Miss OLW's arosa build thread

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
i thought i would pop a copy of the build thread up of Miss OLW's wee arosa.

Ill make it as brief as possible, Myself and Jamiea7x from club lupo made a 1000mile round trip from glasgow to lowestoft in norfolk in a day ( yes we left at 9am and got home at 4.30am ) and drove through hail, sleet, snow, near white out conditions and brought the little car home back in december 2010. tragically, about a month after we got the car, the head went on it and it sat for a while untill we got round to fixing it. Time ticked on and nothing was happening, so i got a kick up the backside when we realised the tax was due up at the end of october 2011. Start the panic stations as it left us 8 weeks to get a car ready for an MOT and tax that hadnt turned a wheel since january. so the parts hoarding started.

heres some pics and specs

1.0S
RCL
leccy windows
MP3 CD player
131k miles on the clock.

from when we first got the car

DSC01542.jpg

DSC01543.jpg

DSC01541.jpg

needless to say the pink rear lights went

DSC01545.jpg

then the head decided to go and it coughed all its oil into the air box :( sad times

IMG-20110927-00027.jpg

IMG-20110927-00028.jpg

IMG-20110927-00029.jpg

the car stayed a bit broken for a few months and now all this has gone on

new rear drums, all painted up

Image070.jpg

new ARB bushed, new top mounts, new top mount rubbers

Image093-1.jpg

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
Lupo sport shocks and springs

Image100.jpg

me actually doing work for once

Image055-1.jpg

Image057-1.jpg

Image0702.jpg

then the front brakes ( 239mm x 10mm ) had jammed as well due to sitting for so long so i got a set of VW Polo GTi front hubs, arosa sport calipers and carriers, discs and pads beefing it up to 256mmx20mm front discs.

Image086.jpg

Image0932.jpg

Image092-1.jpg

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
rather than trying to rescue a 131k mile engine, i decided that a heart transplant would be easiest, so i managed to get a new engine out of a 2002 seat arosa with 57k on the clock :D it was as a bare engine so i got the old throttle body and cleaned it up

Image1032.jpg

and then built up the new engine as much as possible

Image096.jpg

so before i fitted everything i decided to get new wheel bearings for the front hubs while they were all out and got some lupo GTi wheel bearings and had them pressed in :D

Image112.jpg

THE REBUILD BEGINS!!!

the engine cover after cleaning out the oil of it,

Image0982.jpg

then after a clean up and a lick of paint

Image1022.jpg

Image1043.jpg

then finished with new filters

Image121.jpg

then the weekend of brake fitting

Image123.jpg

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
Image124.jpg

Image125.jpg

Image126.jpg

Image1222.jpg

Image130.jpg

Sadly when we went to get the front brakes done, some moron had crossed the splines on the driveshaft into the hub so we had to load up the car onto Mr AA mans trailer and off to the garage to get the new hubs fitted along with the new engine.

Image131.jpg

Image134.jpg

To make sure the wheels clear the new brakes, the car will also be running lupo sport 14" alloys as its only rolling 13" alloys at the moment lol!

more pics as i get them

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Good to see you back and tinkering with another wee beast :D Look forward to seeing the results :D :D :D

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
cheers boo!! you will love the new fabric we have got for the headliner :D but you will have to wait and see what thats like untill its fitted!!

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
gutted boo!! was it not a green leather with buttons sown into it to pull it down? not seen your wee car in donkeys!!! however i will warn you, miss OLW is rather partial to a patterned skull or two effect as well lol!

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I put a few pictures up in my RR thread. You have been away a long time ;) I have some new wheels on the way too. Just need to lower the beastie some more. VERY excited about the completed headlining now :D:D:D:D

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
i know, i had my plat grey arosa when i was last really on here that was on the floor, then i sold that and got a plat grey mk4 ibiza Cupra 20vT 180bhp, sold that and got a mk4 golf GTI TDi as well as a mk1 arosa that i had as a project car, sold both of them and got an Audi A4 1.9TDi Quattro estate which i mapped up to 180bhp 300lb of torque then sold that for a plat grey Leon Cupra TDi. Sold the Leon a while ago as i got bored of the leather seats pretty quickly and ive been kicking about in my dads Audi A2 1.4TDi for a while now.

Jesus!!! thats 6 cars in 3 years!!!! woops....

either way, yeah the headliner should look cool once its done, then its a case of getting the outside polished up to bring it back up a bit, and possibly a few other tweeks, the interior the plan is to rip it all out and go dark grey just now ....

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
wee update

so the new engine went to go in and the bottom end shells were shot, so we had to send that engine back and we picked up a new engine. The new brakes are on the car, had to up the size of the alloys as well to let them fit in! and the front end has now been stripped for the engine swap. turns out the reason we couldnt get the hub off was due to it was put on incorrectly. 20 tonnes of pressure in a bearing press and that much heat it boiled the wheelbearing grease in the old hub to get it off the driveshaft!

Image149.jpg

and as of today after i popped over to the garage

Image052-1.jpg

Image040.jpg

so the progress is slow, but we are getting there! engine *should* be in by friday :D

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
update -

Wednesday - ok, so the engine swap has been done and we found that the battery was shot to hell, 3 days on trickle charge and still couldnt start the car so a new battery was fitted and some new HT leads. the garage got bored and pulled the old engine appart, and they found a list of faults, including that the engine was rock solid as the coolant in the cylinder had rusted the piston in solid! so tomorow we should be fully up and running once again!!!

oh and on a brucey bonus, the water leak in the driverside footwell has gone away, looks like the water shedders need replaced in the doors lol!

Thursday - well the heart transplant has went well, the garage has had it running today and said " its firing on all 4 and sounds as sweet as a nut" and that it looked like the car had recently had a clutch done on it so another brucey bonus! they checked it over to make sure its selecting every gear and it looks like they need to adjust the cables slightly as they said its clipping reverse slightly so they are going to tweek it tomorow :D so all being well, that should be done tomorow,

weekend tasks

- rebuild the front end and realine headlamps as the passenger side one was slightly recessed before i took the front pannel off
- put the right size tyres on the new 14" alloys.

the tyres that are on are something like 175/60/14 or 175/65/14, either which way they are rubbing on the arches so im picking up some 185/55/14's. Hopefully that will stop the scrubbing and then we wont fail our MOT on that lol!

I will admit i know its going to fail its MOT on the following

- headlamp alinement
- wiper blades being shafted

so hopefully no more than that lol!

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
ok not much to report from today other than we went to test drive it and the clutch isnt wanting to clear reverse, so ive went and got a new clutch for it as well so a new Valeo clutch kit so hopefully that will resolve the problem as it was clearing reverse before the engine swap so its going to be something daft lol! so the clutch is being done on monday,

The tyres on the new 14" alloys did confuse me a bit lol! i thought they were 175/60/14 but they rubbed on the arches which i thought was odd as the standard tyres are 185/55/14 for the arosa's with 14'S. so i thought arse to it and went and picked up some part worn's for it just to get it through its MOT and found that the reason why the tyres were rubbing as there was 185/65/14's on them LOL! so the new tyres are mounted and on the car :D

little by little i am getting there with this car!!!

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
just a wee pic from today, sitting up on the ramp, waiting on its new clutch to be fitted tomorow :D

IMG-20111128-00075.jpg

mind you it does look a bit sad for itself with no front end on other than the slam roughly in place lol!

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
oh dear.. it has been a while since i last updated this...

After the engine was fitted and the new clutch were fitted the car was taken back to Elders to have the remainder of the work complete. Before the MOT we found that the boot handle had died and we had to replace that, the central locking is still acting up so we are running without the fuse in it at teh moment so its key locking at the moment as well. After the new boot handle and a new set of wipers we went in for the MOT test on Sat just there and passed

4 minnors -
near side lower suspension bush starting to show wear ( but no excess play )
offside lower suspension bush starting to show wear ( but no excess play )
exhaust starting to show signs of corrosion but no defect
rear brake line has surface corrosion

not to bad eh? new wishbone bushes ( might as well just do the wishbones with new bushes ready fitted ) an exhaust back box at £30 and a brake line to do at some point

so after being off the road for a year the arosa is back being taxed and MOT'd

took the car up to get the alinement done and the tie bars are too rusty to release the track rod end so we need new tie bars so prob get them done at the same time as the wishbones lol! heres a wee pic of getting the alinement done ( or atleast blow torching the daylights out of the track rod end locking but haha! )

IMG-20120206-00136.jpg

also i picked up a clean interior from a late 2002 car as well so a nice clean light grey interior to go in as well tonight :D

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
WOW! A serious amount of work gone into this motor. Look forward to seeing it all fully operational and on the road.

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
thanks JC! i know i was thinking about it earlier the only original parts are the shell, the body work pannels and the subframe haha!

heres the new interior

the new seat next to the old one lol! damn dampness!

IMG-20120209-00147.jpg

turns out the original passenger seat did not have height adjustment in it but the new one does :D

IMG-20120209-00148.jpg

IMG-20120209-00149.jpg

IMG-20120209-00150.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members