Fuel Filter Change 1.9 PD

diggerbycroft

Oct 13, 2011
Just changed my diesel filter on my 54 plate 1.9 ibiza, seemed a piece of cake but once i started the engine it cut out after about 15 seconds. It then wouldn't start again and the oil light came on with a beep untill i turned the ignition off.

I didn't prime the new filter as i've read several threads saying the pd engines self prime.

I fitted the old filter which was still full of diesel, and it started up straight away and its running fine now.

Will it do any harm to put a small amount of diesel in the new filter ? If so what could be the problem ?

Thanks

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Just changed my diesel filter on my 54 plate 1.9 ibiza, seemed a piece of cake but once i started the engine it cut out after about 15 seconds. It then wouldn't start again and the oil light came on with a beep untill i turned the ignition off.

I didn't prime the new filter as i've read several threads saying the pd engines self prime.

I fitted the old filter which was still full of diesel, and it started up straight away and its running fine now.

Will it do any harm to put a small amount of diesel in the new filter ? If so what could be the problem ?

Thanks

The problem is the empty filter, it will crank over till the filter fills up. I always fill the new one with diesel first.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
I didn't haven't pre filled in the past, but I would in future - having to crank the engine for long enough for the filter to refill wasn't nice, didn't feel right at all.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
I didn't haven't pre filled in the past, but I would in future - having to crank the engine for long enough for the filter to refill wasn't nice, didn't feel right at all.

I usually just switch the ignition on and off half a dozen times. Fills the filter and saves you cranking the engine

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
only done mine a couple of times and it only took a few seconds turning over to fill and fire up so wont be bothering filling mine up if it stays like that.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise