2011 Winter Tyres - What are you opting for?

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
I am needing new front tyres (225/40/18Y) and was going to get winter tyres but for all year round use.

The back tyres were dealer fitted from new (Dunlop Sport Maxx) when i got it 3 years ago, they have done 42k miles and still have 4.5mm on them just now. They stick like shi* and last winter i never had the tail doing its own thing (unless i made it do that, hehehe).

Some tyre places seam to insist you have the winter tyres on all 4 corners, but others arent fussed. What's correct?

The only difficulty i have with snow is getting out of my parking space when there is a ridge of ice, despite sometimes driving though 6-8" of fresh snow ontop of compacted snow, i never got stuck on the roads last year. Was hairy some times but always manageable.

Currently being quoted £145 each all inc for 225/40R18 92V XL TL COOPER WEATHERMASTER SNOW tyres by my nearest tyre place (Tawse Tyre Co Ltd, Inverurie). They say they are good all year round performers, any experience of these?

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
I've just order some Vredstein Winter Contac 3 (16"), priced them at £91 a pop and phoned my local tyre guy and he got them for £94 fitted, I was looking at Dunlop ultragrip8 but they've gone up £6 since last week so was looking at £100+ fitting. I was going to get 2 but my current summer tyres are about 3mm front and 2mm back so didn't want to risk them on the rear. I only do about 8K miles a year so should last me a few years as I'll be buying summer tyres in the spring.

Bookerman

Just started looking at buying a set of steel wheels with winter tyres fitted. On mytyres it brings up 6 different wheel options for the leon (2007 FR TDI) but I ain't got a clue which ones are for my car. Anyone know?

Some tyre places seam to insist you have the winter tyres on all 4 corners, but others arent fussed. What's correct?
They make such a big difference in really bad conditions that I'd say it's safer to have four on, otherwise you'll get quite a bit of oversteer. You'll notice less difference in good weather of course.
That's good advice, but some folks seem to find it OK with winters only on the front. I'd always get all four corners matching (at least the type of tyre if not the model/brand) personally.

At the moment I have Conti WinterContact TS830 on the fronts and Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 on the rears - both decent winter tyres.

phantom1

bucks beast
Nov 8, 2010
buckinghamshire
Just got myself 4 goodyear ultimate grip performance 2 snow and winter tyres, cost me 152 per corner so hopefuply they going to be top notch this winter and we are going to have a harsh winter from what i hear, cant wait for some snow now to test it out, hope its money well spent.

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
hi guys. looking at getting a set of tyres soon. would ideally like Goodyear Ultragrip Performance 2's but they are quite pricey!!!

Another option is Avon Ice Touring ST's which are cheaper i am just worried they won't be as good as the afore mentioned Goodyears.

Any thoughts?

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
Just got myself 4 goodyear ultimate grip performance 2 snow and winter tyres, cost me 152 per corner so hopefuply they going to be top notch this winter and we are going to have a harsh winter from what i hear, cant wait for some snow now to test it out, hope its money well spent.

Snap.

I paid the same about 6 weeks ago, so doesn't look like the prices have gone up yet.

Bookerman

Are most of you guys putting winters on your every day wheels or have you got a 2nd set?

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
Can you make do with just the front tyres as winter ones? Or do all 4 need to be?

If you read the last few pages of this thread there seems to be a few people who do that but recommendation is to have all 4 as grip on the front and none on the back will lead to oversteer and death :D. I was going to go with 2 but didn't want "forget" I had less rear grip and end up spinning out on day. In bad conditions I am sure you would be driving slow and get away with 2 fronts, for me it was the "not so bad" conditions that I reckon would catch me out!

Up to you.

There are a lot of part worn ones on ebay going for a decent price, 4mm / 6mm grip, I have read in Germany (or somewhere) 4mm is the legal limit for winter tyres so they get shipped over here, not sure if its true but sounds plausable.

SpawnAgain

Jul 19, 2011
After much :banghead2 I have decided to go for 15" steel wheels with Goodyear Ultragrip 8. :funk:

However! I have a tyre pressure monitor built into the car, so I spoke to the dealer and asked how this works. He says it is programmed at the factory based on the size of your wheels and tyres.

My current tyres and wheels are 215 40 R17 The new 15" will be 185 60 R15, Which when rotated will give me the same speed as the 17s. Has anybody else got the monitor? If so have you had problems.

Thanks

J

Fishy

May 16, 2005
J, I think all you need to do is reset the type pressure system, much like you're meant to after resetting tyre pressures on your normal wheels. I swapped from 17's to 18's without any issues and from what the dealer has told you that would cause some issues.

Fish

SpawnAgain

Jul 19, 2011
Also you need to make sure that the 15'sw will clear the brakes.

Fish

Thanks

Not too sure how I could check if it clears the brakes until I get them :blink: The only thing I'm going by is the PCD info which is the same as the 17's 5X100 CB -57.1 Offset - 38.

J

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members