Hybrid TDI PD150

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
So then, I've just gone and bought a spare PD150 turbo which I want to send off ASAP to get the hybrid treatment, only problem is I'm not sure of who to send it to, so who's running what and where did you have it done and any issues you have experienced.

Thanks guys any advice is greatly appreciated.

jamie8954

Diesel FTMFW
Jun 29, 2008
UK
i got mine from AET turbos wakefield , they advised me they dont like hybridding your old 1 now but take yours in as an exchange and knock you abit of money off

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
thanks for that, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking and did you need to upgrade any of your pipe work?

thanks

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
thanks for that, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking and did you need to upgrade any of your pipe work?

thanks

If you fit a hybrid, at some point you'll need to upgrade all of the intercoler pipework. It might be fine for 1mile or 10000miles but the standard pipes always let go eventually

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
just a little update, been in touch with a few companies,

turbo technics, cheapest by far at £500 but their unit is only good for 210bhp? why bother:shrug:
cr turbo's, going to be around £700 maybe a tad more but very nice and informative
turbo dynamics, bit blunt to be honest and over a grand:-o

MrIlluminati

I would say forget the hybrid, the gains just dont seem worth it over standard turbo .... and losing low down torque to gain high RPM power is sort of missing the point of TDi engine characteristics.

If you want a proper turbo that wont ruin driveability then look into the Audi tdi turbos from the v6 tdi's.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
I would say forget the hybrid, the gains just dont seem worth it over standard turbo .... and losing low down torque to gain high RPM power is sort of missing the point of TDi engine characteristics.

If you want a proper turbo that wont ruin driveability then look into the Audi tdi turbos from the v6 tdi's.

Have you ran a hybrid?

a 20-30hp increase isnt worth £600?

And you hardly lose low down torque.

To use a bigger turbo, you are looking at £2k minimum. Yes it suitable for more power, but then you need more uprating, and more cost.

Having run both, there are very few times I would recomend the large turbo over a hybrid

MrIlluminati

No i han'nt run a hybrid, i did the sensible thing and run someone elses PD150 that runs a hybrid .... i much prefare my standard turbo setup running 200 bhp 320 lb/ft than my mates CR turbo hybrid running 220 bhp (torque unknown but i doubt its high).

If i wanted an engine that needed revving like my mates ..... i would of bought a 1.8 T petrol .... thats what he has to drive it like since fitting the hybrid.

£600 for 20-30bhp increase? TBH for a start £600 is a cheap hybrid, then there is the fitting (free?) and remap (or do hybrids add 20-30bhp without even needing a remap?).

Vroomtshh which 1 of the Audi v6 tdi turbos did you use?

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Hos torque will be higher than yours. It may have moved up the rev range a little but its still there.

His engine will rev higher, but nowhere to the extent of a petrol. If it does, I'd check the map.

I didn't include the cost of fitting or mapping in either option. As they are needed for both.

I run a GT2256vk thats been hybridised. Mine actually came of an alfa romeo, not an Audi. The Audi uses the 2260 so theres not a big difference.

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
No i han'nt run a hybrid, i did the sensible thing and run someone elses PD150 that runs a hybrid .... i much prefare my standard turbo setup running 200 bhp 320 lb/ft than my mates CR turbo hybrid running 220 bhp (torque unknown but i doubt its high).

If i wanted an engine that needed revving like my mates ..... i would of bought a 1.8 T petrol .... thats what he has to drive it like since fitting the hybrid.

£600 for 20-30bhp increase? TBH for a start £600 is a cheap hybrid, then there is the fitting (free?) and remap (or do hybrids add 20-30bhp without even needing a remap?).

Vroomtshh which 1 of the Audi v6 tdi turbos did you use?

a standard 150/160 turbo will never make a real 200bhp. However alot of dyno's will claim that. Plus theres no way 320lbft can be had from a standard unit. Some hybrids only get that torque level.

Mapping is very important. You can have the best turbo in the world, but if its mapped incorrectly then its becomes worthless.

My old leon had 236bhp /385lbft. The power might be on the happy dyno side, however on several dynos I never had less then 365lbft. It would and did destroy many a mapped tdi. A hybrid vs mapped tdi is like night/day. You simply can't look at peak figures either.

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
when my PD160 was running a CR hybrid turbo drivability was far from ruined and mid-range was massively stronger compared to when it was mapped. I'm really not convinced a hybrid isn't quicker than mapped in pretty much every way :confused:

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
Thanks for all the replies guys, in response to an earlier post as to why I hadn't/haven't changed the turbo to intercooler piping is because I am waiting to see how the "revised" SFS hosing measures up, I was assured that they had ironed out the glitches and have replaced all of their straight silicone hosing with aluminum piping, egr to ic now comes in 9 parts so I was told...

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
I had the old sfs and the new kit with metal. Tbh it wasnt much better. The stock pipes are fine as long as the joints are ok. Best bet is custom. As hybrid tdi's boost alot more than most petrols the silicon can't cope. You could see my sfs pipes expanding under part throttle!!

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
a standard 150/160 turbo will never make a real 200bhp. However alot of dyno's will claim that. Plus theres no way 320lbft can be had from a standard unit. Some hybrids only get that torque level.

Mapping is very important. You can have the best turbo in the world, but if its mapped incorrectly then its becomes worthless.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I just wanted to make it clear that this statement is wrong "200bhp not possible from GT1749VB/PD150 turbo". I know people running this power using this turbo and R520 injector nozzles + 11mm injector pump and a few other little bits and pieces like a PD150 TIP and uprated SMIC.

You hit the nail on the head about mapping, so you sort of contradicted your 1st statement, because it is possible with a few simple mods and a good map/tune.

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
What the dyno says and what the car makes in the real world. Are two very different things. Christ I've seen 150 mapped doing around the 200 mark with no other real mods on a dyno.

You need a hybrid to cleanly break the 200 mark. So no, I've not contradicted myself. You've just misunderstood me I guess.

For every one person claiming high power on the tdi club, there's someone disprooving it and the other way round I'd admit. I'm guessing that's we're you've got it from? Topics on 10mm 11mm 12m pumps etc. Uprated eBay smic are a waste of time too. Considering the pd 150 has a fmic.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise