix for these so you'll have to wait until you have a new one but even the least competent person can fit a hose :).

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
What is everybody using for the compressor on this?Am i okay buying a halfrauds tyre inflator/compressor with a guage for £30?

NO, don't waste your money, i tried it already and it was an epic fail, i could fart more air than these things put out, believe it or not a foot pump is better/quicker, try to get one will 2 barrels on it if you don;t have access to a proper compressor, or use your local petrol station, but be careful with this as there pumps will keep pumping air until something pops.

ben_edwards30

Jul 5, 2009
Shropshire
Can some one help me out please. I went to loads of Plumbing places today and asked for 63mm pvc wavin and they all looked at me stupid! I even showed them pictures of what i want it for.
The closest i got was at a plumb base but that was only 50mm pipe the next thing he said and so did all the others was 68mm down pipe.

Where exactly did you guys get your bits of pipe and what did you ask for, or even part numbers?

if someone on here works at a plumbing place ill happilly send them some £££ for the bits if they can get them.

Cheers, Ben.

JamJay

California Bound
I gave up Ben, the internet turns up no results and like you I found plumbing places with no idea what I needed or if it existed. I think Wavin is the brand name so obviously they won't all know it as that. I built mine out of a 60mm Vitamin C pot, even had a lip around the top to stop it blowing off under pressure & works well with a foot pump.

ben_edwards30

Jul 5, 2009
Shropshire
Finally made one of these, got a friend to make me a 63mm ally tube with a cap welded one end and an external bead the other to stop it popping off. I'll get a big up 2moz.

ben_edwards30

Jul 5, 2009
Shropshire
Just tried my boost leak tester. Couldn't hear any leaks anywhere so im happy. The only air i could hear escape was though the oil cap/filler hole but i take it thats normal? (i did take the cap off don't worry).
I went to about 1.2 bar as in the video, is that about right or should i of gone more?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I found an easier way to do this the other day.

Pull the connection off your turbo and plug it with something thats not coming out, so needs jubilees etc...

Cut down a tyre valve and shove it into the 8mm N75 connection and secure it with jubilees etc...

Connect your compressor up to it and pressurise.

Go to at least 1.5bar as well.

johno1404

4 DOORS FOR MORE *****S
Aug 22, 2005
Hertfordshire
Im really struggling to find anyone around my area that can supply me the pvc pipe and end cap. Been to various plumbing suppliers with no joy

Im 99% sure i have a leak but cant find it [:@]

yamz89

Cool guide, I like it, its inspired me to make my own, but like other's I'm struggling to get the right sized pipework, but I'm positive it won't beat me!

2.PVC(wavin) 63mm OD pipe(called 2 inch wavin in most plumbing places)

It's sounds like your contradicting yourself when you say 2 inch is 63mm, its not. 2" is around 49mm. 63mm is closer to 2 1/2 inches.

Or are you saying 2" PVC pipes are measured internally, resulting in an outside diameter of 63mm?

BTW, My TIP on my 180 turbo has an inside diameter of around 72mm if you have any idea's?

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Most of you are asking for 63mm Piping places go off ID on plumbing parts..So youl be asking for 2'' Push fit Or mechanical Solvent Fit...

You can get a Push fit stop end for a 2'' pipe with a cap at the end il get a Pictures if needs be...I got mine of my Plumber mate and drilled a tyres valve in the top...

yamz89

Most of you are asking for 63mm Piping places go off ID on plumbing parts..So youl be asking for 2'' Push fit Or mechanical Solvent Fit...

You can get a Push fit stop end for a 2'' pipe with a cap at the end il get a Pictures if needs be...I got mine of my Plumber mate and drilled a tyres valve in the top...

So you saying a regular 2" piece of PVC pipe will fit properly inside my turbo intake pipe? I don't want to stretch the silicone hose if I can help it, nor do I want the pipe too small in case it fly's off towards Ireland..

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Cool guide, I like it, its inspired me to make my own, but like other's I'm struggling to get the right sized pipework, but I'm positive it won't beat me!

It's sounds like your contradicting yourself when you say 2 inch is 63cm, its not. 2" is around 49mm. 63mm is closer to 2 1/2 inches.

Or are you saying 2" PVC pipes are measured internally, resulting in an outside diameter of 63mm?

BTW, My TIP on my 180 turbo has an inside diameter of around 72mm if you have any idea's?

These are imperial sizes, as this seems to be causing confusion for people, here's a chart to confirm ;) Piping is measured on Outside Diameter as Internal Diameter varies depending on the pressure rating, size etc... Confusing i know, but below is the conversion from imperial to metric.

sizes.jpg

All plumbing places should stock this.

Last edited:

yamz89

I think your confused mate, hate to say it but your chart is wrong. get a ruler and draw a 2 inch line on a piece of paper. now measure that line in mm's and tell me what you get..

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.