Is this a K1 or FR?

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
Its possible I may look at a standard cupra, but then I'd be looking at the facelift with the nicer interior but I don't like the bumper so I'd want the kit on ASAP which puts it over my price range

jay87

May 4, 2007
I appreciate that advice Jay, thanks! I just feel it the S3 lacks that wow factor somehow. Having said that, I have not driven one yet. To be honest, the garage is the same village, so I still might have a go :) Its this one. http://hiltongarage.co.uk/Used-Car-...1807617.aspx?COGManufacturer=AUDI&COGModel=S3

To be honest, that is really stretching the top end of my budget too. The K1 I have found is priced at 13K. What are they both like straight line speed wise? Does the S3 suffer from massive transmision losses? I do plan on modding whatever I get. I may even eventually go up to stage 2+

I've had my LCR now for about 5 years. It's been a cracking car! I just fancy a change now.

Thanks

Ken

if you look hard enough you will get one for 13, my friend sold his 57 S3 with around 50k on it, good spec. heated full leather, auto lights wipers, auto dimming mirrors, rns-e sat nav, 2 keys full history through audi, that was for 12,500 6 months ago. If youve got the cash you will get a good deal, by the way im in the motor trade, so if you want any advise just PM me.

Straight line speed, the cupra is aggressive, and with the remap I couldn't always put the power down, the s3, never failed, power was always there, and moved a hell of a lot better, I wish i had it remapped when I had it. And handling round bends, the s3 speaks for it self.. I might just be biased, dont get me wrong, but over the two, S3 is the winner - also, interior wise, ive always found the S3 to be alot more well built, and more classy.

LCR good choice, ive got a 52 plate one at the moment, just had it remapped to 265, runs amazing, but again, the power doesn't go down properly

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
Your right about the interior of the S3, its loads better IMO too. I'm just not sure it would suit me. The other thing that puts me off a little, is I would of thought the parts would be quite a bit more to buy if anything goes wrong. I just think at the moment, it might be just out of reach for me, and I will be stretching myself just a bit too much money wise.

I'm test driving a Cupra in the morning which is more in budget. Had a look at it tonight and I quite like it :) I plan to keep it a couple of years and see what the new Leons like and I may change again then. I've just read the new Astra VXR is going to be 280BHP! It will be interesting to see what the new Cupra will get :)

I appreciate your offer of advice via pm too Jay :)

As always, thanks for the replies :)

if you look hard enough you will get one for 13, my friend sold his 57 S3 with around 50k on it, good spec. heated full leather, auto lights wipers, auto dimming mirrors, rns-e sat nav, 2 keys full history through audi, that was for 12,500 6 months ago. If youve got the cash you will get a good deal, by the way im in the motor trade, so if you want any advise just PM me.

Straight line speed, the cupra is aggressive, and with the remap I couldn't always put the power down, the s3, never failed, power was always there, and moved a hell of a lot better, I wish i had it remapped when I had it. And handling round bends, the s3 speaks for it self.. I might just be biased, dont get me wrong, but over the two, S3 is the winner - also, interior wise, ive always found the S3 to be alot more well built, and more classy.

LCR good choice, ive got a 52 plate one at the moment, just had it remapped to 265, runs amazing, but again, the power doesn't go down properly

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
Remap on the cupra will take it past the vxr, plus I thought the vxr brand was being dropped and going back to the gte? Could be wrong mind you

S3 interior is nicer but not nice enough for me, plus most are 3 door and the exterior just does not do it for me plus haldex makes running costs more not including the Audi badge of course

Top Dog

Aug 12, 2011
Wolverhampton
Was is the same dilema a few months back. But i chose a k1 over the s3 as for 13/14 k i got a much younger and less mileage car than if i chose the s3. If i had the money their would be not doubt i would of got a s3 at the same age and mileage for a extra 5k or so. But also in my opinon the s3s looks are a little to subtle and not to differnt from the a3s were as a k1 stands out alot (get looks/compliments all the time).

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Remap on the cupra will take it past the vxr, plus I thought the vxr brand was being dropped and going back to the gte? Could be wrong mind you

They've just brought out a new Astra VXR haven't they? Sure someone posted it in General Chat a week or so back.

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
Heres the link :) http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?154185-New-Astra-VXR-Photos-and-Press-Release

Just put a deposit on a Black 08 plate Cupra. Collecting it Monday night :) I just couldnt justify the extra for the S3. I got an ok part chop price on my LCR too. We also want to do a few bits and bobs on the house too, and what I have saved enables us to do that :) So I've managed to keep the mrs happy too :thumbup: I may be in a better posistion in 12 months time, but for now I'm happy with my purchase :) I'll be booking it in for a new zorst and remap on Monday :D

Back on topic, I never did have a reply for the numerous Emails I sent regarding this car.

Ken :)

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
Will do mate :)

Just been looking at your build thread Mark. Can see it's your pride and Joy :) looks [B)]: I'll see how this car is when it's mapped and may update the clutch like you have. I'm hoping it doesnt slip for a bit! I do also plan to go to stage 2+ in the future, so will need to update it at some point anyway :) I'm going to give my local dealership a bell about an Aero kit too this week. I think may go for the twin exhaust kit.

I'll start a new thread when it's been mapped :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members