Lsd.

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I'm having a Quaife ATB LSD fitted and I wonder what to expect from it. How do they behave, do you have to change your driving style, etc...
I can wait to drive it and was wonder what any of you with a LSD fitted experiences where.

Last edited:

prawn

Jan 29, 2008
Basingstole
The easiest way to explain it, is that you won't notice it's there.

You'll simply notice that everything else you drive from now onwards, has an epic lack of grip!

Unlike more savage types of diff, the quaife is fairly soft in it's operation, you won't get the inside front wheel spinning up when you plant it off a roundabout any more

Flooring it nice and early on the exit will now pull you into the bend rather than spin the wheels and understeer you away from the apex, it's truly awesome.

be VERY careful in the wet though, you'll have more grip in a straight line, and will still be quicker point to point, but when the wheels DO spin, it'll be both of them, so you'll have absolutely NO steering control at all.

First time I drove mine in the wet and the diff locked on a roundabout under power, I **** myself as the car just went straight on!

Once you're straight and true though you can pin it and you won't just sit there spinning.

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Cheers guys I really cant wait to get it fitted. I think it's one thing the LCR is cring out for from standard. There's no point in having power and not being able to use it.

Prawn thanks for the heads up. I'll find a wet round about and give it a go as soon as I can so it doesn't catch me out in the future. How's that hybrid turbo coming along?

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Just got a phone call from Brian at Jabbasport my gear box is back together and it's now got the Quaife ATB diff fitted! Picking it up Monday this is going to be a long weekend.

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
be VERY careful in the wet though, you'll have more grip in a straight line, and will still be quicker point to point, but when the wheels DO spin, it'll be both of them, so you'll have absolutely NO steering control at all.

First time I drove mine in the wet and the diff locked on a roundabout under power, I **** myself as the car just went straight on!

Once you're straight and true though you can pin it and you won't just sit there spinning.

That made me laugh! Love to have seen you're face mate! :rofl:
Ak

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
How much did you pay if you don't mind my asking?

Diff £585
Bolt kit £94
Both plus VAT
As for labour I don't know as the gearbox was out to be repaired also had clutch, flywheel replaced. On top of that the master cylinder failed while they where bleeding the system! It's a big bill considering the gear box problem was the selection fork that needed riveting back on!
Can't wait for that drive home!:funk:

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
a mate of mine who had a gtx28 on his LCR had one fitted and the difference was fantastic, it just grips now and is more impressive than the power he has if i'm honest. When he was stage 2 before it felt a little uncontrolled when giving it the berries, but no such feeling now it feels controlled and has phenominal grip.....well until his turbo went anyway

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
An LSD was always high up on my list of to do's. However like you said it's no cheap getting fitted for the sake of it. There's no way I could justify fitting one. But in my circumstances I just could not justifie having the gearbox put back onto the car with out the diff fitted!:D
I'll be looking for that Cossie and WRX on the way home from now on.

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
a mate of mine who had a gtx28 on his LCR had one fitted and the difference was fantastic, it just grips now and is more impressive than the power he has if i'm honest. When he was stage 2 before it felt a little uncontrolled when giving it the berries, but no such feeling now it feels controlled and has phenominal grip.....well until his turbo went anyway

Did it take him long to get used to it?
Thanks for the feed back if only I could pick my car up sooner!

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I saw your motor on the ramps there Wednesday as I was getting mine mapped.... With launch control and anti lag.... :) was coming on nicely.

Thanks for that I've not seen it for two weeks and I'm missing it.
Was it a stage I or II? how have you found the map? Isn't anti lag hard on turbos?
After I've sorted the breaks and fitted coilovers I'll be going to Jabba for the remap. I've found them great to deal with so far. Customer service is a strong point of there's and one I always look for.

youngyWHU

i only had a stage 1 because of funds atm. i was running 285bhp on a unichip map but wanted it off.... which is good as the last guy was clearing trying to send rods flying!!! i only had the car a week and knew it wasnt quite right but couldnt miss it at the price.
the guys at jabba have been ace and like you said, customer service is ace and good prices too. :clap:

the map itself is great, even stage 1!!! feels alot more torque than before and they set the boost at a lower level than the 2 bar it was at!! :blink:

i am not too fussed about pub bhp figures, just want it fast enough but reliable!! and it feels just that. im more about the handling of a car especially coming to fwd from my evo... its been emotional. :whistle:

i might be there monday myself yet to get my new actuator fitted as the previous one was a 1.4 bar spring when it should be 0.4 :-o

on another note.... good choice with the lsd. did you order it through jabba as i am thinking about this soon?

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members