Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Sorry to be a kill joy and some people will think I'm stupid for saying this.....But........
Is that turbo not too big?
Are you really going to get everything out of this turbo and make the extreme hassle of fitting it worth it?
I'm from a different school where not always bigger is better and I know you have 4WD but feck me min that thing is MASSIVE!!!

Good luck with this, I feel you'll be selling this one soon ;)

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
DSC00960.jpg

That is sexual! Looking forward to the progress on this project. Awesome!

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Sorry to be a kill joy and some people will think I'm stupid for saying this.....But........
Is that turbo not too big?
Are you really going to get everything out of this turbo and make the extreme hassle of fitting it worth it?
I'm from a different school where not always bigger is better and I know you have 4WD but feck me min that thing is MASSIVE!!!

Good luck with this, I feel you'll be selling this one soon ;)

To be honest Willie your right it is to big, but i had been waiting for ages for the turbo i wanted and there was no eta on it so when i was offered this one i just took it without really thinking into the implications, i.e extra fueling, ecu's etc....

In terms of hassle for fitting i was already buildlng the manifold so making it a side mount is only a bit more difficult, i will have to move some wires and do some heat protection but its not too hard.

And as for using the turbo to it's full potential it may take a while due to funds and learning but im sure i'll get there.
Depending on how the turbo spools i may end up building a rev happy 2008cc with JE race pistons / solid lifters etc but i will give the 2.1 a spin first see how i get on.

i think we need a k04 side by side shot, just for the lol factor if anything lol

Don't have one mate, did have a k03s but gave it to a mate so he can have it hybrid'd.

That is sexual! Looking forward to the progress on this project. Awesome!

Cheers mate, i certainly appreciate it from a manufacturing point of view :D

Last edited:
May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
I was nearly gonna call round today. Wish I had.

If the 2.1 doesnt wanna play you could always donate it to me!!

Hahaha I was gonna say the same! (ps get on vagcars.co.uk northeast vag forum, sorry Graham :p)

Don't think the turbo is too big either, you wanted power, that turbo will get you power! Been out in an s3 with 600hp and that was fully spooled abit later than the graph of this turbo on the evo and in real life, yes there's lag, but it really doesnt take long to get to 5k rpm and when you are there you are there through every gear in a whirlwind time travelling machine! Will be great Graham, think you will scare yourself though :D

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I was nearly gonna call round today. Wish I had.

If the 2.1 doesnt wanna play you could always donate it to me!!

Get yourself round Jim, come and play with my turbo :D

I'm popping round me mar's this morning, i'll be back just after dinner time. Just send me a text if you want bud.

sexy massive turbo

Massive, i might be able to join your car club with a crazy turbo like this :D

Hahaha I was gonna say the same! (ps get on vagcars.co.uk northeast vag forum, sorry Graham :p)

Don't think the turbo is too big either, you wanted power, that turbo will get you power! Been out in an s3 with 600hp and that was fully spooled abit later than the graph of this turbo on the evo and in real life, yes there's lag, but it really doesnt take long to get to 5k rpm and when you are there you are there through every gear in a whirlwind time travelling machine! Will be great Graham, think you will scare yourself though :D

It's ok Scott, continue plugging Vagcars, good bunch of lads on there...
Like you say lags only a problem in first gear, it's not going to be a daily driver so i'm not too bothered if its a bit "focused"..... and scare myself i did that when i unpacked the turbo :cartman:

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
So yesterday i spent all day sorting out the garage and shed, i dug out all the front car parts i'm gonna need shortly to contine rebuilding.

I pushed the car out of the garage and noticed that the engine and gearbox looks like its sitting higher up on the engine side.
I put a long spirit level on the bulkhead and the car is sitting level, putting it on a level part of the rocker cover it's definitely out - guestimate by approx 10mm.
I have checked the new engine mount dimensionally and it appears to be the same as the OEM one although it's quite hard to say as i'm sure the oem ones will have sagged.

I checked the gearbox mount inserts when i was installing them and they were identical to the oem ones, just rock hard :D

I have had a look at the original pictures of the car i took and it looks like it was like it before :confused:

Anyway here is a shot of it -

DSC00964.jpg

DSC00965.jpg

So does anybody know if these engines normally sit on the p*ss ??? and of course why ?

So later i'm gonna take some measurments from the gearbox output flanges down to the ground and to something comparable, maybe the lower subframe...
If it's out it's an easy fix i will just make some spacer plates up to go under the gearbox mount, but i would love to know why ? maybe the 4wd gearbox is slightly different.....

Forgot to say i took out the A/C pipes yesterday.....winning !!! Dan will be pleased.

Chester

MPG racer
Mar 25, 2002
Peterborough
Graham, just read this from start to finish. I haven't read this kind of build thread in a long time. The progress is fantastic so far. I wonder which will come first though: the conclusion of this project, or the new born?!

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I'm pretty sure they all sit on the wonk

Thanks for the info, just had a look on vwvortex at a big turbo engine thread thats got loadsa underbonnet pic in... apparently all the mk4 based cars seem to lie at a slight angle.

Graham, just read this from start to finish. I haven't read this kind of build thread in a long time. The progress is fantastic so far. I wonder which will come first though: the conclusion of this project, or the new born?!

Cheers Chester, knowing myself how i work i'm guessing the baby :D

I know that as the date (mid April) gets closer, my ability to work in the garage all day is gonna get reduced, the money will get tight aswell. but it will be worth it :D

I know Ibiza Mk4 TDIs often sit on a slope... knowing that I wouldn't be surprised if other SEAT cars do too :happy:

Cheers for the info mate.

Right i'm off into the garage to play !!

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Small update-

I was a bit nervous of crap getting into the engine whilst i was leaning over the engine so i decided to refit the inlet manifold & throttle body.

After that i decided to start moving things out of the way to aid marking up for the turbo & manifold. So i removed the fuse box that sits above the ABS pump and part of the wiring loom.

I then reconnected the gearlinkage mounting points and also found that the 6 speed quattro box has round ball type connectors on the shifting cable ends and the ones in the leon are just round pins with clips on the end.
I will just take the shifter connections off and cut the balls off and drill and tap it the levers and make a quick shifter while im on.

I have removed the coolant flange from the side of the head to make life a bit easier, i may have to make a stainless one and move the outlets around a bit.

So i have the turbo sitting about where i want it, just got it suspended on cable ties for now, gonna fab up a nice sturdy bracket to come of the gearbox mounts and fasten on the turbo. The centre section of the turbo has holes all the way round for clocking the housings / wastegate bracket so i will use them for the bracket.

Got it sitting nearly level -

DSC00967.jpg

Front View -
DSC00969.jpg

DSC00971.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

So i have been thinking about the manifold design, i'm thinking it would be best to join the sets of two cylinders together behind the engine and then bring the two pipes to supply the flange.

Very basic design to show layout -
Manifolddesign.jpg

I ordered a load of 1.5" SCH10 316 stainless butt welds ages ago for the manifold build, Im not too sure whether to step the size upto to 2" where the two cylinders join into one but i would have to reduce it to create a collector on the flange as 2" will be far too big.

The trick is to keep the pipe size small enough to keep the exhaust gases moving quickly but not that small enough that they choke the engine at high revs.

Looks like Forcefed engineering just use 1.5" and that is kicking out over 800hp -
forcefed5.jpg

The oil drain pipe is also gonna be hard to make, got to keep it running down hill and as short as possible, the transfer box seems to be in the way but i'm sure i'll get something made.

So long for know and thanks for reading.

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Crazy project! I'd love to be able to do something like this in the future. Good luck with the rest of it :)

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
You lucky, lucky bas**rd you..........and a mental nutter :D, this will be some serious motor when finishe....if you will ever finish it :lol:
Keep up the well above good work

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Graham - just a thought with the bracing be careful not to make it too strong as heat expansion will be taking place, quite a bit by the looks of things with the amount of metal you're using. I remember Hooch had a similar problem with his Ibiza, he has a brace made up which secured it to the cam cover and because the manifold was trying to expand and the brace wouldn't let it, it ended up cracking.

I'm sure you'll find a way of doing it though :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.