AMP power cable

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
If anybody is running an amp where did you run your powercable through the firewall ? I've tried threading mine through the grommet around the airfilter but there is already a wire running through and the diameter is to small.

It seems you can only get a cable through if you drill (dont want todo) or run a flimsy cable through (which i dont really fancy doing either)

Are there any other existing holes in the firewall i could utilise ? I've looked but couldnt see anything :/

DSP

Aug 25, 2010
Hull
Mine runs through the firewall next to where the rear washer pipe goes through (drilled and grometed) but i belive they is a rubber gromit in the top right hand side of the engine bay and you can put a wire through there and get to it by removing the passenger side panel in the dash and pull it through. I think they is a pic on here somewere if you do a search.

hope this helps!

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
Cheers DSP, i've tried searching but have not found any pictures and im struggling to find it myself.

This is where i tried earlier on but thes no way i can fit my power cable through as well.
dsc2195d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

31satara

May 29, 2010
I did this yesterday. Just popped out to take a couple of pics to put you in the right area. Not v good quality - it's dark...

imag0052gg.jpg

imag0051n.jpg

imag0048z.jpg

imag0047ma.jpg

31satara

May 29, 2010
As DSP said, if you open the door the dash side panel comes off easily. I removed both grommets, cut the oppropriate sized holes, refitted the second one and pushed a stiff metal rod through - this could then be seen from where the panel was removed. I threaded the wire and grommets in the appropriate places, pushed it through and was able to get hold of it inside the car.

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
Thanks for taking the time to take some pics, just had a look previous owner didnt put the gromet back in which is probably why i overlooked it.

dsc2197n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When you talk about the panel do you mean just left of the airvent here ?

dsc2198h.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

*Just changed cabin filter excuse dirty floor *

Last edited:

Si_TDi_FR

Oct 6, 2009
Northallerton
Yeah that pulls off to show you whats behind the dash. You should be able to find the grommit or a location from pulling the carpet back slightly

bubs800

Did the same as above and ran power (+ve), remote and signal wires down the left side of the carjust pushed them up under the plastic and through to the boot and connected the negative wire to the same bodywork terminal as the rear lights ( under the carpet in the boot ) I know people say the power and signal cables shouldn't run down the same side as it can cause interference, but I've never found this to be a problem if good quality insulated cables are used. Is it a sub you're connecting up ? I've said goodbye to bootspace for the moment, and currently have a 12" sub and amp velcro'd onto the bootmat :p At least until I get some free time to sort it :)

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Just be careful of using the hole in the passenger firewall, looks like i was a grommet missing so didnt know it was missing one.............water got in, sat in the floorwell and fried my airbag ECU!!

Just make sure the job is a waterproof one!

Jimski

bubs800

Just be careful of using the hole in the passenger firewall, looks like i was a grommet missing so didnt know it was missing one.............water got in, sat in the floorwell and fried my airbag ECU!!

Just make sure the job is a waterproof one!

Jimski

Damn, worried now. Would a dab of silicone sealant do the trick :p ?

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Yeh just pipe it round the area what it passes through. Water had tracked down my cable and pooled in the floorwell............probably a 'freak' event and wouldnt happen again, but it wasnt cheap to sort!

Jimski

knackerdecobre

Airbag ECU sits on top of the 'tunnel', so would have to have water running past it to fry

fr930

Got SMOKE...?
Jul 28, 2010
London
used the same hole as mentioned above - wire should come out once the carpet is lifted (was a tight squeeze to get my hand up in that gap!).
i now have two power cables running through the car (1 to amp the sub and another to amp components)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.