The FR is going....

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
I can remember you asking a while back, whether you should get the PD170 alot of people said NOOO, but you must have gone with the majority (if you are the same person im thinking of). Trust me get the cupra or a petrol FR (Ive got the DSG FR and I love it) I had the PD170 after owning the mk1 PD150(which is loved).

But the PD170 arg it makes me mad thinking about it, all the DPF issues etc. If I were you I would swap it for a cupra/FRpetrol

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
I can remember you asking a while back, whether you should get the PD170 alot of people said NOOO, but you must have gone with the majority (if you are the same person im thinking of). Trust me get the cupra or a petrol FR (Ive got the DSG FR and I love it) I had the PD170 after owning the mk1 PD150(which is loved).

But the PD170 arg it makes me mad thinking about it, all the DPF issues etc. If I were you I would swap it for a cupra/FRpetrol

No i bought my car before I even joined the forum, so I didn't go with the majority ;)

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Buzz will be 'crushed' if you leave lol.

hahaha my arch nemesis will hunt me down!!!

Depends on your budget but you can pick up 07 models for 15-16K. As far as I know these are the models with the 265bhp engine. They look like this one:-

www.pistonheads.com/sales/3079086.htm

I saw a few on Auto trader before aswell mate, cheers for the links!

It depends, I could wait a bit longer and get a newer model...but I don't want this car for much longer!

If you want two cars then go for something totally impractical and with 2 seats and then pick up a cheap estate ...

Here's my recent acquisition ...

DSCF1276.jpg

DSCF1280.jpg

DSCF1279.jpg

Taxed and MOT'd £410 :) I intend to do more biking next year so that towbar will come in handy. Buy a nice Boxster S with the remaining cash :)

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
If you want two cars then go for something totally impractical and with 2 seats and then pick up a cheap estate ...

Here's my recent acquisition ...

DSCF1276.jpg

DSCF1280.jpg

DSCF1279.jpg

Taxed and MOT'd £410 :) I intend to do more biking next year so that towbar will come in handy. Buy a nice Boxster S with the remaining cash :)

That's what I'm talking about!!!!

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
I saw a few on Auto trader before aswell mate, cheers for the links!

It depends, I could wait a bit longer and get a newer model...but I don't want this car for much longer!

Think you're going to be spoilt for choice if you go up around the 20K bracket. Allsorts of stuff becomes available to you.

I know how you feel once you've had enough of a car and want to get shot of it. Been in that position before.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
whoa whoa whoa, no you want a white vrs or exeo, put some big ass roof racks on it and you can be a copper to every idiot (moi) with tinted rear windows who cant really tell if you are a copper but doesnt wanna take the chance :D

SuperGreg

About 18k would buy you a old RS6 Avant with the 414bhp 4.2 Twin turbo V8. granted probably have a few miles on it, but super sleeper styling and enough torque to warp your face and enough stopping power to mince your dog! (if you had one and a dog guard in the back)

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
whoa whoa whoa, no you want a white vrs or exeo, put some big ass roof racks on it and you can be a copper to every idiot (moi) with tinted rear windows who cant really tell if you are a copper but doesnt wanna take the chance :D

Good thinking mate ;)

I was driving behind another leon today and thought.......I really love the look of the car. I'm seriously tempted to get a FL cupra....

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
One advantage of going for a FL Cupra is you should get a good trade-in deal on your FR 170. Certainly my experience....I traded a FR TDI (with all the usual DPF problems) for a 09 Cupra which has been spot-on with no issues apart from routine servicing and a couple of mods.

So, you reckon a SEAT dealer is more likely to give me a better trade in??

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham

I saw 2 unmarked police cars today in London one was a black 58 plate Avensis the other a black 56 plate A3 what chance of spotting them before they nick you

PS they had blues and twos on there bye no longer in stealth mode

Last edited:
So, you reckon a SEAT dealer is more likely to give me a better trade in??

What matters is the 'cost to change'. If you're going for a higher value car like an S3 you might get a better offer on your FR but you've got to find more money to bridge the difference. Normally I would try and sell a car privately and waive the cash under the dealer's nose but in the present climate even diesels are hard to sell. It doesn't have to be a SEAT dealer but any dealer who has a Cupra with the right spec/age/mileage/price for sale and is prepared to make a decent offer on your FR. Its a buyer's market and dealers will want to keep turning their stock over so a good deal should be possible.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Mr BS the VRs does indeed have the newer EA888 engine from the FL FR but with 200ps instead of 211ps strangely and look mint in white.

Other cars worth a punt are:

Audi S4 Avant 3.0 V6
SEAT Exeo TSi 211 Avant (has Audi valve lift version with 350Nm torque)
BMW E92 325i M Sport Estate
Volvo V70 D5
New Astra Sports Tourer SRi 2L CDTi 165
BMW M5 Estate early ones go for 20-25K

Wait for the Focus ST Estate a bit of a munter and looks like Buzz has done the styling but rapid and great handling.

Hugo Nebula

Dec 7, 2007
Manchester

That, and have you & your mate wear hi-vis jackets to complete the illusion... The outside lane will just open up for you!