Mk3 Toledo Owner in waiting - The wait is over! :)

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
I've had my cordoba for nearly 4 years now and I've had almost no bother with it but the time has come for it to go and I've been umming and arring about a mk3 toldedo. I kinda like the odd way it looks, and The sport SE trim is a hell of a lot of car for the money and they look really nice with the 18s and the bodykit. I was just wondering what people's opinions are of them and if they have any advice on the common faults. Having done some research of my own I've found that:

2.0 TDI oil pump issues - Seems not to affect BKD engines, which is the engine the 2.0 sport is fitted with so I'm told.

Alloy wheel corrosion seems quite bad on the sport SE alloys.

Wheel alignment woes?

Cylinder heads cracking on the BKD engine - I missed this completely when I first searched for problems. It seems to affect early BKD engines more than the later ones. VAG seemed to be aware of the problem and revised the head to compensate, but all versions are susecptible.

What's the real world fuel economy? Book figure is 47mpgish combined. My cordoba is 54mpg combined and I get about that if I take it easy on the daily commute.

How easy are they to work on? Engine bay looks a bit cramped. The cordoba was pretty bad for that (battery out to change side light bulb!) Not looking at doing anything major (hopefully!) but some general info would be appreciated. :)

When is the cambelt interval? I've heard mixed opinions. It always used to be 60k but then it went up to 80K then back down to 60? :confused: The car I'm looking at is 4 years old and has 54K on it, so I guess it's due if I want to play it safe.

I realise it's not the busiest of sections but thought I'd start here first then move on to the altea section if things don't pan out. :weedy:

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
Collected it on Tuesday and I love it! :D It's great to be sitting in heated seats again. Just in time for the turn of the weather.

Only fault I can find is the heated rear screen only works on the top 3-4 bars so it's gotta go back to be fixed (replaced?) The dealer I got the car off was a bit vague, they'll be 'having a look at it' whatever that means next Saturday.

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
Nice work Gaz, had mine for just over 2 years now and love it. Got the 1.9 tdi with bodykit and 18's had it revo'd last year and it's never missed a beat (fingers crossed) recently had the cambelt done (45k) got told the interval was 40k some say 60k. Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. This is a quiet section on the forum, don't see that many Tolly's knocking around, enjoy it mate,

Tony

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
:wave:

The bodykit makes a massive difference to the look doesn't it? I was looking at stylances but couldn't deal with the smaller wheels or lack of bodykit, did you just order the parts for yours and get them sprayed up?

Had some fun and games with mine yesterday. You ever tried changing the front indicators? Wanted to put some blue osrams in that I've had for years in every car I've owned. Couldn't for the life of me get the old ones out to change them, then the originals wouldn't work! So had to take the bumper off to get the headlights out to get better access. All sorted now though. :)

Haven't taken any pics as it's really dirty (looks like black magic needs a clean every day!) So here's a couple of pics from the stealer:

seat-toledo-hatchback-diesel_3954939.jpg

seat-toledo-hatchback-diesel_4116559.jpg

seat-toledo-hatchback-diesel_4116562.jpg

They refurbed the wheels in anthracite as they were extremely badly corroded (top pic shows original colour). I think I would've preferred them in the original colour but they do suit the car like that. :)

Could do with a detachable towbar, the one on it is super ugly and destroys the look of the back end (some might say it improves it :lol:)

I enjoy the controversy this car seems to evoke in people. Some really like it, others can't stand it. One guy at work said; 'it looks alot better in the flesh than it does in the pics' Well, good! :)

Last edited:

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
Looks nice Gaz, got the same bodykit on mine, just different 18" SEAT wheels. Bodykit was fitted etc by dealer. Did the 2.0 DSG ones the year after too, a mate of mine has one exactly the same as yours. He had issues with those wheels, had them replaced twice due to corrosion. Think it must have been that model of wheel. No issues with mine so far (fingers crossed)??

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
Should the parcel shelf have rubber bushes on the hinge points? Cos it doesn't at the moment and neither does the umbrella thing. if the back of the car is pointing down hill when I open the boot the parcel shelf and umbrella tray thing fall off and wont stay in the right place.

I'm also a bit lost on the rear seats as I can't seem to find the lever than makes them fold? Found the slider level alright but no obvious fold button? :confused:

EDIT - figured it out at lunch it was the fabric looped things! How strange! Shame the false floor is missing as the seats don't now fold to make a flat load area. :blink:

Last edited:

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
Should the parcel shelf have rubber bushes on the hinge points? Cos it doesn't at the moment and neither does the umbrella thing. if the back of the car is pointing down hill when I open the boot the parcel shelf and umbrella tray thing fall off and wont stay in the right place.

I'm also a bit lost on the rear seats as I can't seem to find the lever than makes them fold? Found the slider level alright but no obvious fold button? :confused:

EDIT - figured it out at lunch it was the fabric looped things! How strange! Shame the false floor is missing as the seats don't now fold to make a flat load area. :blink:

Yeh mine has rubber bushes where the shelf clicks into the sides and my parcel shelf doesn't move around really. Thought the loops were weird too. It's a real shame that the seats don't fold flat would make for better loading etc and would have helped me out so many times already!

Sir Monkfish

Look who's Torqueing
Apr 8, 2011
Sevenoaks, Kent
Mine has the rubber grommets all intact, but the little umbrella shelf squeaks sometimes when driving along - I'd be tempted to remove that.

I'm in the same situation as you with the tow bar, mine is fixed and has started to rust a bit, looks awful :(

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
I've also developed the opinion that it's not very fast, but I can't tell if it's just because the gears are too short and I'm constantly going beyond the torque band +the size/weight of the thing or whether there's actually something wrong with it. Perhaps I was naiive to think an extra 10bhp and 10Nm of torque would feel 'similar' to my PD130 cordoba even though it's much bigger. It seems about as fast as my old PD100 fabia. It definitely doesn't kick as hard as the PD130.

I may be 'forced' to get it remapped. :D

Last edited:

Sir Monkfish

Look who's Torqueing
Apr 8, 2011
Sevenoaks, Kent
As far as I could tell, the 2.0 doesn't kick like the 1.9, but is smoother and a little more refined. I was quite pleased with the performance when I got mine... Still got it revo'd though :D

Much stronger now, and since getting it done have definitely seen a small mpg improvement.

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
last two fill ups (brim to brim) Its done 49mpg (trip to london) and 45mpg (day to day commuting) respectively. What's yours like on the go-go juice?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.