remedy to stop rubbing

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
Hi guys. Got my coilovers today. Cheap set off the bay. Im concerned that my tyres may actually rub the strut or springs. Im currenfly running 17" wolfrace katanas on a 205 40 17 tyre.

On my old gmax set up they used to rub the arches and suspension only lightly. And this was a 40mm lowering kit struts and springs which then started to leak.

Im faced with the issue...if i get spacers my tyres will rub my arches. If i dont they may rub my suspension. I dont want to get arches rolled because when looking im starting to get rust.

Im quite fond of the idea of 16" gloss black steels give it a rat look with a low pro tyre....any idea of best way or sourcing steels and an ideal tyre size...i want to save as much money as possible.

All types of solutions and feedback is welcome.

Thanks guys.

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
I think 17s have some rubbing issues on Ibizas. Personally, I think they're too big. I'd stick to 16s :). Plenty of nice 16s to choose from too! :). One or two are running 17s on here, and they're spaced and what not. I don't know that much about this kinda thing, so I'll let others shine a light on it, this is just my personal opinion about the sizes :)

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
Well im one of the few. I have insane rubbing issues. If i could only show you the damage to tyres its done and the suspension. Its rubs just going over slight i mean slight dips on the road.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
tbh its not that they are 17" at all, as you could have a smaller rolling radius by playing with the tyre sizes

standard wheels have 581.9mm diameter (195/45/16 tyres)
yours have 595.8mm, so 14mm more

if you drop to 195/40/17 tyres, would stop the rubbing as it will have 587.8mm diameter, also narrower tread, so should over come the rubbing.

Hope it helps :)

knackerdecobre

If it rubbed on the suspension before, you should be alright now, as the cheap coilovers are thinner than the spring seats (and springs) of the old set up.

Usually a 3mm spacer would sort it out though

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
tbh its not that they are 17" at all, as you could have a smaller rolling radius by playing with the tyre sizes

standard wheels have 581.9mm diameter (195/45/16 tyres)
yours have 595.8mm, so 14mm more

if you drop to 195/40/17 tyres, would stop the rubbing as it will have 587.8mm diameter, also narrower tread, so should over come the rubbing.

Hope it helps :)
i looked at those tyres and wow they dont come cheap suj, i was hoping youd comment as you
seem to be the man to ask about wheels. Well when i get time off of work ill fit the coilies and see if they rub, hopefully not. If i decide against tyres what 16" tyres would you recommenand a cheap place to source steelies?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
not that expensive tbh

http://camskill.co.uk/m54b0s264p0/C...es_-_17_inch_R17_inch_-_195_40_17_195_40_R_17
£72 for falkens....I paid more for 18's for my Bora (when it was on fat fives)
also I have to get some 245/45/16's for the 200sx...now thats expensive, like £150 each :( FML lol

16's will not make it easier to fit, just tyres are cheaper, so less hassle (well assuming they will be 195-205mm width)

You have 3 choices really
1) space them out (away from suspension, if after coilies are on and they still rub) then get arches rolled
2) get smaller tyres like 195/40/17's
3) get different sized wheels (like said above, maybe 16's or something)

knackerdecobre

I don't understand how you have got problems with 205 wide tyres? There should be enough room between the strut and arch :confused:

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
Loool tbh with you i dont know the offset of the wheels. Purchased them ages ago. Literally thought this says it will fit a ibiza and bought em. It might just be a case that they are rubbing because the shocks are leaking.

It may turn out to be a false alarm, as i wont know until i get these coilies on.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.