Winter tyres

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Scotty, if you are prepared to travel a little give RSR tyres a call. They had quadraxers on the shelf when I got mine on the post above yours. Based in Bromley.

Fish

PS. I have nothing to do with that company, they are just up the road.

scottym

Diesel Powered
Sep 19, 2007
Ashford, KENT
My whole idea was to get a complete separate set of wheels, to keep my summer tyres separate and maybe even get them refurbed.

I was after 205x55x16 steel wheels and tyres.

I may just settle for 225x45x17 for my standard starfish wheels now, any idea on what they will be fitted?

Scott

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
£420 here delivered.
http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/goodyear-ultra-grip-8-205-55-r16-91-h

You'll need to source stellies and fitting yourself. (although they do sell steel wheels, not sure if they'll have what you need)

Local garage fitted my winters to an old set of alloys for £12.50 a tyre. so recon you'll still be around the £620 cost from before.

420 tyres
160 for the steel wheels (assumed £40 per corner - maybe less!)
50 fitting
Total - £630

Might have even saved you a bit of money :)

Last edited:

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Noticed the local SEAT dealer doing a set of new 16" steelies with 205/55/16 winter tyres for £600 if that helps? Might have a similar deal down your neck of the woods :)

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
I was in my dealers the other,weekend and they said they have got a new deal. For about 1500 quid they could supply me with new alloys with winter rubber on. When it gets,cold take it,into them and they will fit them. When it warms up they will switch them back across as many times as you like for the price above. They will store the other wheels as well whilst not on the car. Too much money to be forking out though is the only problem.

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Check the bay of E for some cheep alloys and go from there. I got my set from here when the sales section was open. :(

Fish

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
was keeping an eye on the weather forecast......temp didn't seem to want to drop.....only fitted mine last Friday! :blink:

only had 3 frosty mornings here so far!!! bit of a difference from last year :lol:....
think there had been snow on the ground for 3 or 4 weeks by this time last year!!

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I'm running same pressures as summers.

I think there is a belief that you should run a few psi lower however (iirc) I think it was Lee who got in touch with a major tyre manufacturer or pulled it off their website advising to leave pressures as per normal (may be even Camskill).

Confirm either way please Lee :think:

davidhunter

Apr 27, 2004
you must live in the warm English climate then !! I live just outside Glasgow and its cold again today around 3 deg looks like snow could be here within the next 48 hours or less. That would make a change from the last 8 months of rain which would be a nice change.

I definitely notice a difference running winter tyres at this time of year and I was very sceptical before I bought them last year. Come on the snow have only had snow for 5 days so far this year really want to see what they can do.

Happy new year all.

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Well us southerners are having barmy warm weather for the time of year. Almost tempted to put my normal wheels back on and swap if it ever gets cold.

Fish

davidhunter

Apr 27, 2004
now your rubbing it in. But don't break out the bermuda shorts just yet, first snow flakes are already falling here but not lying as yet. Winter could well be on our doorstep.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.