Short shift on a tdi.......DONE!

mikemk4gti

Nov 12, 2010
North Wales
I'm going to mod my standard gear selector off the top of my gearbox so I get a shorter throw forward to back. Ive removed the part ready, just wondering how far I should move the pin across, Ive read that someone did theres 22mm from the original? there doesnt seem to be much about the tdi only the 1.8T's.
Anyone done this?

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
check out the dieselgeek short shifter - i know its not what you want but what an awe inspiring piece of kit it is.

a truly effective piece of equipment

cupra-rich

Dec 28, 2008
coventry
not sure on the how far to move the pin, as i have an adjustable one from compbrake, but this fits 1.8ts & 1.9tdi. so if 22mm is ok for the 1.8t is should be ok for the tdi's.

mikemk4gti

Nov 12, 2010
North Wales
Started off by giving it a clean in our industrial parts cleaner
ffcd7036.jpg

Drill out then used a tap to cut an 8mm thread in it, I only moved it 18mm across
b5a627f6.jpg

I also cut a thread into the pin, then fitted it in with thread lock on, gave it a clean then a quick coat of galvanise paint
8ca27664.jpg

Just been out and fitted it now, glad I didn't go any more than 18mm as its just right now.
I might do the side movement too as it looks easy to do, but I'll see how I get on with it for now.

mikemk4gti

Nov 12, 2010
North Wales
I think it would be the same, most of them look similar on the bag range.
Gdjohny - i read someone else's who moved it 22mm and said it was great, so depends how short you want it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members