Fastest Mk2's?

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
My 60ft time was 2.36 and did a 12.9 the weather wasnt the best but theres room for improvment for sure. I think a 12.7 should be fairly easy to come by with a good start but we'll see its the start of winter over here now so your time is safe for now :D

raisin

Aug 3, 2009
South Africa
My 60ft time was 2.36 and did a 12.9 the weather wasnt the best but theres room for improvment for sure. I think a 12.7 should be fairly easy to come by with a good start but we'll see its the start of winter over here now so your time is safe for now :D

okie..so with better traction off the line you should be able to get that 60ft down considerably, with the consequent reduction on the total time.

Wouldnt you run better times in Winter due to the lower temps ? I've run my best times in mid winter, once the track warms up in the afternoon (not sure if that happens in the uk in winter).

Our summer's are a bit harsh with extreme humidity, and the car heatsoaks very very quickly. And now its the start of summer here :(

Al

Aug 29, 2005
The 386bhp figure is calculated. I remember speaking to Ryan when it was done, and the wheel figure was the same as mine and other S2+ Cupras and that is the figure that counts.

Also echo the 12.1. No way that car does 12.1, unless it is running a big turbo and very little weight.

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
The 386bhp figure is calculated. I remember speaking to Ryan when it was done, and the wheel figure was the same as mine and other S2+ Cupras and that is the figure that counts.

Also echo the 12.1. No way that car does 12.1, unless it is running a big turbo and very little weight.

I thought it sounded too high. I have seen quite few stg 2+ cars on the dyno but never seen figures that high

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
I've seen Ryan's car on 3 different RR's and it is very impressive and one of the strongest Cupra's i've come across. Never seen it make 386bhp on DD rollers though,only Motorscope and everyone knows what strange results they can give..
Was the highest of the Stage 2+ cars on the day and nobody is knocking the car, just the fact that it hasn't made those figures on a reputable set of rollers..

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Yeah, but my point is Ben that the wheel hp figure was no higher than my old car when it was done on the same day (different r/r's but both were done on an identical type r/r) and as I recall, if there was a difference on the r/r figures between the cars (at the wheels) it was like 1bhp different.

Therefore it was one of the highest S2+ cars in its day, but in fairness, back then, there werent many S2+ cars and most put out similar figures from what I remember. I remember RobH's car was down on Ryan's that day but I think he had an issue with his on the day and clearly Robs car is no slouch with his 1/4 mile time and ET.

As I remember, Ryan also saw 420bhp on a r/r with that car - not all r/r's tell the truth!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Nobody is trying to dig at anything. The point is that if you look at where the fly hp is coming from, you will see that it is not an actual figure. What is real is the wheel hp figure, and that particular car, like other S2+ Leon's makes (or made) around 340bhp at the wheels. If that is the case, then there is a transmission problem on the car which means it is losing 20bhp more than other identical cars through the gearbox and drive train.

For example, I could claim 1000bhp on my car, but if the wheel hp is only really 200bhp, its really not accurate, or I have one hell of a transmission loss :lol:. R/R figures are only partially representative of performance anyway - the r/r plot and area under the curves on the plot are much more important.

Last edited:

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
Yeah, Motorscopes :lol: Could be right though :D:rofl:

I'm only going off what i've seen on RR days i've been to when running against other S2+ Ko4's on the day.. Rich's (Cupra R) has been up against Ryan's on a few different RR days and been pipped each time and Rich's is a very strong car.
Compared to your old car, I couldn't say mate, as i've never seen it run in the flesh. I'm just going off what i've seen personally..
Whatever the case, it's going to be a minimal difference and not really noticeable on the road..

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Thanks Al

Did you run your time on street tyres or some other brand of semis other than the 888's. Definitely need some good sticky rubber to get tghe 60 foot times. My best 60 foot was about 2.07. How do yours compare ? I ran with Hoosier semi's.

I also find that I'm almost hitting the limiter on 4th just before the finish line, so its a toss up whether to change to 5th or keep it in 4th. I've found it better to finish in 4th than lose time changing to 5th. Does this also happen to you?

Missed this.

The time I got was in my old car. I used brand new tyres when I got the 12.951 - semi slick tyres but as they were new, they hadn't given a surface to beat 2.25-2.3 on the day as memory serves. 2.07 is fantastic :clap:. Well done :thumbup: I know Owen did 2.10 or 2.15 with R1R's and I know low 2.1's are doable with 888's.

The detail on topping out 4th is also something I found. Changing to 5th slows you down with the extra change, and even changing from 3rd to 5th negates time due to not getting the benefit of 4th.

What were your terminal speeds?

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
Missed this.

The time I got was in my old car. I used brand new tyres when I got the 12.951 - semi slick tyres but as they were new, they hadn't given a surface to beat 2.25-2.3 on the day as memory serves. 2.07 is fantastic :clap:. Well done :thumbup: I know Owen did 2.10 or 2.15 with R1R's and I know low 2.1's are doable with 888's.

Thought you said the surface was crap at Crail? :confused: :rofl:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Thought you said the surface was crap at Crail? :confused: :rofl:
It is. Owen virtually destroyed his tyres in a day that day to get traction from the line with wheelspin to heat them up and I am sure it was his only 12 second run of the day - a freak run :lol:

Aaroncupra

Last edited by a moderator:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.