My K04 hybrid powered MK2 Cupra Sport track slag (it's now left the building)

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
I don't think the mk2 was ever going to go anywhere, after almost 7 years i've grown a bit to attached to it, i'm happier it's not going to be toned down though which means i can leave it as impractical as ever.

Cage wise a certain rockingham cage came up for sale from another well know mk2 and i had first dibs on it, mines made from scaffold tube and although it's served me well for the 4 years it's been in there a proper and lighter cage has always been something i wanted.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
I'd love to go wide arch at some point, the front arches need replacing/repainting and the rears are starting to go but still salvagable at the moment, all comes down to the money tho, i'd rather spend what i've got on power/handling mods.

With that in mind i did aquire a set of kw variant 1's from Martin so these will be going on soon along with the new cage :)

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
I'm glad you've decided to keep both mate. Give me a shout if you need a hand fitting anything or running the cars around.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
Well another small update seeing as i've had a few days off work this week

A couple of weeks back i fitted the kw's and these have stiffend things up no end over the old fk set-up i was running.

With the suspension out the way the next job was roll cage removal, i started with removing the dash as i've got a new one to go in without the holes for the cage, once this was out the way i set to work with the grinder and a selection of cutting discs, after a few hours of work i ended up with this.

SDC16287.jpg

SDC16289.jpg

With the old cage out the way i set to fitting the new dash which is now in and managed to slot the new cage in so i could measure up and see if my original front mounting points were usuable, unfortunatly there all slightly out so it will mean cutting them out and knocking up new ones but that's not a major problem.

In the next few weeks i hope to get the cage welded and bolted in properly and then if i have the time try and paint the inside and tidy it up a bit.

I'm also going to try and weigh the old cage to get an idea of how much it did actually weigh, i do know the rear harness bar alone was pretty much as heavy as one of the A pillar bars on the new cage so would guess i'm going to have saved around 30kgs atleast by the time the new one is fitted.

Last edited:

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
It's going to be awesome one the cage is in! I think I might struggle to get in and out though.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
Sounds like you got loads done this week

I did indeed mate, just wheels and tyres to sort for snet aswell and i think it's pretty much done

It's going to be awesome one the cage is in! I think I might struggle to get in and out though.

You'll be alright mate, passanger seat is lower and further back than drivers so shouldn't be a prob, just means you'll struggle if you want to drive it again!!

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
Thought i'd update this thread again as my next stage of mods is now complete

The new mounting points are all welded in and the cage is bolted together and fitted, i've also finally bit the bullet and got some decent tyres :) the track wheels are now sporting a new set of toyo R888's which i'm hoping will finish the handling off nicely now.

Today i've adjusted the ride height as the toyo's are a 50 profile so were catching the rear arches ever so slightly under hard compressions, further road test has shown no scrubbing so hopefully all good on that side now.

In the future i'm going to get the wheels and cage redone in white and possibly even a complete repaint on the inside as it's getting rather tatty in there now.

Next on the list though is to finish of a few niggles ready for a track day at Snetterton next sunday, i'll update the thread with pics from the day which is bound to be as interesting as always.

SDC16330.jpg

SDC16332.jpg

SDC16333.jpg

SDC16334.jpg

SDC16336.jpg

SDC16337.jpg

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
how come you monted the front of the roll cage so far back in the car?
I thought the roll cage is supposex to extend in to the front bulkhead and then down to provide more frontal protection, especially around the pedal box.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
All good buddy this time next week will be in the pub

You will be, we'll still be on the motorway, hopefully make it in time for a drink tho

how come you monted the front of the roll cage so far back in the car?
I thought the roll cage is supposex to extend in to the front bulkhead and then down to provide more frontal protection, especially around the pedal box.

That's the way this cage was designed, there are other versions available (such as the one in Bill's race car) which go through to the front turrets and have extra bracing and cross bars.
This one should hopefully be more than enough for a few track days a year.

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Still no interest i see. Maybe you should get some fatter wheels and arches and drop it till the subframes on the floor, then maybe it'll get the recognition it deserves!

Cheer for today, best picture from a bad bunch of mine:

DSC_0667-1.jpg

welly

Feb 20, 2009
Sussex/London
cracking car mate, the picture with no dashboard in makes me feel sick with fear thinking about trying to conquer that. Admire people so much that crack on and build a car like this!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise